This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The…

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate (original 2015; edition 2014)

by Naomi Klein (Author)

"The most important book yet from the author of the international bestseller The Shock Doctrine, a brilliant explanation of why the climate crisis challenges us to abandon the core "free market" ideology of our time, restructure the global economy, and remake our political systems. In short, either we embrace radical change ourselves or radical changes will be visited upon our physical world. The status quo is no longer an option. In This Changes Everything Naomi Klein argues that climate change isn't just another issue to be neatly filed between taxes and health care. It's an alarm that calls us to fix an economic system that is already failing us in many ways. Klein meticulously builds the case for how massively reducing our greenhouse emissions is our best chance to simultaneously reduce gaping inequalities, re-imagine our broken democracies, and rebuild our gutted local economies. She exposes the ideological desperation of the climate-change deniers, the messianic delusions of the would-be geoengineers, and the tragic defeatism of too many mainstream green initiatives. And she demonstrates precisely why the market has not--and cannot--fix the climate crisis but will instead make things worse, with ever more extreme and ecologically damaging extraction methods, accompanied by rampant disaster capitalism. Klein argues that the changes to our relationship with nature and one another that are required to respond to the climate crisis humanely should not be viewed as grim penance, but rather as a kind of gift--a catalyst to transform broken economic and cultural priorities and to heal long-festering historical wounds. And she documents the inspiring movements that have already begun this process: communities that are not just refusing to be sites of further fossil fuel extraction but are building the next, regeneration-based economies right now. Can we pull off these changes in time? Nothing is certain. Nothing except that climate change changes everything. And for a very brief time, the nature of that change is still up to us"--… (more)
Member:tatuahponen
Title:This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate
Authors:Naomi Klein (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2014), Edition: 1st, 576 pages
Tags:to-read

This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate by Naomi Klein (2015)

English (35)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (39)
shelved in HT Green Library - by Reception - Monograph Library (R)
  HT.LibraryBooks | Jul 21, 2021 |
I found Naomi Klein's book, "This Changes Everything" somewhat difficult to get through. I could easily sense her passion for the subject, and she indicated that she spent five years researching and writing the book. But taking five years to write a book doesn't mean that every story, situation and example you documented over that period actually needs to be included in the book. At almost 600 pages, I started to glaze over significant sections of the book, especially when she seemed to drift off subject, such as when describing her challenges in having a child.
Also, when it comes to Climate Change, Klein comes across as an alarmist's alarmist. When some reject the actions suggested by climate activists because those steps are considered too "radical" or "excessive", they're probably referring to some of the ideas contained in this book. I understand that people may be more likely spurred to action by fear, by emphasizing the most negative aspects of a policy, and that a calm discussion of dry science and statistics don't grab most people or move them to action. But if it's true that half the people in our Country are unconvinced about the science behind climate change, then I don't feel there was enough in Klein's book to (1) first convince them of the science of climate change, and (2) then move them to action. That's especially true if the action she recommends is to stop using all fossil fuels immediately. Despite her suggestion that renewable energy sources can replace fossil fuels NOW, most experts tend to feel that's still an impractical solution for today, and interim steps will still be required as we wean ourselves off coal and push toward that goal.
In emphasizing the need for immediate action and not making the case to support her claims with sufficient facts and data, I felt that the book fell flat and may lose many who she's trying to convince. Her call to action may be music to the ears of her fellow believers, but those on the bubble or uncertain of the science are unlikely (in my opinion) to give up their SUV's or install solar panels on their roofs without a little more convincing.
Seeds of doubt about the science proliferate on blogs, talk radio, and much of the media, and anyone who's been impacted by those influences probably will need to hear a convincing counter argument before they'll be prodded to take all the immediate actions recommended by the author. On the other hand, those who already are convinced that continued carbon emissions will have catastrophic consequences in the immediate future should find the book a useful call to action.

rsutto22 | Jul 15, 2021 |
Klein's best book. ( )
  therebelprince | Jun 24, 2021 |
Naomi Klein’s “This Changes Everything” is an exceptional book. It is a deeply researched book. She is, evidently, committed to the cause of protecting our environment. If not, she would not have written a hard-hitting book like this one.
“This Changes Everything” is not an easy book to read. There is a lot of information! I will take time to process this. She has gone over much ground in the book and has also forced me to re-test my assessment of some well-known people. I am glad that she shattered some myths because we have a tendency to give divine status on people who we admire.
Naomi has covered many aspects of the battle for the earth, but her underlying theme is corporate greed. I am glad about this because it has exposed me to another aspect of climate change outside the science. I am always astonished by blind greed and ask myself the point of our education. ( )
  RajivC | Aug 31, 2020 |
Excellently written, dark account of climate change and neoliberalism, and how these two forces combine to disasterous effect. As Klein points out, many of us walk around with at least one eye closed to the effects of large-scale pollution on our climate, and here she tries to open both eyes. Sometimes prone to hyperbole, and the reference list is occasionally incomplete when looking for further information, but Klein includes a personal tone in her journalism and weaves a coherent story, eventually outlining the positivity behind the movement toward clean energy and community activism. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |

Klein, Naomiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Archer, EllenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"We need to remember that the work of our time is bigger than climate change. We need to be setting our sights higher and deeper. What we're really talking about, if we're honest with ourselves, is transforming everything about the way we live on this planet."
-- Rebecca Tarbotton, Executive Director of the Rainforest Action Network, 1973-2012

"In my books I've imagined people salting the Gulf Stream, damming the glaciers sliding off the Greenland ice cap, pumping ocean water into dry basins of the Sahara and Asia to create salt seas, pumping melted ice from Antarctica north to provide freshwater, genetically engineering bacteria to sequester more carbon in the roots of trees, raising Florida 30 feet to get it back above water, and (hardest of all) comprehensively changing capitalism."
-- Science fiction writer Kim Stanley Robinson, 2012
For Toma
A voice came over the intercom: would the passengers of Flight 3935, scheduled to depart Washington, D.C., for Charleston, South Carolina, kindly collect their carry-on luggage and get off the plane. (Introduction)
... The [climate change] deniers, and the ideological movement from which they sprang, won the battle over which values should govern our society. Their vision – that greed should guide us – has dramatically remade our world over the last four decades ...
... the real reason we are failing to rise to the climate moment is because the actions required directly challenge our reigning economic paradigm (deregulated capitalism combined with public austerity)

In Naomi Klein argues that climate change isn’t just another issue to be neatly filed between taxes and health care. It’s an alarm that calls us to fix an economic system that is already failing us in many ways. Klein meticulously builds the case for how massively reducing our greenhouse emissions is our best chance to simultaneously reduce gaping inequalities, re-imagine our broken democracies, and rebuild our gutted local economies. She exposes the ideological desperation of the climate-change deniers, the messianic delusions of the would-be geoengineers, and the tragic defeatism of too many mainstream green initiatives. And she demonstrates precisely why the market has not—and cannot—fix the climate crisis but will instead make things worse, with ever more extreme and ecologically damaging extraction methods, accompanied by rampant disaster capitalism.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,285,640 books! | Top bar: Always visible