HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Annotated Shakespeare: The Comedies, Histories, Sonnets and Other…

by William Shakespeare, A. L. Rowse (Editor)

Series: The Annotated Shakespeare (Complete 1-3)

3 Volumes in one, with 4200 b/w illustrations and 12 color plates.
  Mapguy314 | Apr 18, 2022 |
Heh. Well, here it is. I used to own the Norton First Folio Shakespeare. It was an amazing piece of work for Shakespeare reading groups. But I eventually had to sell it (poverty sucks!). So now I have this ( which many people in the SRG I belonged to had), and it is perfectly adequate for the study of the plays. The annotations and illustrations are quite entertaining. Excellent stuff!! Now to find a Shakespeare reading group! ( )
1 vote Farree | Apr 27, 2018 |
I love Rowse. I love his eccentric and opinionated annotations. When I want Shakespeare, I go to my old copy of A.L.Rowse's "The Annotated Shakespeare". I always found Rowse’s edition to be a bit easier and more flavorful than the other annotated versions out there. Once I got deep into Shakespeare, I found that there were lots of ongoing feuds in the footnotes. I couldn’t care less. The main reason I bought this edition was not because it was “eccentric, opinionated, easier and more flavorful”, but because my first “encounter” with it was through Star Trek TNG! (you didn't expect that, did you??)

If you're into Shakespeare and Star Treak, read the rest of the review on my blog. ( )
  antao | Dec 10, 2016 |
Does it really weigh 8 pounds? I'm not going to get my scale out. It seems the lover of Shakespeare or the reluctant newcomer would be inspired by this heavily (pun intended) illustrated edition. Each Comedy, Tragedy, History, Sonnet or Poem includes an introduction.
  MarieTea | Apr 21, 2012 |
Too large to read but it has hundreds of great old out-of-copyright illustrations, mostly from the 19th century.
  TomReedy | Feb 26, 2011 |

Shakespeare, Williamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rowse, A. L.Editormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Contains

This is the Annotated Edition prepared by A. L. Rowse. As it contains a significant amount of editorial material in addition to the texts I feel it is appropriate to maintain it as a separate work from the other "Complete Shakespeares".

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,611,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible