Magic Binds

by Ilona Andrews

Series: Kate Daniels (9)

"The new, "heart-stopping" novel in the New York Times bestselling series that "defines urban fantasy." Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she's faced could have prepared her for this... Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar... Kate's father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead. The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules... "Fresh Fiction"--… (more)

English (35)  French (1)  All languages (36)
I was seriously tempted to just post gifs of kittens and puppies prancing all over the place and calling that my review. I just don't know if I can talk about this book in a coherent manner.

I have been reading the Kate Daniels series for years. I first started reading it when I was overseas. I was not overwhelmed by the first three books, but then books #4 and on just grabbed on to me and never let me go. I wish I still had my reviews of those earlier books (oh well, maybe I can post them again when I have time one day) but the only true stumble for me was book #6 "Magic Rises". There was so much wrong with what was going on with Kate and Curran in that book I was just ticked, I didn't know if the series would be able to course correct and we got books #7 and #8 and we had all sorts of changes to Kate and Curran and their Pack.

Now with book #9 things have fundamentally changed. Kate and Curran have left the Pack. They are trying to rebuild the Mercenary Guild and keep an eye on their adopted daughter Julie. And keeping their close friends safe from Kate's power mad father Roland.

After the last book, Kate agreed to a date to marry Curran. Now with their wedding date fast approaching, Kate is told to visit three witches (I love the maiden, mother, and crone in this one) who tell her that if she marries Curran he dies, and if she somehow manages to marry him and he lives, their unborn son is going to die. Both will end up being murdered by her father. And what does Kate do, decides to go head to head with her father until one of them is left standing.

We have a lot of callbacks in this ninth book, so I suggest if you are new to the series, you don't start here. One of the callbacks is about how Curran messed things up royally between him and Kate in book #6 and I cracked up everytime she threw that down. Yes he deserved it, and yes I am glad that the authors seemed to realize a lot of readers (me) are still mad about the nonsense that went on.

With a lot of secrets out of the bag in this one (and boy there are a lot) you get to see why Roland has been hesitant to go after Kate and just kill her once and for all. And you get to see who the other beings (vampires, witches, a demi-god and a god of terror) are going to throw their lots in with.

I thought Kate was great in this one. She is at times scarily like her father and we get to see why (I loved that whole reveal) and seems to be getting keeping her friends safe and her claim on Atlanta muddled. It was nice to walk through and not have everything be perfect just because we have Kate thinking her way is right.

Curran and Kate still have a lot of back and forth and some sexy scenes (or two) but we get to see how wonderful they work together and how much they love each other. Other characters call it out a lot and one even remarks on how Curran and Kate were when fighting the big bad (TM Buffy) in the last book and it woke up everyone to how much they love each other.

We also get some interactions with Julie and Kate. And boy was it needed. I still think she needs smacked upside the head, but at least she's not completely stupid. I loved Julie and Derek in "Magic Stars" so we already know what Julie knows and feels about things, but now we get to see Kate's point of view. And we finally get them talking to each other which was needed. Heck, I think at this point, besides Curran, Julie sees and gets Kate the most.

There seems to be a rift with Kate and Derek a bit, I hope that it gets fixed or acknowledged in the next book.

We get appearances by other fan favorites like Andrea and Raphael, Roman (can we get a Roman novella? He and his family are fascinating and straight up hilarious) Saiman, Rowena, Ghastek, etc. I can't believe that everyone got a little piece in this story and managed to make me feel and just sigh over and over again. I especially loved Mahon finally coming around (or maybe was always around) regarding Kate.

I especially love how Kate ends up getting help and the person who ends up helping blew my mind. I definitely did not see that coming.

The writing was top-notch. I laughed a couple of times and worried a lot. The flow was smooth from beginning to end. We even get Kate talking to another god (there's a lot) that I recognized from "American Gods" (no not the same character as in that book) so I already knew about him and was curious. I also loved that Andrews included in some more biblical references and the whole reveal regarding Adam was straight up thought provoking. I swear the authors should do a standalone reference guide for this series explaining every being and myth story out there. I love their takes on things.

The world-building in "Magic Binds" is still one of the best in an urban fantasy series I have read. A lot of times, authors forget the rules in the world they have made, but with all of the callbacks with Kate and friends, you pretty much realize the authors have forgotten nothing.

The ending was great, but also a bit dark. Because we have Kate finding out something else, and based on visions of what is to come, we know why this may be a very bad thing. My money is on Kate and Curran though. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
These don't really need review. I struggled a little bit with this one, and did enjoy the Kate/Curran dynamic.

samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
This is a more mature tale from this great Husband and Wife team, easily, and the relationship between Curran and Kate reflects it. I can't be happier.

When it comes to plot, of course, we have one hell of a string of previous novels to build and explode all over these pages, too, and the surprises are generally both horrific and pleasing.

Unfortunately, I can't gush over all the wonderful characters who return or who are developed or the other subset of characters who are wonderfully missing from these pages unless I start going into spoiler territory, but I will say that Family is full of Joys and Terrors, no?

ROLAND! He's a character and a half, and I mean that any way you wish. I can't help but think that he's truly tragic and absolutely delightful while simultaneously wishing I could throw the entire board of the Geneva Convention against him. What a guy. What a horrible, evil, no good guy! I mean, he wants to run ramshod over the menu at the wedding and kill their unborn son! What the hell?

When it comes to action, though, I loved this one. When love and war comes at them at almost the same time, things will never be the same. The binding, as you might guess, is a very happy wedding, btw. :) I know lots of people who will start gushing over that scene. These guys are a very lovable couple. Roar. :)

What and end, though. If the rumors are true, then there's only one more book in this series. I can see it. Things are beginning to wrap up, but the REALLY big action has yet to come. At least Kate and Curran and Co might actually have a spitball's chance in hell, this time. Maybe.

Or maybe not. Oh goodness. This a mark of a really good writer, no? I can't guess whether the end will be happy or not. Eeek. I wait with baited breath for the next. ; ; ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
5 star reviews suck

They gush. They slobber. They worship the immense talent that they have witnessed. It's disgusting.

I never read them because they lie. "This is the bestest book evur!!!" I can show you dozens of volumes of garbage that have five star reviews that ^rave^ at how good the book is.

One star reviews are often worse.

And yet...I gave this book five stars.

First, I don't recommend jumping in at this book. There are several in the series before this.

But...you ^can^ just read this book.

And when you read about a pegasus harassing geese, you'll understand. Images like that, with a solid story behind it...that's five-star work all the way. It's so solidly construct it feels *real*.

wildwily | May 28, 2020 |
5 star reviews suck

One star reviews are often worse.

And yet...I gave this book five stars.

But...you ^can^ just read this book.

wildwily | May 28, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

To Uncle Gene. We miss you.
The skull glared at me out of empty eye sockets.
[Roman and to Kate after they've brought up Kate's lack of preparation for her wedding & some of the persons invited]

'Kate, you're a good person. But you're delusional. That's okay. You're getting married. You're supposed to be delusional, irrational, and crazy.'

'Again, this wedding is for me and Curran. You're not turning it into a three-ring circus.'

'No.' Roman got up off his chair. 'The wedding night is for you and Curran. The wedding is the price you pay so you can get to the wedding night. Don't worry. I'll take care of everything.' [...] (chapter 3)

Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this…

Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar…

Kate’s father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead.

The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,900,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible