Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews

Magic Triumphs

by Ilona Andrews

I have loved the Kate Daniels series from book one! This was a series that grabbed onto my interest and did not let go. I loved the evolution of Kate’s character in this series and the relationship that developed between her and Curran was swoon worthy! I have come to love all the characters in this series and will admit to having a heavy heart that it was coming to an end, but what a series ending Magic Triumphs was!

This story was intense, endearing, and wonderfully executed! The inclusion of Kate and Curran’s son into this plot showed a different side to both of them and I loved that. Kate is a pretty chill character unless you mess with someone she cares for and to see her go mama bear in this story was entertaining every single time. Curran had his role in this book too but he was away a lot but….when the reason why he was gone comes out it is mind blowing.

Overall, Magic Triumphs was a wonderful series ending book but it was not as action packed as I would have liked. I would say that the pacing of 2/3rds of the book was slow and then the last 1/3rd was go, go, go! It wasn’t unenjoyable but it wasn’t what I was looking for either. Also, I am hopeful that there might be an inclusion of a certain character in The Iron Covenant series or a spinoff by how the book ended. If either of those scenarios be the case, then I will be very happy. Magic Triumphs was a wonderful story and I highly recommend it and the series to all readers. ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Dec 12, 2018 |
The final Kate Daniels book, though there’s a setup for more in the same universe should the market demand. We start with baby Declan already a toddler, which makes some sense given the difficulties of fighting epic battles while still nursing. Kate’s father has been quiescent for a while when a new threat starts liquefying entire small towns outside the city limits. (And yes, I mean liquefying, not liquidating.) She’s forced into an alliance with him to deal with it, but how will she avoid his hunger for his grandson? The uncertainty is really who lives and dies, and I’m not sure there were enough of the latter for a post-GoT epic, but it wasn’t an embarrassing conclusion and Kate certainly earned a rest. ( )
  rivkat | Nov 26, 2018 |
Final book in the Kate Daniels series. Lots of magic, action scenes, familiar characters, and appearances of some I didn't expect -- Hugh. The only reason this is not a 5 is that I'm sad that this is the last and that I've discovered that I like the Innkeeper series even better. I was sorry that some characters I liked got killed but I suppose that's necessary to make the battles more real. I suspect we will see more of Julie. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Oct 5, 2018 |
Holy Shitake, the things I have witnessed, unspeakable, fantastic, horrific, beautiful things, all the feels on steroids. I will miss this world and the characters. ( )
  TheYodamom | Sep 24, 2018 |
I've had a hard time reading the last few books for some reason. Might be why I'm going to have to check this out from the library again. Heavy, that's it, it feels emotionally/mentally heavy. So I'm at chapter 11 and need to return. Will finish in a couple weeks.
  pnwbookgirl | Sep 24, 2018 |
Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews
Urban Fantasy - August 28th, 2018
4 ½ stars

Magic Triumphs is the final installment in the Kate Daniels series. A sad moment in the Urban Fantasy genre. However, the authors have a spin off series (Iron Covenant) and possibly more stories with characters from this series may be in the works.

Kate and her lion shifter husband, Curran are finally starting their family with the new addition of their son, Conlan. Conlan is little ball of energy with many hidden talents. But their family life will never be normal as Kate’s mega-manic father is bent on complete domination of Atlanta. The city she has vowed protection over. Plus he also wants to kill her newborn son since Conlan is a threat to her father’s power. In addition, mysterious mass murders are cropping up. Ones that are not related to her father, but an unknown magical force that wants to claim Kate and her city. Unfortunately, this new power is stronger that even Kate can battle, can she convince her diabolical father to help before all she loves disappears?

This book wraps ups many loose ends and is surprisingly short. I liked a lot about this story. The biggest one being Conlan. He has charm to spare and powers that don’t seem to stop. ( Wouldn’t it be great for him to have his own series later?!) It was interesting to read Kate being a mother, I liked this softer side that she often does not show even to her closest friends. Kate and Curran still make a amazing team and I enjoyed reading how they are supportive and care for each other. There are some surprises as enemies becomes allies and good friends seem to have a strange character adjustments. Certain larger characters like the Bouda Clan (Andrea and Ascanio) and Jim and Dali are scarce. Since I’ve ‘grown up’ with these character it was almost like by omitting them the authors were saying good bye. I hope this isn’t true. Maybe their absence means they are leaving it open for potential future stories to be written about them. There was one big change I was disheartened by, the change in sweet-natured, Dali’s character. I loved her from the short novellas the authors had written before. However, Kate’s crazy family finally seems to become a real one that works. I enjoyed this book but for some reason I thought there would be more. I think that happens when authors create a world and characters that are like your best friends you don’t want to let go -no matter what happens.

Reviewed by Steph from the Bookaholics Romance Book Club
added by 1BookaholicsReviewer | editBookaholics Romance Book Club, Bookaholics Romance Book Club

To the readers
The pain spread from my hips into my whole body, pulling my bones apart.

Kate has come a long way from her origins as a loner taking care of paranormal problems in post-Shift Atlanta. She's made friends and enemies. She's found love and started a family with Curran Lennart, the former Beast Lord. But her magic is too strong for the power players of the world to let her be.Kate and her father, Roland, currently have an uneasy truce, but when he starts testing her defenses again, she knows that sooner or later, a confrontation is inevitable.The Witch Oracle has begun seeing visions of blood, fire, and human bones. And when a mysterious box is delivered to Kate's doorstep, a threat of war from the ancient enemy who nearly destroyed her family, she knows their time is up.Kate Daniels sees no other choice but to combine forces with the unlikeliest of allies. She knows betrayal is inevitable. She knows she may not survive the coming battle. But she has to try. For her child. For Atlanta. For the world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,798,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible