Displacement by Lucy Knisley

Displacement

by Lucy Knisley

I loved this beautiful memoir about the author's cruise with her aging grandparents. I happened to read it just after visiting my own grandparents and so it had a much deeper impact than I was expecting. Knisley shows the pain and beauty of watching the people you love lose parts of themselves as their memories and abilities start to disappear. Her reflections are paired with her illustrations making the reader struggle through this trip with her.

“Whenever I travel through crowded places, I’m struck by how human beings en masse are so incredibly hideous, while individual humans can be so heartbreakingly beautiful. Congregated: ugly, ubiquitous, and repellent. Individually: nuanced, intricate, beautiful, and unknowable. Fragile, separate, singular… Fascinating. This just kills me.”

“Perhaps the very uncertainty of one’s future and the absence of moral restrictions during wartime enables one to enjoy life‘s pleasures more fully then during normal times.” ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 20, 2018 |
Her art is lovely and full of unusual details, but the same problems persist across all of her books. (I keep reading them because of the art and because the time investment required is so small.) She is so hyper-privileged. White and thin and talented and healthy, comparatively wealthy but clearly doesn't see herself that way, it's hard for an outsider not to want her to just quit whining already. Which isn't fair, I know that everyone's problems feel huge in their own lives. Exploring that space can be interesting, but here it just makes me grit my teeth. Subtle fat-shaming is universal in her work, as is harsh judgment of those she clearly considers less cultured than herself - I think I just talked myself into quitting Knisley for good. ( )
  chelseaknits | Dec 14, 2017 |
I was very happy to receive an ARC of this! I've been a fan of Lucy Knisley for a while. I believe I was first introduced to her work through other artists I follow on DeviantArt. Her comics are like a journal entry from a friend. Very personal and sincere. If you haven't followed her comic, please visit: lucyknisley.com/comic/

Overall, with Displacement: A Travelogue, I was very impressed by her honest and sensitive exploration of aging and her relationship to her grandparents. Before reading it, I wrongly assumed there would be the old stereotype of grandparents nagging younger generations about marriage, kids, work, and the good old days. I'm happy to report that Displacement is so much more than that. It's a very mature look at family, caring for elderly family members, allowing them to still have their freedoms, working to preserve their legacy, and striving to grow closer.

I was a little shocked that with health problems and Alzheimer's, Knisley's grandparents wanted to go on a cruise. The line between safety and freedom was very thought-provoking. I appreciated Knisley's honesty that if she didn't go with her grandparents, few people in her family would. I hate to think of what could have happened to the couple if she hadn't been there. Helping them was a major undertaking that not many individual would have wanted to do alone.

I definitely plan to read more of Knisley's work in the future! I've enjoyed her strong and authentic voice. ( )
  vonze | Sep 19, 2017 |
I loved this bittersweet tale of a young woman taking her elderly grandparents on a cruise. If you are dealing with someone older on a daily basis, many things will ring true. I thought she dealt with the complex subjects of doing good and family demands remarkably well. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Jun 25, 2017 |
Just delightful—a story of the author accompanying her elderly grandparents on a cruise. What can I say?—a lot of the dementia jokes made me laugh out loud, which is always a good thing. It was very sweet and funny. ( )
  lisapeet | Jun 4, 2017 |

"In the next installment of her graphic memoir series, Displacement, Knisley volunteers to watch over her ailing grandparents on a cruise. (The book's watercolors evoke the ocean that surrounds them.) In a book that is part graphic memoir, part travelogue, and part family history, Knisley not only tries to connect with her grandparents, but to reconcile their younger and older selves. She is aided in her quest by her grandfather's WWII memoir, which is excerpted. Readers will identify with Knisley's frustration, her fears, her compassion, and her attempts to come to terms with mortality, as she copes with the stress of travel complicated by her grandparents' frailty" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,608,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible