I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii, AD 79

by Lauren Tarshis

Series: I Survived (10)

"During the infamous eruption of Mount Vesuvius, one boy struggles to escape. Can he survive the most devastating disaster of ancient times? In this thrilling addition to the bestselling I SURVIVED series, readers are taken back to antiquity with a young boy trying to escape as the giant Mount Vesuvius erupts. Does he have what it takes to survive the epic destruction of Pompeii?" --… (more)

Written for middle school students, this is the fact-filled, exciting story of Marcus, a slave-boy of that age and his father, Tata [Latin for Daddy], and how they escape the Vesuvius eruption of 79 A.D. and head for Rome. The author also works into the story details of Pompeiian life and civilization. I read this in under half an hour and a a possible Christmas gift for one of my grandchildren. The whole "I survived" series is worth seeking out for young readers of 4th to 7th grade.

Recommended. ( )
  janerawoof | Dec 1, 2020 |
Marcus is a slave in ancient Rome. His father has been sold as a gladiator. As Marcus misses his father and feels afraid of the strange earth tremors that have been shaking Pompeii. he wonders how the other residents of the city can just ignore the shaking, continuing on with Gladiator games and parades, shopping in the marketplace, and other daily activities like nothing is wrong. When the mountain starts spewing ash, rocks and heat, Marcus and his father warn the people of Pompeii and then attempt to escape. Can they get out of the city before the mountain explodes?

This series is historical fiction written for middle-grade kids. Each book is a great mix of historical fact and fictionalized story. The main characters are children who tell eye-witness accounts of how they survived a dangerous event in history. Ranging from modern events like 9/11 to ancient disasters like the destruction of Pompeii, this series tells the tale in an age-appropriate way. This series could definitely be used in a classroom setting as supplemental reading on history, exciting stories to tempt reluctant readers or just as part of a classroom or school library. The books would also be great for reading out loud at home. As an adult, I enjoy reading middle-grade books as a bit of a break between heavier adult fiction. I love history so I enjoy this series just as much as most kids! :)

I Survived the Destruction of Pompeii is the 10th book in this series. There are 16 books, with a 17th coming out in September 2018. Each book is about 100 pages long, so the length is perfect for middle-grade students or adults wanting a quick, entertaining read. ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,388,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible