Prelude to Bruise by Saeed Jones

Prelude to Bruise

by Saeed Jones

To say that Saeed Jones is intense, is an understatement. Just when I think that I cannot have a more emotional response to a poem, the next poem hits me in the guts again. I am not one to typically read a book of poetry, but I am glad this one fell into my lap when it did. Dealing with gender, race, and loss, Jones' poems take readers on an emotional tailspin if you take the time to listen. Poetry isn't for everyone, but this is poetry worth reading.

For a more detailed reflection on Saeed Jones' Prelude to Bruise ( )
  CJ82487 | Mar 20, 2018 |
When does the gene that allows one to enjoy poetry kick in? I just don't get it. I see that this collection is good, I see that there are some striking images, I see that much of it is powerful. But it doesn't resonate with me or effect me much. I looked up Saeed Jones when I picked up this collection off my shelf, and I ended up reading one of his essays online. And OMG, give me more of *that*. The medium of poetry just doesn't work for me, I guess. If it works for you, get you a copy of this collection. Because you, I think, will love it.
  lycomayflower | Feb 6, 2018 |
6 out of 5.

I didn't exactly mean to survive myself.
-- "Post-Apocalyptic Heartbeat"

Because I follow Saeed on Twitter, I happened to see a tweet a little while back where he said "I'm really glad I didn't kill myself in 2011. It's good to still be here." and having read this collection... I suppose, all I can say is that I'm really glad, too. These poems are so full of power and emotion that they can be a little scary sometimes - a little intimidating - but they're not only some of the best poems I've ever read... they're some of the best things I've ever read period. If you're a nerd like me, you can have fun watching him use septameter and then breaking the meter (see: "Thralldom II") or doing any sorts of other linguistic tricks - and if you're just a passing traveler, read "Boy in a Whalebone Corset". Actually, pick any poem and you'll find something to appreciate and enjoy, whether you're a poetry fan or not. This is a beautiful, haunting, nearly perfect collection.

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2015/02/27/prelude-to-bruise/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
6 out of 5.

I didn't exactly mean to survive myself.
-- "Post-Apocalyptic Heartbeat"

More at RB: http://ragingbiblioholism.com/2015/02/27/prelude-to-bruise/ ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |

With rootless cosmopolitanism, formal rigor, and the fluidity of slam, Jones explores questions of sexuality, race, and shifting identity.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,030,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible