The Kindness Diaries: One Man's Quest…

The Kindness Diaries: One Man's Quest to Ignite Goodwill and…

by Leon Logothetis

Look at me! I'm so great! I thought this would be a good read after a week or so of what seemed like really terrible news and stress. A man decides his life is currently unfulfilling and  wants to try to ignite kindness in the world. This is his journey.

Long story short? He mooches off of people but does repay them in some form or another. However, what this boils down to is a relatively well-off white man who can afford to travel around the world and pretend he's amazing by giving some of these generous gifts. Initially it's not so bad and it seems like an interesting experiment when he pays for a couple to attend their son's wedding and similar things.

But I got uncomfortable when he travels to places like India and describes the very poor people there. And yet: he had found "...it was difficult to find people to give me things they did not have." Uh, really? What else did you figure out, Captain Obvious?

And in the end, it's really more about himself than it is about these people's circumstances. While I understand this was his experience, that he was not looking to become an expert or academic on the economic plight of some people in India (for example), overall I just couldn't stand how narcissistic, how "Look at me, I'm so awesome by giving out all this money to people!"

Not to mention that he apparently had a camera crew, so he wasn't actually alone and helpless. Sometimes he wrote the book like he was actually alone, but that is apparently not true. I couldn't like the book. It was eye-rolling at times and while it's great that he did these things and helped these people, it seemed a lot more like what HE was getting out of it, rather than what happened when he gifted to others.

I got this ARC from someone who was donating some books, so luckily I didn't waste a dime on this. I wouldn't recommend it, especially as I don't know how many people could afford to do this AND feel comfortable/safe traveling the world so. There are many other similar stories out there, and better written ones too. Skip this one.

acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
While not a great writer, Logothetis certainly has a big, golden heart which makes this book engaging and and warm. Through trauma and humor, he stumbles and roars his way around the world on kindness alone. His final "follow-up" chapter is especially nice. ( )
  omphalos02 | Nov 2, 2014 |

"The incredible journey of one man who sets out to circumnavigate the globe on a vintage motorbike fueled by kindness. Follow the inspirational journey of a former stockbroker who leaves his unfulfilling desk job in search of a meaningful life. He sets out from Los Angeles on a vintage motorbike, determined to circumnavigate the globe surviving only on the kindness of strangers. Incredibly, he makes his way across the U.S., through Europe, India, Cambodia, and Vietnam, and finally to Canada and back to the Hollywood sign, by asking strangers for shelter, food, and gas. Again and again, he's won over by the generosity of humanity, from the homeless man who shares his blanket to the poor farmer who helps him with his broken down bike, and the HIV-positive mother who takes him in and feeds him. At each stop, he finds a way to give back to these unsuspecting Good Samaritans in life-changing ways, by rebuilding their homes, paying for their schooling, and leaving behind gifts big and small. The Kindness Diaries will introduce you to a world of adventure, renew your faith in the bonds that connect people, and inspire you to accept and generate kindness in your own life"--… (more)

Leon Logothetis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,819,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible