The Art of Asking: How I learned to stop…

The Art of Asking: How I learned to stop worrying and let people help (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Amanda Palmer (Author)

Rock star, crowdfunding pioneer, and TED speaker Amanda Palmer knows all about asking. Performing as a living statue in a wedding dress, she wordlessly asked thousands of passersby for their dollars. When she became a singer, songwriter, and musician, she was not afraid to ask her audience to support her as she surfed the crowd (and slept on their couches while touring). And when she left her record label to strike out on her own, she asked her fans to support her in making an album, leading to the world's most successful music Kickstarter. Even while Amanda is both celebrated and attacked for her fearlessness in asking for help, she finds that there are important things she cannot ask for-as a musician, as a friend, and as a wife. She learns that she isn't alone in this, that so many people are afraid to ask for help, and it paralyzes their lives and relationships. In this groundbreaking book, she explores these barriers in her own life and in the lives of those around her, and discovers the emotional, philosophical, and practical aspects of THE ART OF ASKING. Part manifesto, part revelation, this is the story of an artist struggling with the new rules of exchange in the twenty-first century, both on and off the Internet. THE ART OF ASKING will inspire readers to rethink their own ideas about asking, giving, art, and love.… (more)
Member:Hilgendorf-Evans
Title:The Art of Asking: How I learned to stop worrying and let people help
Authors:Amanda Palmer (Author)
Info:Piatkus (2014), 352 pages

The Art of Asking: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Let People Help by Amanda Palmer (2014)

English (45)  Dutch (1)  All languages (46)
I listened to this on audiobook. I figured that since Amanda Palmer is a fantastic musician that this would be nice to listen to because there would be special attention paid to sound quality and whatnot. Nope. Wrong. I didn't finish because it sounded like she was mumbling most of the time and I often couldn't understand her. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
memoir/the human experience - on audio.
I think I found this book listed on one of those "best of audiobooks" lists and as the author was an accomplished TEDtalker (whose video I hadn't yet seen) and also a human statue(!) I thought I'd try it, so I put my name on the waitlist at my library and finally, weeks later, my eaudiobook copy was ready to download and borrow.

I was pleasantly surprised by how charming Amanda is as a narrator. Her stories are funny and fascinating and beautiful and sometimes sad, and her positivity and maybe even her vulnerability help me cope with other parts of the world being awful. Bonus: inside scoop on Neil Gaiman as a human being who grew up British and didn't know how to act around sick people--their love story and resulting marriage together also make lovely and interesting stories.
I don't know if this book is quite as charming in print (the audio version has all the extras of Amanda's voice, songs from her band, and even her ukulele accompaniment), possibly it might drag a bit, but I would recommend this to anyone looking for something both real and positive. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
After hearing Amanda's Ted talk, I was excited to hear she had a book out that elaborated on the topic. The title of the book makes it sound like it's in the self help genre, but actually this is a memoir using asking for help as a unifying theme throughout her life. The openness of the memoir, and the issues she faced were refreshing to hear. An optimistic story that left me feeling good and wanting to read more by Neil Gaiman (her husband). ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
I had been wanting to read Amanda Palmer's book, The Art of Asking, for awhile, but I couldn't afford it, so when I found out about a deal at Audiobooks.com, I chose it as my freebie. There were so many other books on my wishlist, but Amanda Palmer narrates the book herself, and there's the "extra" of a few music tracks. So, I figured, if there's one book I'd likely enjoy as an audiobook, it would be this one. I'm so glad I chose it, instead of something else. This book is beyond amazing!

The entire book felt like a never-boring conversation between life-long friends. I listened to it while commuting to and from school (an hour each way), but also at every point in my day when I had a couple minutes to spare. That meant a book that, clocking in at 11 hours and 30 minutes, should have taken me 6 days to finish, only took 4 days instead. However, If I had been reading the hardcover, instead of listening, I think it would have taken much longer. There are just so many quotes that I would have had to stop and think about and then highlight and write notes in the margins, if not longer "notes" in my journal. There would have been moments when I would need to stop reading so I could let out all the feels this book brought on, and I would have stopped too many times to count in order to dog ear pages. I frequently thought that someone needs to come up with an app to "bookmark" passages in audiobooks, and there were several times when I came close to having to pull over so I could let the tears flow safely. I don't know how I managed to hold myself together long enough to get to school or home.

I loved The Art of Asking so much that I bought a physical copy. The boyfriend later made it a gift, when I told him that this book was the best non-fiction book I've ever read that I HAD to buy it, regardless of the hardcover price tag. His other reason might have been that I wouldn't shut up about the book, Amanda Palmer, or Neil Gaiman, and maybe paying for the book would finally earn him a subject change. I greatly look forward to rereading it, and I can't recommend it enough. I somewhat understand why it's labeled as "Self-Help", but I think it fits better into the auto-biography or memoir categories. Really, it's a one-on-one, sit down, with an endless cup of coffee or glass of wine, conversation with a best friend. Unfortunately there's no category for that in bookstores and libraries. ( )
  FortifiedByBooks | Jan 5, 2021 |
I'll admit to never having heard of Amanda Palmer until I read an introduction she wrote to Cory Doctorow's book Information Doesn't Want To Be Free. I liked what she had to say, and so I picked this up. She, and her book, have inspired me. I don't say that lightly. I'm not a big giver of 5 star reviews, but I will say it about her. The book itself is a collection of moments, but they are well written ones. I'm not sure I could be so open, nor be open to the amount of abuse she gets, but it made me think about art, about being an artist and who gets to call themselves that. ( )
  Colleen5096 | Oct 29, 2020 |
Review by: Mark Palm
Full reviews at: http://thebookendfamily.weebly.com/bl...

I first became aware of Amanda Palmer as the lead singer/songwriter of The Dresden Dolls, a duo most often called punk cabaret, but really just unclassifiable. Labels and categories drive me crazy, but whatever you called them I recognized that Ms. Palmer was an excellent songwriter with a distinct and unique voice. Writing a song and writing a book are two very different things, and not a whole lot of people have been good at both, but after reading The Art of Asking I can definitely say that Ms. Palmer has got the act down cold.

Like most of her songs, this book doesn’t fall easily into a category, but instead moves effortlessly through a several different genres; autobiography, self-help, and a treatise/meditation on art, artists, and not surprisingly, the Art of Asking, which in the author’s eyes lies at the heart of the most important human endeavors, particularly matters of art, and of the heart. What makes this book so successful is Ms. Palmer’s skill at moving between the different styles of the book, while always writing with talent and deep emotion. As the story unwinds from her early days as a street performer to the creation of the Dresden Dolls, to her current life, it skips back in forth in time and place, a technique that could be confusing in lesser hands, but one that Ms. Palmer pulls off effortlessly. Ms. Palmer does an exceptional job at mixing the particulars of her private life with her musings on the nature of art, and using examples of one to highlight the other. It certainly helps that she has led such an interesting and varied life, and is so able to write about it with such open-ness and sincerity. I could probably hook you in even more by telling you the details, but I really dislike being a spoiler, so I‘ll just let you find out for yourself what an interesting book this really is.

One thing I haven’t done yet, but am going to as soon as I am able, is check out the soundtrack that is available on- line to augment this book. Ms. Palmer is, after all, a musician first and foremost, and I expect that the music she has picked will be a wonderful compliment to this work. Either way it stands just fine as it is, alone. If Ms. Palmer has any doubts left about her ability to write a book, she should jettison them. I was both surprised and moved by The Art of Asking, and I look forward eagerly to see what she will do next.
I see you, Amanda.

Palmer, Amandaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brown, BrenéForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my Mutti, who, through her love, first taught me how to ask
A decade or so ago in Boston, Amanda performed on the street as a human statue--a white faced, eight-foot-tall bride statue to be exact.
Who's got a tampon?;I just got my period, I will announce loudly to nobody in particular in a women's bathroom in a San Francisco restaurant, or to a co-ed dressing room of a music festival in Prague, or to the unsusepcting gatherers in a kitchen at a party in Sydney, Munich, or Cincinnati.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,624,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible