The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, 2)…

The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, 2) (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Danielle Paige (Author)

Series: Dorothy Must Die (2)

In this New York Times bestselling sequel to Dorothy Must Die, who is good--and who is actually Wicked? The Wicked Will Rise is perfect for fans of richly reimagined fairy tales and classic tales like Marissa Meyer's Lunar Chronicles and Gregory Maguire's Wicked. My name is Amy Gumm--and I'm the other girl from Kansas. After a tornado swept through my trailer park, I ended up in Oz. But it wasn't like the Oz I knew from books and movies. Dorothy had returned, but she was now a ruthless dictator. Glinda could no longer be called the Good Witch. And the Wicked Witches who were left? They'd joined forces as the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked, and they wanted to recruit me. My mission? Kill Dorothy. Except my job as assassin didn't work out as planned. Dorothy is still alive. The Order has vanished. And the home I couldn't wait to leave behind might be in danger. Somehow, across a twisted and divided land, I have to find the Order, protect the true ruler of Oz, take Dorothy and her henchmen down--and try to figure out what I'm really doing here.… (more)
Member:Librarianin3B
Title:The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, 2)
Authors:Danielle Paige (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2015), Edition: 1st Edition, 304 pages

The Wicked Will Rise by Danielle Paige (2015)

I really just love this series so much! Amy Gumm really finds her dark and WICKED side in this book! I can't wait to get to the next in the series!!! ( )
  Completely_Melanie | Sep 10, 2021 |
I don't know that I've ever wished for a male main character over a female one but I wish that these stories were told from Pete's perspective. Because, here's the thing, I love Paige's interpretations of the original characters. The best part of this book for me was when Bright and Polychrome showed up in all their flirtatious, scatter-brained glory (even if it was really strange trying to adjust to the idea of a sexy adult Bright). So when the book tried to go back and develop Amy more, I just got impatient for more Oz characters. If the books had been about Pete, about his attempts to become a separate person from Ozma while getting to know this new Oz, I would have liked them even more. And him working with the Wicked Witches would have more impact than Amy since he already has a connection to Mombi and it would interesting to see him grapple with the idea of having "wicked" powers as compared to Ozma's pure fairy magic. I'm still excited to read the last part but honestly these books just make want to reread the Oz series again. ( )
  jobinsonlis | May 11, 2021 |
Not as good as the first book in my opinion..
Lacking a little bit of punch but still an interesting story line and the ending had a decent twist ( )
  Alli_Kelsey | Jan 4, 2021 |
Weird. It has been a while since I read the first one, so i don't remember it much...or at all, but I thought I liked it okay. This book screams teenager to me. Crappy melodrama with respect to romance, token gay character, and so many fighting scenes I thought I was reading the Avengers or some such Marvel comics. Most of the supporting cast are one dimensional, and there is some attempt at making the protagonist dynamic, but mostly it is teen angst and confusion, assuming she knows it all but is also a child and occasionally petulant. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |
Emerald City is burning. The Order of the Wicked has disappeared. And Dorothy isn't dead.

Amy Gumm's journey to return Oz to its former glory continues in The Wicked Will Rise, the second book in the Dorothy Must Die series. Accompanied by the magically confused Ozma, Amy continues her quest, while fighting to control the magic growing within her. The lines between Good and Wicked are blurred, leaving Amy unsure who to trust. But she knows she must gather the tin man's heart, the Lion's Courage, and the Scarecrow's brains.....and then kill Dorothy.

There was less action in this book than the first one. But, there was a lot of character development and some cool revelations about what is actually going on. Interesting......but I do have to admit being a bit disappointed that nothing was really resolved in this book. Nice plot development.....but not a lot of progress towards the ultimate goal. I think perhaps this is a case where the plot was stretched because the series had to continue for more than just 1 or 2 books. So book two is like an extended travelling montage.....we're off to kill Dorothy, but we need a book or two of development before we can actually do that. Not that I mind development, interesting side quests and the addition of quirky, cool new characters....but in the end, very little really happened.

All in all, I like this series so far and I'm going to continue reading. It seems in each book Dorothy gets one more piece she needs to defeat Dorothy. So book 3 must be the quest for scarecrow's brain....then book 4.....bye bye Dorothy? I'm a sucker for anything Oz.....so I'm happy to continue reading. The books are entertaining, quick reads...so there's no harm in things being stretched out a bit. I'm glad I waited to read this series until most of the books were already released. If I had read this book as a new release, the slow pace and months of waiting for a new book would have been annoying. I am not a patient person. :)

On to book 3 - Yellow Brick War! And book 4, The End of Oz, is set to release in mid-March! I think I started reading this series at just the right time! :)

JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |

Paige, Danielleprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sorvari, DevonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Emerald City was burning.

AR Level 5.5, 12 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,372,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible