The Promise (The 'Burg, #5)

by Kristen Ashley

Series: The 'Burg (5)

Since his brother's death, Benny Bianchi has been nursing his grudge against the woman he thinks led to his brother's downfall. He does this to bury the feelings he has for Francesca Concetti, his brother's girl. But when Frankie takes a bullet while on the run with Benny's cousin's woman, Benny has to face those feelings.The problem is Frankie has decided she's paid her penance. Penance she didn't deserve to pay. She's done with Benny and the Bianchi family. She's starting a new life away from Chicago and her heartbreaking history.Benny has decided differently.But Frankie has more demons she's battling. Demons Benny wants to help her face. But life has landed so many hard knocks on Frankie she's terrified of believing in the promise of Benny Bianchi and the good life he's offering.Frankie's new life leads her to The 'Burg, where Benny has ties, and she finds she not only hasn't succeeded in getting away, she's doesn't want to.… (more)

Took a while, was the 2nd one where I didn't feel excited when reading it, now I'm talking adrenaline excited not, ahem, excited! What happened to being trapped underground or being hit with guns or shot (granted she was shot before the book started) but still, a little excitement would have been appreciated. Although, I want me a Gus and a Benny anyway ( )
  ashezbookz | Oct 20, 2020 |
4.6 stars

This aS different than I was expecting. It was done immediately after Val and Vi's story but before Tanner and Rocky and Mike and Dusty's stories. Even knowing some elements of those stories and timelines it didn't spoil anything. In fact, it seemed to enhance them. It added more to those stories.

Benny wasn't as much the over the top alpha that the other guys were, he was just Benny and I loved him. His devotion and steadfastness was endearing and swoon worthy. He never stopped in his pursuit to make Frankie his. And Frankie needed that. That woman needed love and someone to have her back. She loved whole heartedly , no matter the cost to her, and was loyal to the tenth degree. Together, these two were unstoppable.

I liked getting more insight into Val and Co in the future. I'm curious about Kate, considering her other half was not who I thought it was going to be, and also wanted to know more about Kierra and Jasper. There was an introduction of a Security team in this book that I need to go and research if I missed a series, and if so rectify that because I need to know more about Luke Stark.

Highly recommend this book and series. I'm sad to know the last book will be the last one. I'm not ready for these characters to go away. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Hands down my favorite book by this author. Benny and his family have a lot to make up for the way the treated Frankie. That gets resolved fairly quickly, and the loving Benny does to get Frankie is awesome.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
3.5 stars

This book picks up where book 2 ended for Frankie and Benny. Frankie is just getting out of the hospital and Benny decides he’s had enough of avoiding his feelings for her and takes her home to watch over her as she continues to heal. Frankie is overwhelmed with the attention not only Benny is giving her but also his family who all but shunned her after the death of her boyfriend and their son/brother Vinnie seven years ago. For me the resolution of the pain they caused her for 7 years came way to quick.

I don’t want to bash this book because I love this author and the writing is seamless and there were parts of this story that were nice to get to revisit. Getting to experience more of Cal and Vi through their engagement, marriage and birth of their daughter was wonderful but other than some milestones like that the majority of this book was about nothing special, just the day the day life of Frankie and Benny with no real angst or suspense. When a book is over 500 pages there needs to be something to keep your attention.

In the end, I am happy that Frankie and Bennie got their HEA – it was way over due and this also felt like a continuation of Cal and Vi’s book which I loved.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Read for Fun (Kindle)
Overall Rating: 3.50
Story Rating: 3.50
Character Rating: 3.50

First Thought when Finished: Benny and Frankie-while I wanted a little bit more from The Promise I still enjoyed it from beginning to end! I loved that we took a little step back in time to get their story because I think it worked for them. They needed more time and it made me fall in love. I did think they needed to use their words more but alas sometimes that happens. The mystery was good but I will admit I wanted a little more time with it. I was excited that the Denver crew was sort of there that was awesome!

I am kind of sad and a little bit relieved I only have one more book then I have read all of Chaos, Mystery Men, Rock Chicks, Colorado Mountain, and The Burg. May 2015 to October 2015 is a long time to be down a rabbit hole but it was fun! I can finally move on back to my Historical Romance world.

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Review ( )
  thehistorychic | Dec 2, 2015 |

Ashley, Kristenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bruton, AmandaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,684,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible