Peace Talks

Peace Talks (2020)

Series: The Dresden Files (16)

HARRY DRESDEN IS BACK AND READY FOR ACTION, in the new entry in the #1 New York Times bestselling Dresden Files. When the Supernatural nations of the world meet up to negotiate an end to ongoing hostilities, Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, joins the White Council's security team to make sure the talks stay civil. But can he succeed, when dark political manipulations threaten the very existence of Chicago - and all he holds dear?… (more)
Member:Azrael4u2
Title:Peace Talks
Authors:
Info:

Peace Talks by Jim Butcher (2020)

English (23)  German (1)  All languages (24)
Book sixteen in the story of Harry Dresden, wizard (although by this point in the series, he's a lot more than just a wizard). As the title suggests, this one features a set of peace talks between the world's various supernatural factions, but, of course, nothing can ever stay peaceful around Harry for long.

And this one was... okay.* At the very least, there's a really interesting confrontation between Harry and his grandfather. But mostly, it feels like this whole volume is just a lot of setup for the next one. And even the big event that happens towards the end, which will undoubtedly be resolved in the next installment, feels less like it comes organically out of all that setup, and more like a big, weird curve ball from out of nowhere. So not exactly satisfying on any level, really, but then since it's clearly only half of the story, it's probably not fair to judge it yet. I do now see, though, why this volume and the next one were published so close together this year, after a long hiatus between novels.

* Except for a bit in the very first chapter that I found really off-putting. Dear Mr. Butcher: The sane, humane response when a character reveals that his girlfriend is pregnant but the pregnancy has a distressingly high chance of killing her is not a conversation that boils down to, "Don't worry, you'll make a great dad!" Seriously, what the hell, man? ( )
1 vote bragan | Oct 18, 2020 |
A relatively short Harry Dresden book (because it ends with them heading to a bigger confrontation). Harry is in a loving relationship with Murphy now but still notices how hot the women around him are, which is excused by the lusts raised by carrying the Winter Knight’s mantle. Sure. Also he still notices Marcone in almost exactly the same terms other than the explicit acknowledgement of his lusts, so there’s that. Plotwise: everyone’s in town for peace talks, yay, but then Harry’s brother attacks an ally and Harry has to work with the White Court to rescue him, which means the Wardens think he’s gone evil. So, par for the course, really. ( )
  rivkat | Oct 5, 2020 |
I think I'm going to hold off on a rating until after the second half arrives.
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
was good, I have seent he complaints about repeated themes. I still enjoyed it. upset it ended in such a cliff hanger! ( )
  ImmortalWords | Sep 14, 2020 |
It's been a number of years since the last Dresden Files novel, and I devoured this one. Any day now the continuation of this novel will be available and I want it! Harry Dresden is probably my most favorite fictional character of all time. He is tall (6'8") dark and handsome with a quick self-depreciating wit, a wicked sense of sarcasm, and he's a powerful wizard, warden of the paranormal prison, a member of the White Counsel's security team, and the Winter Knight, plus his grandfather is one of the most powerful of all wizards. Harry and his daughter live in a very secure apartment owned by the svartalves. Harry's halfbrother is a white counsel vampire. Peace talks are about to commence among the supernatural world and Harry is right in the thick of it. Unfortunately, Thomas, Harry's brother is csught trying to assassinate the king of the Svartalves. Harry believes is could be a set up job, but first he needs to get his brother to safety. I wouldn't recommend reading this book if one hasn't kept up with the series, as there is a need to know much of the backstory for this to make sense. A wonderful book which kept me on the edge of my seat! ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Sep 8, 2020 |

Belongs to Series

For Frostbite Doomreaver McBane Butcher.
I miss you, little buddy.
My brother ruined a perfectly good run by saying 'Justine is pregnant.'

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,480,948 books! | Top bar: Always visible