Legion: Skin Deep

by Brandon Sanderson

Series: Legion (2)

"Stephen Leeds, AKA "Legion," is a man whose unique mental condition allows him to generate a multitude of personae: hallucinatory entities with a wide variety of personal characteristics and a vast array of highly specialized skills. As the new story begins, Leeds and his "aspects" are hired by I3 (Innovative Information Incorporated) to recover a corpse stolen from the local morgue. But there's a catch. The corpse is that of a pioneer in the field of experimental biotechnology, a man whose work concerned the use of the human body as a massive storage device. He may have embedded something in the cells of his now dead body. And that something might be dangerous" --… (more)

Stephen Leeds returns!

This time around, the 'big idea' plot that sort of fades into the background is the idea of encoding research into DNA. It's something that's actually happening now, although (so far as we know) not actually being used to store anything in a person's genetic code. But it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Once again though, the really interesting part of these books is Leeds and the aspects. We learn a bit more about how each of his aspects has their own psychological issues (would it be worse / more complicated if they were all independent beings and Leeds had to interact with them or if it's Leeds himself manifesting all of these issues?), watching his abilities grow and change in ways that even doesn't expect.

Another interesting thread that was hinted at in Legion and expanded in Skin Deep is the intersection of science and religion. It feels to me like Sanderson might be writing to think through issues he himself contemplates, which can be an interesting way to build a novel.

Just as quick a read as Legion and once again well worth the read. I do wonder how well Leeds could carry a fully length novel though. I think it could be done, but at the same time, it's not something that I need to see. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Entertaining , but I didn't like the ending with how he dealt with Zen and also Stephen got a new aspect of a husband of a current aspect and was shocked to see the Husband but we never went back to deal with with this new situation apart from that it was a good read.Will be reading the next one ( )
  Eclipse777 | Jun 27, 2021 |
The 2nd book in the legion series is a little longer than the first. This one answers some of the questions I had after the first one about the background of the main character. The problem being investigated in this one (I won't spoil up) was interesting to me as well. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Not any worse than the first entry in the series. All of the elements of the first story were there: semi-magical technology, espionage, shadowy organizations, and action. The private detective with multiple personalities even developed a little.

It isn't bad, just a bit too formulaic. ( )
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
Not quite as good as the first but still well worth the read. This series exists in a sort of netherworld between fantasy and psi-ence fiction. I love reading stuff that is not like other things and while it is true there is nothing new under the sun, some stuff is less stale than other stuff.

Also very impressed that the author can handle a short novel with such deftness. I like the longer stuff- although truth be told, I sort of feel it's overlong, so it is a pleasant surprise to be able to gobble an entire book down along with my lunch. Very satisfying and I hope to see more. ( )
  frfeni | Jan 31, 2021 |

Brandon Sandersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foster, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyman, OliverNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"What's her angle?" Ivy asked, walking around the table with her arms folded.

It's not his own genius that Stephen Leeds gets hired for. Clients want to tap into the imaginary experts that populate his mind—and it's getting a bit crowded in there.

Now Stephen and his internal team of "aspects" have been hired to track down a stolen corpse—but it's not the corpse that's important, it's what the corpse knows. The biotechnology company he worked for believes he encoded top-secret information in his DNA before he died, and if it falls into the wrong hands, that will mean disaster.

Meanwhile, Stephen's uneasy peace with his own hallucinations is beginning to fray at the edges, as he strives to understand how one of them could possibly have used Stephen's hand to shoot a real gun during the previous case. And some of those hallucinations think they know better than Stephen just how many aspects his mind should make room for. How long will he be able to hold himself together?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,398,450 books! | Top bar: Always visible