National Geographic Readers: Planets

by Elizabeth Carney

1,261915,535 (4.07)None
Juvenile Nonfiction. Science. Beginning Reader. HTML:

This brilliantly illustrated book taps into children's natural curiosity about the vast world of space. This level two reader, written in simple language that is easy for young readers to understand, introduces children to our solar system, including all of the planets and dwarf planets, and lots of fascinating fun facts. This reader helps cultivate the explorers of tomorrow! This high-interest, educationally vetted series of beginning readers features the magnificent images of National Geographic, accompanied by texts written by experienced, skilled children's book authors. The inside back cover of the paperback edition is an interactive feature based upon the book. Level 1 books reinforce the content of the book with a kinesthetic learning activity. In Level 2 books readers complete a Cloze letter, or fun fill-in, with vocabulary words. Releases simultaneously in Reinforced Library Binding: 978-1-4263-1037-9 , $13.90/$15.95 Can National Geographic supports K-12 educators with ELA Common Core Resources. Visit natgeoed.org/commoncore for more information.  From the Trade Paperback edition.

.… (more)

Independent Reading Level:Grades 3-5
Awards and Honors: N/a
  Federico_Romero | May 3, 2023 |
The National Geographic Kids reader the Planets by Elizabeth Carney is a great read about planets and scientific technology we use to see and explore planets. It is a great read for second graders with easy words to comprehend and lots of interesting facts and information. I love how this book could be used to either introduce the readers to features of informational texts through a read aloud or to reinforce and provide practice for kids to use those features will reading an informational text independently. The features of text presented in the book are a table of contents, vocabulary words and definitions, subtitles, visual supports, page numbers, questions about the information, and real life connects. I would definitely use this text in any of the two ways mentioned above and I would for sure keep this text in my room. This is a great way to get students familiar with informational text as well as learn information about planets. ( )
  erikafralich | Oct 22, 2020 |
#solarsystem #planets #science #G2-5
This book is great for a read-aloud or an independent informative read. This book includes many great pictures, engaging side comments such as jokes, questions, and informative fun facts. I would use this book because it connects to students' lives and informs them how scientists explore the solar system. This book includes information about what a planet is, and information about planets such as the sun, our solar system, the inner planets, our planet earth, the gas giants, dwarf planets, more amazing planets, moons, as well as our moon. It also includes a fun activity at the end where readers could test their parents' knowledge. ( )
  sofiaseledkov | Oct 16, 2020 |
Genre: Informational Books
Age: Primary (2-5 grade)
Review:
In Planets, the author takes us through space. We explore different planets, stars, comets and space stations.
This is an informational book because There is an attractive design and we explore facts about space that people may not have previously known about before reading this. It is also written in National Geographic Kids which is a very trustworthy group.
Use:
1) Explore space with the class
2) Students could read this if they have a fascination with space
Ill. Media: Photos ( )
  Josh17 | Feb 28, 2017 |
The solar system, Definitions. How they are made what conditions are right for life. Talks about the different moons. How we learn about our planets. ( )
  MandyWilliams0903 | Feb 27, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Juvenile Nonfiction. Science. Beginning Reader. HTML:

Introduces facts about the planets, distinguishing between the inner, gas, and dwarf planets, and discusses how scientists learn about the planets and outer space.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,113,575 books! | Top bar: Always visible