Ms. Marvel Vol. 2: Generation Why by G.…

Ms. Marvel Vol. 2: Generation Why (2015)

by G. Willow Wilson (Writer), Adrian Alphona (Illustrator), Jacob Wyatt (Illustrator)

Other authors: Kris Anka (Cover artist (#10-11)), Joe Caramagna (Letterer), Ian Herring (Illustrator), Jamie McKelvie (Cover artist (#6-9)), Matthew Wilson (Cover artist (#6-9))

Series: Ms. Marvel Vol. 3 [2014-2015] (6-11), Ms. Marvel (Vol.3, 2)

English (44)  Swedish (1)  All languages (45)
After reading this second volume, I can't help wishing that this series had been out when I was still a teen. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore Kamala right now and I'm well past my teen years. I just keep imagining how much earlier I would have found the world of comics if only things I could relate to were out there! I've never been a huge superhero fan. The physics-defying outfits that female heroes were put into just pushed me away. Kamala though? She's sweet, she's slightly accident prone, and she fan-girls like all the rest of us. What's not to love?

That being said, this second volume is great! More of what I loved in the first, plus a lot more action going on. I can't get over how many times I giggle while reading these. The creators of this amazing series have managed to pack the whole shebang into one volume. You have adorable Kamala, fan-girling over meeting her favorite X-Men member. You have a message to teens that, despite what they may hear, they've got a lot of importance riding on their shoulders. That they are the future. You also have Kamala trying desperately to make her superhero life and her "normal" life mesh. It seems like a lot, but it works beautifully.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This series is well worth your time! Whether you go into it because you love the Marvel Universe, or to experience the absolutely stunning artwork, or simply because you want to see a person of color as a fabulous main character, pick this up! You won't regret it. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
3,5 🌟

A certain 'short angry man who punches stuff' shows up this time and teams up with little Ms. Marvel for a while. Also, our girl gets a puppy. ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |
The second collection features Ms. Marvel coming face to face with her first archival, The Collector, a hybrid of a bird and a clone of Thomas Edison (a delightfully-weird villain). Wolverine becomes Ms. Marvel's mentor for a time and Kamala has to balance fangirling over one of her heroes with the reality that she is in better physical shape to handle their adventure. She's later paired up with Lockjaw, a large bulldog with teleportation powers. The story of the Inventor kidnapping teenagers to use them for their energy cleverly plays on the stereotyping and disposability of Generation Y in our capitalist system. ( )
  Othemts | Nov 20, 2018 |
This is a well-written and drawn superhero comic. However, what appealed to me about Ms. Marvel 1 was her backstory, her Muslim background, her struggling to find her identity between cultures, her teenage problems. There is almost none of that in this volume. Wolverine shows up, they battle monsters and an evil villain with a ludicrous evil scheme... where have I seen that before? 🤔🙄 ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
This volume started off with a really strong first chapter. It was hilarious and campy.

I was much less impressed with the rest of the volume, however. I went from enjoying the absurdism of the universe to cringing at the plot.

Basically: teenagers are being used by the villain as batteries, and this is explained to be a metaphor for how older generations think teenagers are parasites who are constantly on their smartphones.

3.5 stars for crocodiles with guns on their heads, a cockatiel villain, and Wolverine. ( )
  lhofer | Sep 26, 2018 |

McKelvie, JamieCover artist (#6-9)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, MatthewCover artist (#6-9)secondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Powell, JeffBook designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bots.

Ever since that shootout in Greenville, I've seen them roaming the city. Looking for me. The Inventor's little helpers.
Collects Ms. Marvel issues #6-11 (by G Willow Wilson) into one volume.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0785190228, Paperback)

Who is the Inventor, and what does he want with the all-new Ms. Marvel and all her friends? Maybe Wolverine can help! Kamala may be fan-girling out when her favorite (okay maybe Top Five) super hero shows up, but that won't stop her from protecting her hometown. Then, Kamala crosses paths with Inhumanity for the first time - by meeting the royal dog, Lockjaw! Every girl wants a puppy, but this one may be too much of a handful, even for a super hero with embiggening powers. But why is Lockjaw really with Kamala? As Ms. Marvel discovers more about her past, the Inventor continues to threaten her future. The fan-favorite, critically acclaimed, amazing new series continues as Kamala Khan proves why she's the best (and most adorable) new super hero there is!

COLLECTING: Ms. Marvel 6-11

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:14 -0400)

Who is the Inventor, and what does he want with the all-new Ms. Marvel and all her friends? Maybe Wolverine can help! If Kamala can stop fan-girling out about meeting her favorite super hero, that is. Then, Kamala crosses paths with Inhumanity--by meeting the royal dog, Lockjaw! But why is Lockjaw really with Kamala? As Ms. Marvel discovers more about her past, the Inventor continues to threaten her future. Kamala bands together with some unlikely heroes to stop the maniacal villain before he does real damage, but has she taken on more than she can handle? And how much longer can Ms. Marvel's life take over Kamala Khan's? Kamala Khan continues to prove why she's the best (and most adorable) new super hero there is! -- Page [4] of cover.… (more)

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,385,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible