dismiss

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act

by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie (Illustrator)

Other authors: Matthew Wilson (Illustrator)

Series: The Wicked & The Divine (1-5)

Every ninety years, twelve gods return as young people. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are all dead. It's happening now. It's happening again.
Recently added bywduncan, wduncan2, taxonomyjane, snapsnarlgrowl, Bryce9876, PyroCat, private library

English (70)  Swedish (1)  All languages (71)
YOU CAN'T JUST END THE VOLUME LIKE THAT ( )
  allison_s | May 25, 2020 |
I was very excited to read this comic, but as with Neil Gaiman's American Gods it wasn't what I've expected. Art is absolutely stunning, byt storyline isn't as good as I wish it'd be. So only 3 stars. ( )
  Alevis | May 17, 2020 |
//Second reading because it's been a year and I forgot most of this volume.

The lineart, the colors, the panel layout, the text placement, the story itself--there's honestly so much to love about this book. The idea of immortals "dying" and being reborn decades later is really interesting, though we aren't told the why at this point. Laura is a fun protagonist in that she's quippy and sarcastic, but also still a teenage girl who's infatuated with all of these gods posing as pop stars.

The characters are incredibly expressive and unique. The gods are oversexed and mostly indifferent to mortals--but what else would you expect? I like that they're from a variety of cultures and faiths, because the overall effect is then more sci-fi rather than religious, which is funny in a way. ( )
  Octjillery | May 5, 2020 |
“The Wicked The Divine: The Faust Act” is an interesting opening act.
The concept might be its strongest selling point. The premise that 12 gods from different pantheons are reincarnated every 90 years can lead to a lot of plot development. These reincarnations will then die 2 years later. I expected interesting interactions and deeply personal decisions. Would it be worth it to have god-like powers but have only a few years to live in return? Many pages rightly concern themselves with this dilemma. Some of the characters accept the trade-off, and others reject it. It is also a good way to reign in potentially overpowered god characters and give them a weakness we can understand. The writer made an excellent decision casting doubt on the true nature of the reincarnation cycle. Though the gods claim to be gods you are not quite sure if that is what’s going on. This mystery at the center of the larger narrative kept me flipping pages even if some of the other elements didn't astound.

The storytelling and pacing was not as strong as the narrative elements, I felt. Some abruptness and lots of set-up. The unevenness might be balanced by later volumes, but this volume might have stood better on its own with a few tweaks.

The art is great. Good form and color choices. Some of the designs are great but stereotypical. With all of mythology and other cultures at their disposal I would have hoped for more pushing of the design envelope.

The characters have charm or depth overall and really pull the story along. Beware occasional one-dimensional characters, which may be a result of unfocused set up. I hope the important characters will blossom as the story gets more room to breath later.

The Wicked The Divine has a great central idea. From this idea interesting stories and characters can be woven into a great narrative. I will have to see what lies in wait with further volumes. ( )
  LSPopovich | Apr 8, 2020 |
Didn't care for this take on divine attributes
  ritaer | Mar 4, 2020 |

Hans, StephanieIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Malley, Bryan LeeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wada, KevinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zdarsky, ChipIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,956,262 books! | Top bar: Always visible