Rat Queens, Vol. 2: The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'Rygoth

by Kurtis J. Wiebe, Roc Upchurch (Illustrator)

Other authors: Stjepan Šejić (Artist)

Series: Rat Queens (Vol. 2 (6-10))

"This booze-soaked second volume of RAT QUEENS reveals a growing menace within the very walls of Palisade. And while Dee may have run from her past, the bloated, blood-feasting sky god N'rygoth never really lets his children stray too far" -- Publisher's website.

English (39)  Swedish (1)  All languages (40)
I was iffy on the first volume, but this series is quickly winning me over with its engaging characters, who are all given tantalizing flashbacks this go-round. It really helps that Stjepan Šejić takes over the art late in the book, surpassing the high bar already set by Roc Upchurch. I'm putting the rest of the available volumes on hold at the library now. ( )
  villemezbrown | Mar 27, 2021 |
Full disclosure: I received a free review copy of this book from Net Galley.

Rat Queens is a modern spin on classic fantasy tropes that plays within those boundaries while also subverting clichés, and does so with a light touch. It has a great premise: a group of rowdy adventurers in a fantasy world fight, fuck, and generally incite civic destruction. The twist is that they’re all women, and they work both with and against other adventuring parties with similar mixes of race and gender.

The character designs are great, and Wiebe has a fantastic sense of humor. The character development is especially well-done, and each of the women at the center of the story feel both fully developed and entirely unique. In fact, characterization is probably the strongest aspect of the series so far.

I definitely enjoyed the first volume, Sass & Sorcery, which was a story about the team as they dealt with a surprising betrayal. This second volume, The Far-Reaching tentacles of N’Rygoth, tells a story that focuses on Dee, a semi-lapsed member of a religion that worships Lovecraftian horrors. I get the impression that future volumes of the series will tell similar stories that focus on each member of the Queens, so this volume is probably a good template for things to come.

Unfortunately, although I did enjoy volume two, it wasn’t as funny as volume one, and the pacing felt a little rushed at times. It opens with the Queens fighting against invading inter-dimensional horrors, and doesn’t really let up much from there. There are flashbacks interspersed throughout – part of the invasion involves strange mind control that distracts the Queens with hallucinated memories while they try to fight – so we do get a bit more back story for the characters, but it still felt like this volume didn’t gel quite as well as the first.

There was also a significant change behind the scenes when the original artist, Roc Upchurch, got arrested for domestic abuse charges and Wiebe fired him from the series. Stjepan Sejic, the artist who completed the last few issues in this volume, has his own unique style, but definitely fits very well within the established Rat Queens universe.

Although I do think this volume had a slight dip in quality, I would still heartily recommend picking up the series, and I look forward to future issues. Definitely worth checking out.

Originally posted at Full of Words. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 16, 2021 |
Good story, particularly for character development, but it didn't have quite the same punch as Volume 1 did. The time-displacing Cthulic monster was an interesting adversary, though it also necessitated the narrative jumping all over the place. Best summary of this Volume I can think of is a D&D-themed Questionable Content adventure. The post-coital dynamics at the beginning were probably my favorite moments.

Looking forward to Volume III.
  pvoberstein | Dec 14, 2020 |
Stjepan's art is remarkable. ( )
  Chyvalrys | Aug 5, 2020 |
This one stepped up a notch and showed me the penises of the gods.

(Not really, but yeah, they were pretty damn big. It took one hell of a high priestess to get Squiddy to put them away.)

Flashbacks have their place, and I'm not going to poo on this parade. A good cthuhulu reason for it will always earn top marks for any forced backstory, but thankfully, these backstories were damn good. Every story has a good time and place to be told, and being consumed in the nightmares that feed on the inequalities between universes is always a good time to tell them.

Always. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Kurtis J. Wiebeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Upchurch, RocIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Šejić, StjepanArtistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damn it, Sawyer! Last week was supposed to be the last fucking time!
Originally published in single magazine form as Rat Queens (2013) #6-10.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,854,236 books! | Top bar: Always visible