Executive by Piers Anthony

Executive (1985)

by Piers Anthony

Series: Bio of a Space Tyrant (4)

Space Tyrant series: 1-Refugee, 2-Mercenary, 3-Politician, 4-Executive, 5-Statesman
  drbrendan | Jul 7, 2016 |
This review is for whole series -- engrossing characters and unfortunately probable world building. Absolutely the plot and the protagonist sucks you right in and goes nonstop through all 6 books.

I am a fan of Piers Anthony; but, reader beware -- this ain't no Xanth. Much more intense situations. "Caligula of the stars" on one of the excerpts is a very apt description for some disturbing portions in series; definitely for adults with actions and memories graphic/explicit as to sex, violence, rape and even child molesting. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
In the fourth episode of the life and times of Hope Hubris, our hero, now fully into middle age, is denied the presidency that he and his sister won by popular vote. In response, they orchestrate a takeover of the government and form a tyrancy to rule. Throughout the course of the Tyrancy, Hope is targeted for assassination many times and he's forced to assume an alter ego in order to get out and actually do things. At the end of the volume, however, a nonviolent resistance to the Tyrancy had formed and Hope had to retire and turn the government back over to the people.

I found this to be a much more satisfying book than the prior one in the series. Far fewer Piers-isms in this one. Although, I was not a big fan of the whole "Hope Hubris - the man who men want to be and women want to be with" thing. Hope's sexual conquests get a little out of hand. Unfortunately, I kinda saw that Amber was going to end up one of his bedpost notches rather early - although some of their null-gee pin the tail on the donkey games were both funny and intriguing.

I enjoyed the Julius Ceasar reference, and through the Big Iron beatdown attempt was interesting and well done. I also caught more than a whiff of the JFK white house in Hope and Spirit's administration. But, I have to admit - the last line were we discover the identity of the leader of the resistance was no surprise at all to me. ( )
  helver | Oct 17, 2011 |
BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |

Piers Anthonyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craddock, AllanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380898349, Mass Market Paperback)

This is the fourth in the series BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT, featuring the stages in the life of Hope Hubris, the Tyrant of Jupiter, and his beloved sister Spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:26 -0400)

DOOMED TO A MADMAN'S HELL. He was shaping his times as no one before him dared, mercilessly scourging an entire planet of crime and corruption wherever he found them - and destroying anyone who stood in his way. Absolute dictator of the United States of Jupiter, Hope Hubris was destined to become the most hated and feared man of an era, a tyrant charged with countless heinous acts and sexual cruelties. Yet justice remained his fiercest passion. Now, to insure his goals, Hope would assume an alternate identity and become a rebel - the brilliant leader in a revolution dedicated to his own overthrow. To fulfill his dreams, he would sacrifice love... and plunge headlong into madness... Executive.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,759,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible