Night's Slow Poison (2012)

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (short story)

A story set in the Imperial Radch universe but from the perspective of a world that the Radch is trying to conquer. It was interesting, but I also didn't quite...get all of it, I think. I'm not sure if it's me being dense, me misunderstanding something important, me needing info from the rest of the series that I don't recall, or if the story just doesn't have as much info as I would have liked due to it being so short. ( )
  coprime | Sep 11, 2021 |
I have the feeling I'm going to need to reread the first Ancillary book to pick out the characters from this prequel story, but more and more I'm getting a distinct feeling. The several short stories I've read of Ms. Leckie all deal with small gods and their place in the universe, and the novels, while structured differently, are well within the same feel.

The people that make up the gods is the biggest question that's posed. What carries over? What songs are retained?

I enjoyed this one mainly in reflection of the questions that are posed in much greater detail later. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The last line was fantastic. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I like *Ann Leckie* a lot, but **Night's Slow Poison** didn't work for me – the story was either too short or too aimless for me to appreciate. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Right after finishing 'Ancillary Justice' I saw that Leckie had a free story up on tor.com, so of course I rushed to read it...

This is set in the same universe, but deals with other concerns and issues altogether. It's quite different from the novel... but equally good (which makes me excited as all-get-out to read more from Leckie in the future!)

Here, we have a glimpse of other cultures outside the Evil Empire we were introduced to in Ancillary Justice - and get more of an idea of the perspective from outside the Imperial Radch, rather than from the rotten core.

A long-haul trading ship takes on passengers to travel to a planet which has remained free and independent due to its hidden location. One passenger claims that he is seeking long-lost relatives... but in the claustrophobic loneliness of space, secrets will out... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

Imperial Radch (short story)

Is contained in

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,514,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible