dismiss

Night's Slow Poison (2012)

by Ann Leckie

Series: Imperial Radch (short story)

I have the feeling I'm going to need to reread the first Ancillary book to pick out the characters from this prequel story, but more and more I'm getting a distinct feeling. The several short stories I've read of Ms. Leckie all deal with small gods and their place in the universe, and the novels, while structured differently, are well within the same feel.

The people that make up the gods is the biggest question that's posed. What carries over? What songs are retained?

I enjoyed this one mainly in reflection of the questions that are posed in much greater detail later. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
The last line was fantastic. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
I like *Ann Leckie* a lot, but **Night's Slow Poison** didn't work for me – the story was either too short or too aimless for me to appreciate. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Right after finishing 'Ancillary Justice' I saw that Leckie had a free story up on tor.com, so of course I rushed to read it...

This is set in the same universe, but deals with other concerns and issues altogether. It's quite different from the novel... but equally good (which makes me excited as all-get-out to read more from Leckie in the future!)

Here, we have a glimpse of other cultures outside the Evil Empire we were introduced to in Ancillary Justice - and get more of an idea of the perspective from outside the Imperial Radch, rather than from the rotten core.

A long-haul trading ship takes on passengers to travel to a planet which has remained free and independent due to its hidden location. One passenger claims that he is seeking long-lost relatives... but in the claustrophobic loneliness of space, secrets will out... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
The Gerentate, mentioned in passing in the Ancillary series, gets a bunch more worldbuilding and development here. It's fascinating to see the differences and similarities between the culture of the Gerentate, Ghaon, and the Radchaai. The main character is compelling and the story is an emotional roller coaster. Excellent. ( )
  lavaturtle | Dec 12, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Imperial Radch (short story)

Is contained in

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,275,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible