Dog Beach: A Novel by John Fusco

Dog Beach: A Novel

by John Fusco

921,452,957 (4.13)None
"A struggling screenwriter meets his hero Johnny Moe, the Hong Kong stuntman turned mafia enforcer"--
American (1) film (1) funny (1) mafia (1) mystery (1) stunt (1) to-read (1)

Synopsis/blurb…..

Acclaimed screenwriter John Fusco’s thriller follows the exploits of Louie Mo, once Hong Kong’s greatest stuntman turned Los Angeles knee-breaker, as his latest target unexpectedly casts him in the role of a lifetime.

Leaving behind a successful career as a stunt double in Hong Kong to escape entanglements with the Chinese mafia, Louie Mo now makes his living in Los Angeles as a hired knee-breaker, putting fear into the hearts of people reneging on payments to investors.

Troy, an aspiring director with NYU credentials and encyclopedic movie knowledge, is beginning to realize that he’s made a deal with the devil by agreeing to direct a film for producer Avi Ghazaryan. When Avi’s sketchy investors hire Louie to scare Troy into finishing their movie, Troy’s reverence for film and keen eye save him from a beating when he recognizes Louie Mo as the stunt man extraordinaire he once was and begs Louie to take the lead role in the movie based on Troy’s own pet screenplay.

For Louie Mo, this chance at redemption might be his last. As his past catches up with him and his body becomes ever more broken down, he teams up with Troy in a race against the clock—and the bad guys—to pull off an impossible film of epic proportions.

Dog Beach is a fast-paced, smart, and hilarious thrill ride. Equal parts dark satire and high-velocity action novel, it's perfect for fans of Elmore Leonard and Don Winslow.
-----------------------
My take........

The first read of the month and a cracking start. 5 stars and it doesn’t get any better than that.

240 pages, so not over-long, great pace, plenty of action, one of my favourite settings – LA, with a bit of the action flipping back in time to the equally exotic setting of Hong Kong. Our story focuses around Troy, a young ambitious film-maker in the middle of his latest flick. A visit from a Chinese leg-breaker sent to put the frighteners on Troy, has Troy all of a flutter. His erstwhile attacker is someone he recognises from the Hong Kong film world. All of a sudden Troy and his gang of cohorts are running in a different direction with a new film project and Louie Mo as the star.

Fusco writes great characters. Troy is likeable, idealistic, obsessed and a little bit naïve. Louie Mo is interesting and determined; there’s an air of sadness and regret about him as he stoically drags his past around with him, whilst resigned to a life as an enforcer for low-level crims. We get the back stories of our dynamic duo, which adds substance to our tale without interrupting the narrative.

Troy’s posting of a preview scene on You Tube of his proposed Louie Mo blockbuster, brings parts of Louie’s past back into the present and ratchets the tension. The supporting cast, especially Louie’s driver, the mysterious Dutch are interesting and funny. Fusco also has some fun with his dialogue and banter, particularly with Louie at times failing to grasp intent in conversations with his less than perfect English. Great dialogue, great action, satisfying conclusion. Quite cinematic, whether our screenwriter author has one eye on a screenplay for this, I don’t know. I’d watch it.

All in all, extremely satisfying.

5 from 5

I have John Fusco’s previous book on the piles somewhere – Paradise Salvage. Originally published in 2001, I hadn't quite realised it was that old. Fusco's website is here. http://www.john-fusco.com/

I got a copy of this one via Edelweiss – Above The Treeline site (similar to Net Galley)

Dog Beach was published in July (hardback) and in kindle format in September.

Read and reviewed back in August over on the blog - http://col2910.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08... ( )
  col2910 | Oct 27, 2014 |
Review copy

The Malibu locals call Las Flores, "Dog Beach." Troy, a budding film-maker, and his housemates call their two-story beach crib the Dog House, and call themselves the Dogs of Entropy.

Louie Mo, is a former Hong Kong stuntman extraordinaire, who is now getting by as a hired knee-breaker in LA, putting fear into the hearts of people reneging on payments to investors.

When Louie Mo shows up at the Dog House to "encourage" Troy to pay his investors, Troy recognizes Louie and winds up convincing him to star in his next project.

Dog Beach is a high-octane, quick read, that is a lot like watching a Jackie Chan film and just as much fun.

I enjoyed the way the author developed the back-stories for the principal characters, giving the reader a clear picture of what drove them to do what they did, and I also liked the way he gave us just enough of a look into the movie-making process without getting too bogged down in the details.

The action was fast-paced, start-to-finish, as Louie Mo had to remain one step ahead of the Chinese mob, a monster ex-NFL lineman, and two ex wives. While at the same time Troy is trying to deal with his producer and some angry Guatemalan investors. Plus, I loved the twist in the book's climatic chase scene.

Overall, a fun read and John Fusco is an author I'd like to read again sometime.

Dog Beach is being published on September 9, 2014 by Simon & Schuster's Toouchstone division and will be available in bookstores and from many online retailers.

Recommended. ( )
  FrankErrington | Sep 4, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,586,151 books! | Top bar: Always visible