Hamlet's Ghost (Shakespeare Sisters, #3) by…

Hamlet's Ghost (Shakespeare Sisters, #3) (edition 2014)

by Jane Tara

632,161,030 (3.5)None
Rhiannon Dee, a gorgeous witch, moves to a country town to reopen a theater and finds herself torn between the man who owns it, and his father who haunts it. Kip Daniels has been haunting the Hamlet Majestic for thirty dull years, ever since the stage roof collapsed on him during what was meant to be his piece de resistance: his performance of Hamlet. All he really wants is to get to the end of the play, but that won't happen while the theater stands abandoned and boarded up. He's resigned himself to an endless limbo ... until Rhiannon Dee moves to town to bring the theater back to life. Rhi has fled a failed life in New York. She can't find work as an actress. She's overshadowed by her mother who has a hit TV show about witchcraft. Rhi is sick of being seen as a witch and intends to turn her back on the craft. But she quickly discovers she can't escape her gifts, especially when she needs to use them to help one very sexy but sad ghost cross over. Surrounded by new friends and supportive townsfolk, Rhi breathes new life into the Hamlet Majestic, and helps Kip accept his death. Hamlet's Ghost is a story about those moments in life that define us, and how to truly move forward we must find peace with the past.… (more)
Member:karmakath
Title:Hamlet's Ghost (Shakespeare Sisters, #3)
Authors:Jane Tara
Info:Momentum (2014), Kindle Edition
Tags:currently-reading

Hamlet's Ghost by Jane Tara

Note: The Review of this book is up @ Readers' Muse

Having read Jane’s previous books I pretty much know what to expect. Her writing is something that I am extremely comfortable with. Her books will make you think effortlessly and make you feel good about yourself after you finish it.

Rhi, our strong willed protagonist has fled New York to make a living herself on her own. She settles down in a small town of Hamlet and rents the local theater to turn it into a full fledged theater only to find it haunted by an adorable ghost.

Like her previous books, our protagonist and other female characters are the strong at heart yet soft and vulnerable. In fact such characters are inspirational when you are down in dumps.
The writing as could be expected from Jane, was beautiful sans the overdo of the drama element that one can expect in a paranormal romance. Her characters as always speaks volumes. Though I felt with this book ,the female characters completely dominated the whole show. I really couldn’t connect much with the male characters. For instance, our adorable ghost who died mid way during his masterpiece act is the crux of the story whom I couldn’t really connect to. This can possibly because the female characters were rather strong and powerful so much so that they shadowed the male characters.

One seemingly positive attribute in Jane’s story lines is the closure that she gives to all her characters. They all get some closure of sorts. Right from the sidekicks who don’t actually influence the story line to the main characters, they “ ALL” get a closure of sorts. I am not a big fan of closures. Somethings are better off without a closure.
My weeny- tiny complaint would be that the story was majorly predictable with few minor truly surprising twists.

VERDICT: Light breezy feel good supernatural read! Go ahead give it a go!

RATING: 3 on 5
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
I received this book in an ARC e-book format from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. To be honest, after the first chapter, I wasn’t sure I was going to like the book. It started with the heroine walking in on her best friend & boyfriend in a compromising position… and had some language I wasn’t a fan of. However, it was a book I’d agreed to read and review, so I went ahead and kept reading. I was actually quite glad I did. Despite the foul language, which was sparser throughout most of the book than it was in the first chapter, it was a cute, quirky read which I enjoyed. The main character decides to renovate an abandoned theatre and finds that it’s haunted… by a very good-looking ghost whose son, the love interest, looks just like him… so much so, that Rhi (the main character) thinks for a while that she’s talking to the same man at times when in fact she’s speaking to a man and his ghost father at different times… which leads to some interesting conversations. Rhi is also a witch, even though she’s trying to downplay that in her new setting, but it leads to some interesting developments as well. The whole thing ends with a very interesting production of Hamlet, and of course, all the love interest stories end up just as they should at the book’s conclusion. All in all, a fun read.

Would I recommend this to my BFF? Probably not, but I would definitely recommend it to my theatre-mom friends who like to read.
Would I recommend this to my teen daughter? Well, actually, I think she’d like it, but I hesitate to recommend something to her with bad language sprinkled throughout, so I guess no. ( )
  lauraodom | Apr 16, 2015 |
Another enchanting romance by Australian author Jane Tara, Hamlet’s Ghost, though ostensibly the third book in a series featuring the magical Shakespeare family (the first is Forecast and the second Trouble Brewing), works well as a stand-alone.

Frustrated by an acting career going no where, and heartbroken after finding her boyfriend in bed (well on a coffee table to be more accurate) with her best friend, when Rhiannon Dee discovers an abandoned, rundown theater in the small town of Hamlet she decides to reopen it. The Hamlet Majestic has stood empty for almost thirty years, after a ceiling collapse resulted in the tragic death of the former owner, Kip Daniels, during the opening night performance of Shakespeare’s Hamlet. His son, Tad, who inherited the property seems to have mixed feelings about the project but Rhi, despite Tad’s weirdness, and the objections of her witch of a mother, is determined to restore the Majestic to its former glory and breathe new life into Hamlet’s theater.

Hamlet’s Ghost is a lighthearted contemporary romance with a hint of mystery, and a paranormal twist.

Rhi is a witch, and though she is determined to disown her heritage in order to disassociate herself from her teenage role as ‘Witchlet’ and escape her mother’s overbearing influence, she learns there is no escaping who you are. I liked Rhi a lot, she refuses to wallow in self pity despite recent events and is determined to make a success of the theater. To do so she has to figure out how to help the former owner, Kip, who haunts the premises, move on.

But there is more than simply unfinished business keeping Kip earthbound, additional drama stems from the surprising links between Rhi’s mother, local cafe owner/tarot card reader Crystal, and the ghost. A major theme of the book is the need to make peace with the past, applicable not only to Kip but also several other of the main characters, including Rhi and Tad.

The misunderstandings that keep Rhi and Tad apart during much of the novel stem from an unusual situation. I don’t want to give too much away so lets just say a case of mistaken identity plays havoc with their developing attraction. While secondary love-match plots also play out for two of the characters in this story, Annie is torn between two men and Tye is waiting for the man of her dreams, surprisingly I didn’t feel the romance, though an important element, overwhelmed the story.

A bewitching read, Hamlet’s Ghost is charming and often funny story with appealing characters and a feel-good ending. ( )
  shelleyraec | Aug 7, 2014 |

Belongs to Series

This book was written third in the series but chronological to the story it is actually second.

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,646,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible