Brave Story (Novel-Paperback) by Miyuki…

Brave Story (Novel-Paperback) (original 2003; edition 2009)

by Miyuki Miyabe

Member:2stepnk8
Title:Brave Story (Novel-Paperback)
Authors:Miyuki Miyabe
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 820 pages

Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe (2003)

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (lampbane)
    lampbane: Employs a similar theme of a child adventuring through a world created by the hearts and imaginations of people.

One of the best books I've read this year and a book I want my own copy of. I'm sure there are a million summaries of the plot so I won't summarize. Instead I will say that the story always stayed a twist or turn ahead of me and I was not able to guess what was going to happen next with any accuracy. I loved that the hero, Wataru, is truly a normal kid with nothing exceptional about him--not the usual "normal kid" who happens to be able to solve any puzzle, brave any monster, find him/herself full of amazing powers exceeding any seen before, etc. Not that that "normal kid" isn't in the story, because he is and his name is Mitsuru. But he is not the hero and plays a really different, more interesting role. Wataru's world of Vision is complex without getting bogged down in its complexities as in the Wheel of Time series. There are politics without endless meetings, for example. Though the book is over 800 pages long it never feels bloated and the story doesn't lag. The dialogue does not repeat and helps to develop the characters and further the story--there is no sense of dialogue as filler. And the ending is poetic, beautiful, wise, and thought-provoking. I felt a sense of loss when I had finished reading and realized there was no more to come.
I would recommend this to all kids about 11 and up, and to all adults who love Narnia, Middle-Earth, and the Harry Potter series. ( )
  aurelas | Dec 23, 2016 |
It took a while to pick up but after it did it was really good. Wow 816 pages gigantic. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
Although over half of the story takes place in a world which could have been pulled from a generic JRPG(this is done purposely, but that is a lot of shallow reading you have to go through), the rest of it keeps you hooked. ( )
  NickAlmighty | Apr 11, 2015 |
Starts off slowly, but turns out to be an interesting enough read. Brave Story is very detailed and planned out. It feeds the imagination so that not one visual detail can be missed, while at the same time developing the characters as the story progresses. I was disappointed with the ending though. I felt like the main character should have changed at least one thing upon his return to his world. Mitsuru certainly would have, but Wataru was a let down towards the end. It's unclear what really happens to Mitsuru, but anyone can take a well informed guess and know his fate. I just felt as if Mitsuru earned that wish since Wataru seemingly wasted it. Why struggle so much for so long if you don't do anything with your reward? ( )
  AlphaHikar | Dec 7, 2014 |
Heavy hardback with slippery pages and small text. Unpleasant to hold. Couldn't get into it. Didn't finish it. Not ashamed to admit it. :) ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
You have been chosen, walk the true path.
No one believed it at first. Not even a little.
After you return to Over There you will forget about this place before you see one sunrise and one sunset.
Wataru's logical brain—inherited from his father, no less—immediately began clicking, constructing a counterargument. Sure, if it was a problem between "Akira" and "Kimiko," then it may very well have nothing to do with "Wataru." But what if it was a problem between his "mother" and his "father"? Then it didn't make sense to leave him out of the equation.
I knew there were irresponsible fathers in the world, but that was my first time seeing one.
I exist only for those whose past does not waver or halt. For those who have stopped walking, their path is ended, and there I cannot dwell. Go forward Brave, with hope held to your breast, looking toward the future, head held high. Do this, and I will always be at your side. And remember that the path you have left behind can be a marker, showing you the way you must go.
There's a point to all the mistakes, the comebacks, the rethinking, the living—the living for all you're worth. There's a point to finding your own path. Please, give the people of Vision a chance to find theirs.

With a determined plan to reunite his mother and father, the 10-year-old boy named Wataru knowingly enters a fantasy realm inhabited by a goddess who has the power to change destiny. With the help of the Lizard Boy, the Cat Girl, and the Fire-breathing Dragon, Wataru faces a series of seemingly insurmountable obstacles on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure. One way or another, the young hero must reach the Tower of Destiny and bring his mother and father back together again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,178,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible