Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin by Nancy…

Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin

by Nancy Atherton

Lori Sheperd, mother of 5 yr old twins, wife of lawyer Bill, and owner of Aunt Dimity's English cottage, volunteers at the hospital. She takes books to patients, especially to patients who appear to have no one who cares. Such a patient was Miss Lizzie Beacham, a retired legal secretary. Lori enjoyed her visits with Miss Beacham. And one day, Lori arrived at the hospital to find that Miss Beacham had died an hour earlier. Lori finds herself in charge of finding Miss Beacham's brother Kenneth. Lori finds many surprises and meets the many people in Miss Beacham's life. A sweet little story of a quiet albeit mysterious life. ( )
  Raspberrymocha | Apr 5, 2017 |
Despite my misgivings about the stuffed animals, I have to say this was a delightful way to pass the time. What I like best about this series is that there's none of the silly plot devices that annoy me so much. No car chases, no damsel in distress. Just a nice, light mystery. ( )
  MystereityReviews | Mar 11, 2016 |
Once again the main character forgets she's married and is terribly judgmental of other people while being no prize herself. I honestly don't know why I keep on with this series. I don't like the main character, but I really enjoyed the first book I read in the series so I suppose I keep trying to find another like it! ( )
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
Lori Shepard collects people. As Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin opens, Lori has begun a new project, inspired by her friend Lucinda Willoughby, a nurse at Oxford's Radcliffe Infirmary. There are too many patients with no one to visit them; what better way for Lori to add to her collection than to become Radcliffe Infirmary's first freelance visitor?

Within weeks of taking on this task Lori meets Elizabeth Beacham, unmarried, terminally ill, and the best listener Lori's ever met. Rather than spending their time together recounting tales of her own past glories--as most of Lori's patients do--Miss Beacham draws stories out of Lori. Needless to say, Lori is up to the challenge. But the terminally ill die, and so does Miss Beacham, mere days after their meeting. Lori is crushed, as she felt that she had truly found a soulmate in this poor friendless woman.

She takes it upon herself to find Elizabeth Beacham's estranged brother--who, apparently, couldn't even be bothered to visit his terminally ill sister in hospital--and along the way finds yet another character to add to her collection. Gabriel Ashcroft, painter and downstairs neighbor to Elizabeth Beacham for four years, joins Lori on her quest to solve the mystery of the missing next of kin. As they go they learn about the many ways a quiet, unassuming woman can influence the lives of those around her.

Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin is a sweet, gentle mystery, an exploration of what it means to be a good person and how knowing someone who is truly good can lift one up to another level. ( )
1 vote BeckyJG | Apr 22, 2010 |
No doubt a cozy, this installment of Lori Shepherd's adventures had mystery that did not involve murder, but rather a missing person. The activity in Next of Kin revolved mostly around Oxford, but some of Lori's neighbors and family in finch played a nice role as well. Another fun, cozy read from Atherton! ( )
  fiberfool | May 25, 2008 |
For
Miss Mousehole
and
Mr. Scooter-pie,
my little loves
I stopped reading newspapers years ago and I never watch the television news.

Nancy Atherton’s charming Aunt Dimity series has won the hearts of cozy mystery fans everywhere. Now, Lori Shepherd, feeling a touch world-weary, decides to become a volunteer at the Radcliffe Infirmary, where she can spread a little good cheer in the community. There she meets Elizabeth Beacham, a kind, retired legal secretary with no family except a brother who has mysteriously disappeared.

Lori is saddened when Miss Beacham passes away suddenly after only a few visits. But when she receives an envelope containing a set of keys and a letter Miss Beacham wrote to her just a few days before her death, it becomes clear that there was much more to the gentle invalid than met the eye. Notices start arriving around the village of the large bequests made before her death. And Lori finds that Miss Beacham’s flat is filled with priceless antiques—an inheritance too precious to remain unclaimed. Armed with a few clues and Aunt Dimity’s help, Lori begins to unearth Miss Beacham’s secrets and, ultimately, the surprising truth about her next-of-kin. In this page-turning installment, Aunt Dimity reaches beyond the grave to help another kindly spirit finally rest in peace.

Lori Shepherd, feeling a touch world-weary, decides to become a volunteer at the Radcliffe Infirmary, where she can spread a little good cheer in the community. There she meets Elizabeth Beacham, a kind, retired legal secretary with no family except a brother who has mysteriously disappeared. Lori is saddened when Miss Beacham passes away suddenly after only a few visits. But when she receives an envelope containing a set of keys and a letter Miss Beacham wrote to her just a few days before her death, it becomes clear that there was much more to the gentle invalid than met the eye. Notices start arriving around the village of the large bequests made before her death. And Lori finds that Miss Beacham's flat is filled with priceless antiques--an inheritance too precious to remain unclaimed. Armed with a few clues and Aunt Dimity's help, Lori begins to unearth Miss Beacham's secrets and, ultimately, the surprising truth about her next-of-kin.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,959,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible