Double Sin and Other Stories by Agatha…
Member:evareads
Title:Double Sin and Other Stories
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Berkley Pub Group (1993), Paperback
Tags:short stories, crime

Double Sin and Other Stories by Agatha Christie

Recently added byprivate library, queenmaab, Themis-Athena, ThomasLDintypig, davidandliz, cindyalee

A very small collection of Agatha Chriistie stories; Poiriots and Marples of the light but enjoyable type and two quite awful supernatural tales. I esp. found the dressmaker's doll bizarre and strange and not near as creepy as I'm guessing she wanted it to be.
  amyem58 | Aug 20, 2017 |
Short stories include four featuring Hercule Poirot, Double Sin and Wasps' Nest (both pub.1929), The Theft of the Royal Ruby (1960) and The Double Clue (1925); a non-mystery strange tale, The Dressmaker's Doll (1958); a Miss Marple mystery, Greenshaw's Folly (1957); The Last Seance (1926), and finally Sanctuary (1954), a very good mystery featuring Miss Marple again. My library copy of this book had three penciled comments with different handwriting on the title page of The Last Seance: "not good", "I agree!" and "disappointing". I agree, too.
  closefriend | Mar 29, 2017 |
This was a random collection of short stories by Agatha Christie. Some of the stories were great, and some left me wondering "what just happened here?", but not in a good way. Her mysteries starring Poirot and Miss Marple were what I expected. However, I was not expecting her gothic horror short stories. "The Dressmaker's Doll" was a decent supernatural story. I thought the conclusion was a great way to end the story. I found myself smiling when it was over. "The Last Seance" was one of the stories left me scratching my head. I'm still not sure what happened at the ending. But they were all brief, short stories so I don't feel like I wasted too much time on the duds. ( )
  jguidry | Oct 6, 2016 |
The Dressmaker's Doll was really creepy! And so was The Last Seance. ( )
  Rich_B | Jun 2, 2016 |
Double Sin: Poirot & Marple, Christie

? ? ?

Double Sin: Waylaid on the way to visit a client, M. Poirot & Hastings come across a niece selling a valuable piece for her aunt and a young man w/ a "feeble" mustache

Wasp's Nest: A dying man, caught in a love triangle, plots a murder... seemingly his own.... M. Poirot heads him off at the pass

The Theft of the Royal Ruby (also known as The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding): A missing ruby ends up in the Christmas Pudding, M. Poirot grabs it and proceeds to solve the case

The Dressmaker's Doll: A doll appears in the shop—a floppy, long-legged doll that sits itself on the best sofa. But where did it come from, and why does it appear to watch them?

Greenshaw's Folly: An old woman who likes to play games, shot in the back w/ an arrow; a Lady's Companion owed back wages; a disinherited nephew; and Miss Marple as a witness to the will.....

The Double Clue: M. Poirot is asked to attend a dinner party of a famous collector... After dinner the safe is found to have been rifled and its contents removed. For some reason there are two very obvious clues.... Why would a thief be so careless as to leave two personal belongings behind?

The Last Seance: "Raoul Daubreuil insists his fiancée give up her activities as a talented and successful medium when they marry. However, he agrees to attend what is to be her last séance—with Madame Exe. But even Raoul can't foresee the tragedy ahead." -- Amazon

Sanctuary: "Bunch, engrossed in her flower arrangements for the church, is placing the chrysanthemums when she sees a man crumpled over on the chancel steps, dying. The man can only utter one word, “sanctuary.” No one at the vicarage understands what he means, and nothing can be done to stop his death. But, when his relatives promptly arrive to pick up his possessions, Bunch can’t get the word out of her head. She knows just who to turn to, her godmother, Miss Marple. What Bunch and Miss Marple discover is more exciting than anything that could be expected to happen in a sleepy village like Chipping Cleghorn. Who is this man, and what does “sanctuary” mean?" --Amazon ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
I had called into my friend Poirot's room to find him sadly overworked.
Contains: Double sin, Wasp's nest, The theft of the royal ruby, The dressmaker's doll, Greenshaw's folly, The double clue, The last seance, Sanctuary.

CONTENTS:
Double Sin [Poirot]
"Double Sin" was first published as "By Road or Rail" in the Sunday Dispatch, 23 September 1928
Wasps' Nest [Poirot]
"Wasps' Nest was first published as "The Wasps' Nest in the Daily Mail, 20 November 1928
The Theft of the Royal Ruby [Poirot]
"The Theft of the Royal Ruby was first published as "The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding" in The Sketch, 12 December 1923. This is an expanded version of the story.
Dressmaker's Doll
First published in Woman's Journal, December 1958.
Greenshaw's Folly [Miss Marple]
Double Clue [Poirot]
"The Double Clue was first published in The Sketch, 5 December 1923
Last séance
First published in the USA in Ghost Stories magazine, November 1926, and as "The Stolen Ghost" in The Sovereign Magazine, March 1927
Sanctuary [Miss Marple]

Wikipedia page

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312981678, Mass Market Paperback)

In one of London's most elegant shops, a decorative doll in green velvet adopts some rather human, and sinister, traits....A country gentleman is questioned about a murder that has yet to be committed....In summoning spirits, a medium is drawn closer to the world of the dead than she ever imagined possible....In a small country church, a dying man's last word, sanctuary, becomes both an elegy and a clue to a crime. Only the Queen of Crime could have conceived such delicious treats for mystery lovers. Only the inimitable Herule Poirot and Miss Marple could solve them with such chilling perfection.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:13 -0400)

Collects eight classic Christie mysteries in a treasury that includes four vignettes starring the inimitable Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot; two featuring the indomitable English gentlewoman Miss Marple; and two supernatural stories.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,654,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible