With Every Heartbeat

by Linda Kage

Series: Forbidden Men (4)

*New Adult Romance***Explicit Scenes and Language**I used to think everything was black and white, truth or lie, easy or hard, that if I could just escape my strict, overbearing, abusive father, my life would be perfect. But since I've found a reason to risk his wrath and leave, to help a friend in need, I've come to realize everything I thought I knew is wrong. Friends have their own agenda, honesty comes with a dosage of lie, easy doesn't even exist, keeping secrets sucks, and love...love is the most painful thing of all. Maybe if Quinn Hamilton hadn't asked me to skip classes for the day and help him pick out an engagement ring for my best friend, I wouldn't have fallen for him so completely on that sunny Tuesday afternoon and I wouldn't feel so conflicted. But I did, and I can't take it back, no matter how hard I try. So I have to deal with the fact that even I'm not as good, or honest, or caring as I'd always thought I was, and no matter what I do next, someone's going to get hurt. Probably me.-Zoey Blakeland… (more)

ummary
Zoey Blakefield has escaped her abusive father and has come to save her best friends and new roommates life. Her roommate is on dialysis and needs a transplant, and Zoey is more than willing to give a kidney to her. Zoey is shy and reserved and has never been around many people, but she is in a new way of living, coming to college. She never imagined that she would be attracted to her roommates boyfriend. And despite their attraction she knows that nothing can ever happen, she would never betray her friend in that way. Quinn Hamilton is sweet and fun-loving, but Cora is his first girlfriend and is dedicated and loyal to her. He would do anything for her, to keep her happy. Quinn never imagined that he would start have sex dreams about Zoey, and be able to connect with her on a level he never has with Cora. When he learns some awful truths about Cora, he fights for the woman he truly desires and wants more than anything. Soon though Quinn and Zoey will be tested in a way which their relationship will go through the ringer, and only by trusting in the love they have built will they find a way to be together.

“Sometimes, it’s the little things we do that mean the most to others.”

The Hero
Quinn Hamilton is a sweet but shy guy. He plays on the football team and is a starter. Quinn has never had a girlfriend until he came to college. Quinn didn't have an easy childhood, and still bears the scars from that horrid time in his past. It still haunts him at times and worships Cora because she is the first girl to give him notice. Quinn was quite the heartbreaking hero and my heart just ached for him. We see what a wonderful person Quinn is...thoughtful, kind and loving. He is the perfect hero and gets treated so horribly at times by his girlfriend. Which is why I loved the way Zoey is with him, she shows him what a real relationship should be even though she has no clue herself.
The Heroine
Zoey Blakeland is a heroine that we see inside of quite a bit. And in this story even though there is alternating POV...I always loved the parts where we inside of Zoey. She is a character, that is so afraid of everything, almost afraid of her own shadow. She has never really had a chance to build confidence until now. We see how her characters change, and although it's a slow change, it's a good one. Zoey goes from being super quiet and shy to fighting for what she wants and stands up to Cora, and I so cheered her on in those special moments where you see her true character come forth and shine. Zoey is talented, intelligent and sweet. Perfect match for our Quinn. Here below is a scene that I love Zoey in with Quinn and Ten (who is quite the scoundrel but very funny and he plays a huge role with the love story that develops between Quinn and Zoey)

"Something's wrong with his penis."

"What?" a clear confused Quinn said as Ten choked out a horrified growl.

"I'm Sorry, I didn't mean to say that out loud, but..oh my God. It doesn't look like yours. There's this big, blood bruise looking thing on it."

"Blondie!" Ten cried in a strained voice. "Shut...Up!!"

I Finally glanced at him. As I looked at him, though, all I could see was that huge discoloration on his junk.

"I'm sorry." I said, genuinely remorseful for blurting what was probably something very private about his privates. "I just couldn't keep it in. I tried. But..oh my God. What is it? Does it hurt?"

Quinn choked out a surprised laugh, while a blushing Ten slapped his palm against his forehead

"It's a birthmark." He gritted out "Just a birthmark. Nothing is wrong with my dick.

Plot and Story Line
With Every Heartbeat is such an emotional addition to the Forbidden Men series and the last book I needed to read before I finished the series and what a fun ride it is. Sad but I hear the next book is coming out soon, so I am pretty excited about that. What I have loved about this series is how each couple is unique in their situations and we see how each pair overcomes the "forbidden love" scenario that they find themselves in. Now first off I want to point out that there is no cheating in this book. Thank goodness...I have issues with that. But Linda Kage writes this story in such a way that we see a building of friendship before these two get anywhere close to being physically intimate with each other. In fact, this aspect was one of my favorites about how this story evolved, was seeing them truly bonding emotionally and intellectually before they get sex happy. Many things happen to this couple before they even get to the happy in bed aspects. What I loved about this story, and it's a theme we see in each, book of the series, is how there is alternating POV's...which is so fun. Most of the time when I read New Adult its only in one POV, and it tends to get old after a while. I LOVED how it switches from Zoey to Quinn every chapter. You see both sides of their lives and what makes them tick.

”Dr. Pepper was my drink. Strawberry was my ice cream. Pepperoni was my pizza. And Cora was my girl.

The supporting cast was quite fun...we see more of the "Forbidden couples" and their interactions are quite fun. Also we see the beginning of Ten and Caroline before their chemistry gets explosive in the next book. This story we see the build up of tension and the nasty bits of Cora. Now Cora is one nasty piece of work. At first I wasn't sure what my first impression was, I thought she was a bit flighty and conceited. I didn't really like her much but when we learn her true agenda, well lets just say I could throw her out a window. She is quite horrid to both Quinn and Cora, but Quinn and Cora are such wonderful human beings. Honestly I don't know how I would react and treat Cora afterwards, but they were much nicer than I would ever be. They stand up to her but at the same time are still decent to her. In this story Cora is the "Villain" and we learn some truths about Zoey's past which was quite shocking and I didn't see coming. The romance between Quinn and Zoey was brilliantly played out. They were perfect for each other. They both had traumatic pasts, they were both sweet and kind but had various interests that balanced them out well. Once they got together, it was like they just "fit".

"I love you. With every beat of my heart, I am yours."

What was most admirable about these two was seeing them finally together, after seeing them struggle with the complications beforehand, and finally once they are together, their troubles aren't even close to being over...but them fighting for one another and stumble and fall and get right back up and keep fighting just made the story even sweeter.

The Cover

I actually adore this cover, with that relaxing pose, so romantic yet sensual too.

Overall View
With Every Heartbeat is a love story that shows the reader what it means to fight for love and win! It is packed with endearing characters, a forbidden romance, a plot to keep you on your toes, and will charm you from the first chapter! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 22, 2019 |
Each book in the Forbidden series has dealt with a forbidden love. Each of the stories is not a conventional love story. With Every Heartbeat is no exception. At first you think how is this going to work – The main male character is dating the main female’s character’s best friend. But if you’ve ever read a Linda Kage book things are not always as they seem and there are some shocking revelations that happen by the end of this book.

Quinn and Zoey are the sweetest characters. Both came from abusive parents whose personality are more reserved and in a way shy. Another thing they have in common is their devotion to their friends. Zoey only has her childhood friend Cora when the book starts out. When she joins her at college she is surprised in the changes in her friend. But her promise to her friend that she would give her a life saving transplant even though Cora isn’t living her life like a person who needs a kidney. She’s instead living it like an out of control party girl who doesn’t care about other’s feelings. Yes Quinn and Zoey are attracted to each other but neither act on that out of their sense of conscience. But they do form a great friendship due to many things they have in common. There is no cheating here and by the time all things are revealed everyone ends up where they should be.

All of the characters from the previous books are back as they all either work together or most of the males are all on the college football team together. Zoey and Noel’s sister Caroline become good friends through this book and as her book is up next It was good getting to know her now as a college freshman. Ten was also a huge presence throughout this book and we are learning that the insensitive man-whore we all through Ten to be may just be an act/coping mechanism for a past we don’t know about yet. He proves himself to be a great friend to Quinn and Zoey and a protector to Caroline.

Manipulation and betrayal play a huge part of this book and its always the innocent who pay the price. If you think by reading the blurb for this book you know who/what that is your wrong.. Very excited now to read Ten and Caroline’s story which is next in the series.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
SPOILERS:

THE PERFECT TRIANGLE:

1. The other woman:
- His girlfriend - aka Freddy Krueger with boobs
- Typical bad girl with a damaged childhood no one should have to endure
- She hasn’t risen above it and has become detestable, unfaithful, controlling,
- Truly evil incarnate
- Sleeps around without a thought for her health nor that of her partners
I remember thinking that should she get her own book in this series, I wouldn’t read it cos I didn’t WANT her redeemed. I wanted her to rot in her vileness until the end of time – so heinous are the crimes she commits.

2. The Hero:
- The author keeps him true to his character in the previous books
- A desperate-to-belong-to-someone hero
- Falls over his feet to please the ow
- Puppy loves/adores his less than endearing gf. With wide-eyed enthusiasm
-Sleeps with/is with her until more than halfway into the book
- Betrays his gf by encouraging an intense emotional connection with the h
- About to ask ow to marry him
- Is truly blindsided by her betrayal
- Strings the h along throughout the book
- Then rejects her, judges her, betrays her when she needs him most

3. The Heroine:
- The ow’s bestie
- Sweet, downtrodden, I'll-take-my-crush-any-way-I-can heroine
- Betrays the ow
- Stupidly allows unprotected sex and contracts an infection

THE MINI 50 SHADES-LIKE THING THEY HAVE GOING ON:
-Mrs Robinson, the evil controlling ow
-Christian, the vulnerable H becomes quite the accomplished dominant lover
-Ana, the innocent h

I enjoyed all the college angst and drama (LOTS of other plots and twists I didn’t see coming) and the secondary characters. Hated the romantic-lovey-dovey feelings the H had for the ow (we get his pov and he’s quite addicted to her). The bond I feel between the Hxh is merely UST and erotic, no soul-mate hea love. ( )
  BeegPanda | Aug 2, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Linda Kage is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,936,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible