Saga Volume 4 by Brian K Vaughan

Saga Volume 4 (edition 2014)

by Brian K Vaughan (Author)

Series: Saga (collects 19-24)

"Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the universe. As they visit a strange new world and encounter even more adversaries, baby Hazel finally becomes a toddler, while her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana struggle to stay on their feet"--Back cover.
Member:lucipurrr
Title:Saga Volume 4
Authors:Brian K Vaughan (Author)
Info:Image Comics (2014), Edition: Illustrated, 144 pages
Collections:Not Mango but Pretty Pictures, Your library

Work Information

Saga Volume 4 by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer)

English (87)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (89)
I loved the first three volumes but hadn't picked up the next one yet. The first three encapsulated a full story arc and I wanted to have the same reading experience for the next arc. However, the Humble Bundle swayed me to be impatient and just read it already.

Possibly because I wasn't getting the full arc, I didn't enjoy this as much as the earlier volumes. It was still very good to see the characters I fell in love with before, but I wanted more story to sink my teeth into. I was also confused as to just how much time had passed since the events of Volume 3. Going by human growth rates, it would be at least a year since Hazel is now a toddler. But Princess Robot had just given birth, so maybe not. Gah. I want a timeline!

The other thing was this volume seemed very much set-up for later action and story development. It was moving the characters from stagnation and forcing them into a more active plot again. ( )
  wisemetis | Sep 15, 2022 |
Saga – Volume Four reinforces the quality of a vast story about a young family's struggle to find its place in the universe. With Hazel old enough to walk, Alana and Marko keep trying to survive, not only their opponents but the difficulties they feel in a hostile galaxy, which does everything to separate them.

This fourth volume begins with the birth of a new symbol. Vaughan takes the opportunity to remind us that Saga is not only about two factions at war, but all other worlds involved in the warlike narrative, like the dwarf planet Kingdom Robot. As Princess Robot gives birth and troubles between Alana and Marko subtly surface, Prince Robot IV finds himself in a brothel in Sextillion. And the new newborn is about to be kidnapped by Princess Robot's caretaker, who lost a son for being “an uninsured commoner” and believes he has found a way to “help every child in the Robot Kingdom, right down to the last one, without look at bloodlines.”

At the same time, while Marko takes care of Hazel, Alana works on The Open Circuit (a tv company), albeit always protected by a mask, as they continue to be pursued by freelancers and Gwendolyn. Gardenia, the planet where they are currently staying, is ugly but has great weather. Unfortunately, some of its inhabitants hate Terravista's “winged bastards”, which means they hate Alana.

As you can imagine, the new obstacle to be overcome has nothing to do with paid mercenaries or alien monsters. The real threat is an exhausting routine and a cheeky neighbour. Alana and Marko will have to deal with the frustrations of trying to be a standard couple when they are a hidden gem amongst lovers. She's earning money, and he's taking care of their daughter (I love how authors fight against stereotypes). And what I love most about Saga is how the series keeps addressing contemporary themes (homosexuality, drugs, the power of books and television, multiculturalism, etc), while showing what it is like to raise a child in a hostile world. ( )
  inkspellonyou | Aug 10, 2022 |
Still enjoying, but not sure I like where this is going... possibly that's the point, though. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I remember reading this and just not vibing with it originally. Cut to a couple of years later, and a buddy convinces me to try it again, and I was HOOKED. Cut to several years later yet again, and re-reading the entire series in anticipation of the release of the very long overdue next issue in the series after hiatus, and damn this story still holds up. I don't know ( )
  tapestry100 | Jan 31, 2022 |
So I guess it’s like that huh ( )
  nrfaris | Dec 23, 2021 |

Vaughan, Brian K.Writerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Staples, FionaArtistmain authorall editionsconfirmed
FonografiksLettering + designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stephenson, EricCoordinatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
One last push!
Collected issues 19-24 of the Saga comics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,285,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible