Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God

by Timothy Keller

Christian Nonfiction. Religion & Spirituality. Nonfiction. HTML:Renowned pastor and New York Times bestselling author of The Prodigal Prophet Timothy Keller explores the power of prayer.
Christians are taught in their churches and schools that prayer is the most powerful way to experience God. But few receive instruction or guidance in how to make prayer genuinely meaningful. In Prayer, renowned pastor Timothy Keller delves into the many facets of this everyday act.
With his trademark insights and energy, Keller offers biblical guidance as well as specific prayers for certain situations, such as dealing with grief, loss, love, and forgiveness. He discusses ways to make prayers more personal and powerful, and how to establish a practice of prayer that works for each reader.
Dr. Keller??s previous books have sold more than one million copies. His Redeemer Presbyterian Church is not only a major presence in his home base of New York, it has also helped to launch more than two hundred fifty other churches in forty-eight cities around the world. His teachings have already helped millions, the majority of whom pray regularly. And with Prayer, he??ll show them how to find a deeper connection with God.

… (more)

Prayer has been elusive for me. I pray with my children and with my wife but I've never really felt the power in prayer promised in the Bible.

Keller walks through different interpretations and approaches to prayer from canonical Christian heritage, much of which I was unfamiliar with. Learning about the Larger Catechism and the historical approaches to prayer was incredibly helpful. He also provides models from Augustine, Martin Luther, and John Calvin to grow my own prayer life.

This is a thick book and in typical Keller style, rich with notes for further study and reading. It took a long time to read, given the length, but it's one I'm sure I'll visit again. ( )
  ohheybrian | Dec 29, 2023 |
Keller is great at giving good insights on often visited topics. This book on prayer is no different. - Kasen Fanning

Keller isn't the most enjoyable author for me to read, but I'm deeply thankful for this book. A thoroughly researched, practical and helpful book on how we can cultivate this discipline in our lives. - James Keathley
  JourneyPC | Sep 26, 2022 |
If you are a Christian and don't know how to pray (e.g. you are a new believer and unfamiliar with prayer), or if you find your prayer life lacking in awe and intimacy with God but would rather pray rationally than follow Pentecostal prayer/worship practices, then this book provides very helpful practical steps for you. (And gives you the Biblical foundation for these steps.) You learn about how Martin Luther, John Calvin, John Owen and other past famous Christians suggest fellow believers to pray. ( )
  CathyChou | Mar 11, 2022 |
Wonderful and helpful ideas on how to improve your prayer life. ( )
  galoma | Nov 20, 2017 |
Excellent! An engaging and inspiring journey to prayer. ( )
  deldevries | Nov 19, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,383,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible