The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1997)

by Roald Dahl (Author), Quentin Blake (Illustrator)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.
Member:purplegrayson
Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl (Author)
Other authors:Quentin Blake (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic (1997), Edition: 4th THUS, 208 pages

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

English (160)  Spanish (4)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  All languages (171)
Kiddie review is little more than a demand to immediately begin reading the *other* Dahl title in the house (Matilda). I think that pretty much says it all, yes? ( )
  dowswell | Jul 25, 2021 |
I hadn't read this book since middle school, and I forgot just how exciting and eerie it is! I loved re-reading it as an adult. ( )
  SamBortle | Jul 23, 2021 |
Great story, told with suspense, a real thriller. Fun and creative, a real joy to listen to on audio. ( )
  deldevries | Feb 7, 2021 |
Essentially Danny The Champion of the World with magic instead of realism. Not as sweet as "Danny" but just as lovable. A mid-level solid Roald Dahl book. ( )
  Smokler | Jan 3, 2021 |
I'm only reading this book because I want to read The Witches: The Graphic Novel by Pénélope Bagieu, and I prefer to have read the original work before reading an adaptation. I never read Roald Dahl's book when I was a child, and I fear I must have missed some window of appreciation, because I just don't get why his stuff is popular at all.

I mean this book starts out with some heavy woman hating -- all witches are women, witches are hard to distinguish, therefore it's best to be suspicious of all women -- and ends on the premise later used for the Dexter TV show. I understand how this can be viewed as subversive, but it just mostly seems inappropriate to me. ( )
  villemezbrown | Nov 3, 2020 |

ATB (127)

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,444,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible