The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1995)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

Member:paulbaskerville
Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:London : Puffin, 1995.
Tags:children, study

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

English (135)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  All (145)
This book is short, only a little over 200 pages long, and absolutely worth the money and the read!! I've enjoyed the movie since I was a child myself and own it on DVD as an adult, and it was fun to see the ways in which the book was similar and quite different from the movie version.

In addition to being a quick read, it's also a completely entertaining and fascinating story. One of the things that I love is that one of the heroes is a plucky but tough old lady. You just don't see grandmothers as heroines of stories much and it really is a nice thing to see! I think especially for me, because I was always quite close to my maternal grandparents growing up as we lived in the same house.

There are some things in the book that may not be considered appropriate for kids these days, but I doubt they were a big deal back when this was first published. It's amazing what just a few decades can do to the culture and how kids are viewed and reared and the things we think they should be sheltered from change.

There are definitely a lot of instances where I think some parents would cringe, while others wouldn't mind at all. I think the best thing to do would be to read the book first if you're the sort of parent that feels it's important to be careful what their kids are allowed to read.

Still, I think this book is something any kid will have fun reading and will be absolutely entertained by. I would definitely recommend it! In fact, it could be a rather fun book to read together with your kid each night, if you're willing and able to do bedtime read-togethers or just bedtime story-telling. And if you haven't done that yet, well this might be a good book to start that with.

Obviously, kids who come from a family where they practice a pagan religion, or have friends or other family who do, and identify as Witches may need a bit of a disclaimer before reading it. It definitely is not a kind depiction of witches in the story, and there could be some feminist parents who balk at some things as well. I think once you finish the third chapter, you probably know all you need to know in order to decide if your child should be allowed to read the book, personally. But then, I don't have children and when I was a kid my mother didn't restrict what I read, so I may be coming at it from a skewed perspective. ( )
  madam_razz | May 20, 2017 |
God this book was so scary for me when I was younger.. ( )
  KadeishaEdwards | Apr 7, 2017 |
A re-read from when I was a kid. Still an amazing book! I love Dahl’s style and how he’s no holds barred for children. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Dec 26, 2016 |
This is a fictional book about the witches that live all around us and how this affects our lives. It is an imaginative book that is so engaging and interesting to read, with periodic sketches drawn by Dahl throughout.
  amelianewton | Dec 6, 2016 |
A childhood favorite. Narrated to great effect by Lynn Redgrave. ( )
  JennyArch | Dec 2, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionscalculated
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,481,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible