The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1995)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:London : Puffin, 1995.
Tags:children, study

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

English (119)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  All languages (129)
Why did I wait until I was an adult to read this book? Oh, that's right, because I saw the movie when I was too young still and it scared me so badly that when I heard about the book it was based off of i avoided it like the plague. Now I wish I hadn't avoided it for so long. While I enjoyed it as an adult, I am sure I would have appreciated much more maybe in, say, Middle school.

I know a lot of people consider this a children's book and it is, but I feel the content can be a bit much for some kids. The idea of this being read to a group of 1st-2nd graders is scary in itself. While some kids may be fine, others will be freaked out. Dahl's writing is just that good for this.

The images are light and actually help tone it down in my opinion but my husband said it was the opposite back when he read it.

This book is about a young boy is must face of which some witches who want to rid the world of nasty, pesty children. With some help from his grandmamma (who is a hoot and I love), he must stop them. But what can a little boy do against powerful witches? Read and find out!

I loved how Dahl describes witches. there were a few parts that even made me laugh and well as give me inner child a couple shivers. The story is very engaging and I enjoyed it.

This is recommended reading but for kids, I am not sure a forced classroom read is the way to go as the subject can still be sensitive. Reading individually with your child if they are younger or encourage discussion about the book if they are older and are not reacting positively. Middle school aged kids should be fine I think.
  jljaina | Oct 7, 2015 |
@witches +matilda ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
Probably my favorite Childrens book ( )
  ashlou6225 | Feb 5, 2015 |
One of my favorite Books ever.-Armycop123 ( )
  Armycop123 | Nov 24, 2014 |
SUMMARY: A boy and his grandmother must fight against the evil witches' plan to turn all the children in the world into rats.

REVIEW: A Roald Dahl book is sure to be favorite of mine, so of course I adore this particular novel. Dahl's funny, satirical humor gives his writing a unique style that I think kids of all ages will enjoy. This book also has some memorable quotes, such as: “It doesn't matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” Additionally, there is always some sort of moral lesson in each of Dahl's books. However, I think the main draw of this novel is that it is simply a fun read. ( )
  amay3 | Nov 8, 2014 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141310847, 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,856,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible