The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1995)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

Member:paulbaskerville
Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:London : Puffin, 1995.
Tags:children, study

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

English (128)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  All languages (138)
I saw the Witches mentioned in a challenge in a GoodReads group about books that had been made into movies. Though there was a vague sense of familiarity with the movie, an I'm-sure-I-saw-that vibe, I couldn't remember reading the book as a kid. I figured it would be a rather short read so I picked it up (thank you, Kindle) the other night.

I don't think it was a favorite Dahl when I was a kid but I do remember some scenes from book and screen fondly enough. It was fun revisiting, anyway. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Cute, and very Dahl. It's an odd story, even for Dahl - and it ends with the beginning of a bigger story. The language is amusing - the long lists of synonyms for action, in particular. The boy (who never gets a name, as far as I can see) is mildly amusing and rather ordinary, though he does handle his transformation with great aplomb; his grandmother (who also never gets a name) is a much more extraordinary person. Though I don't see why she doesn't want to pass her information on to other "witchophiles" (wrong word, by the way - it means lover of witches, not studier of witches. Witchologist, perhaps, would have been better). It would be a way to deal with witches everywhere much faster than just the two of them going around. But all that is after this story ends, so maybe they will inform others, later. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Aug 31, 2016 |
This book fucking scared me.

I listened to it when I was tiny wee, as an audiobook, in school, as part of a literacy rotation. And it scared me, and I had to pretend that everything was fine in class. Tiny wee eight-year-old me tryin' to keep my cool in class after reading this terrifying piece of literature. (It still scares me, I won't even lie.)

But I love Roald Dahl. He treats children with respect. He knows they're intelligent, intuitive little things.

The plot in this book is brilliant, it has a really nice build to it, and the narrative voice is lovely.

It's actually not my favourite Dahl because I don't remember so many lines from it as I do from some of his others, but this is a classic book of his, and everyone should read it. c: ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
All the love! ( )
  pennylane78 | Jun 6, 2016 |
[a:Roald Dahl|4273|Roald Dahl|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1311554908p2/4273.jpg] is talking about a witch world.. A witch dynasty who like to eat children from all over the world. And how does Grandmother and a seven year old grandson defeat the witches is the story about.
As all his books, this book is also full of humor but i didnt like it as Charlies's chocolate factory or Matilda...
  PallaviSharma | May 9, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141310847, 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible