The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1995)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

7,468None461 (4.11)109
Member:paulbaskerville
Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:London : Puffin, 1995.
Tags:children, study

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

20th century (33) adventure (34) British (46) chapter book (50) childhood (31) children (218) children's (320) children's book (33) children's books (60) children's fiction (103) children's literature (142) classic (37) Dahl (46) England (43) fantasy (448) fiction (587) horror (30) humor (140) juvenile (45) kids (50) magic (97) mice (62) novel (55) own (39) read (104) Roald Dahl (95) to-read (37) witches (288) YA (46) young adult (85)

English (112)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  All languages (122)
This classic Roald Dahl book features a little boy, his grandmother, and a visit to England. While on their visit, they come across some witches and an adventure begins.
  Emily.Small | Feb 22, 2014 |
Interesting, unique ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Loved it as a child, love it as an adult. Well done, Mr. Dahl. ( )
  brandyhei | Jan 14, 2014 |
We are all moused when life hits us with its evil witchy side. The important thing is to be brave about it, and no one is better to help a young soul to get a grasp on the situation than a tough old granny. Everyone knows that on one level or other - but no one can tell us this the way Roald Dahl does. Quentin Blake gets the essence of every situation with a few strokes of his pencil.
I reread the book for my grandson this Christmas for the first time since my own youngest was about his age (7), and I am as surprised and enjoyed as the first time, of the genius of R. D. ( )
  Mikalina | Dec 26, 2013 |
I probably would have loved this book as a child, but the story-telling style didn't work well with my adult sensibilities. Still, the tell-tale characteristics of witches were fun, and the witches' convention was a hoot. I read the Grand Witch's dialogue aloud to myself and couldn't help laughing as I did it. ( )
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:02 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141310847, 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,456,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible