The witches by Roald Dahl

The witches (original 1983; edition 1995)

by Roald Dahl, Quentin Blake

Member:paulbaskerville
Title:The witches
Authors:Roald Dahl
Other authors:Quentin Blake
Info:London : Puffin, 1995.
Tags:children, study

The Witches by Roald Dahl (1983)

English (124)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Catalan (2)  All languages (134)
a young boy and his Norwegian grandmother in a world where child-hating evil witches secretly exist. ( )
  lindy_brooke | Apr 12, 2016 |
Rereading this book as an adult, I am seriously surprised at how gruesome it is! Roald Dahl is still wonderful, though. I love his vocabulary.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Summary: A young boy loves his grandma and the stories she tells. One day, she tells him about real occurrences with real witches! Intrigued, the young boy and his grandma set off on an adventure where he comes face-to-face with real witches. ( )
  mloya | Jan 31, 2016 |
I saw the Witches mentioned in a challenge in a GoodReads group about books that had been made into movies. Though there was a vague sense of familiarity with the movie, an I'm-sure-I-saw-that vibe, I couldn't remember reading the book as a kid. I figured it would be a rather short read so I picked it up (thank you, Kindle) the other night.

I don't think it was a favorite Dahl when I was a kid but I do remember some scenes from book and screen fondly enough. It was fun revisiting, anyway. ( )
  lemotamant898 | Jan 18, 2016 |
It was entertaining. A good young adult book. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |

Roald Dahlprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blake, QuentinIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leach, MollyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Liccy
In fairy-tales, witches always wear silly black hats and black cloaks, and they ride on broomsticks.

But this is not a fairy-tale. This is about REAL WITCHES.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014241011X, Paperback)

"This is not a fairy tale. This is about real witches." So begins one of Roald Dahl's best books ever, and, ironically, it is such a great story because the premise is perfectly plausible from the outset. When the narrator's parents die in a car crash on page two (contrast this terribly real demise with that of James's parents who are devoured by an escaped rhinoceros in James and the Giant Peach), he is taken in by his cigar-smoking Norwegian grandmother, who has learned a storyteller's respect for witches and is wise to their ways.

The bond between the boy and his grandmother becomes the centerpiece of the tale--a partnership of love and understanding that survives even the boy's unfortunate transformation into a mouse. And once the two have teamed up to outwitch the witches, the boy's declaration that he's glad he's a mouse because he will now live only as long as his grandmother is far more poignant than eerie.

Of course, there's adventure here along with Dahl's trademark cleverness and sense of the grotesque. Dahl also communicates some essential truths to children: if they smoke cigars, they'll never catch cold, and, most importantly, they should never bathe, because a clean child is far, far easier for a witch to smell than a dirty one. (Ages 7 to 10, or read aloud to younger children)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:50 -0400)

A young boy and his Norwegian grandmother, who is an expert on witches, together foil a witches' plot to destroy the world's children by turning them into mice.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141310847, 014180596X, 0141322640, 0141807822

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 6,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible