Perfect Sins: A Mystery by Jo Bannister

A new author to me, I really enjoyed the story. I had no idea it was part of the series though, as the book gives no indication whatsoever. No #2 or series info on the cover or inside. I will definitely read the next one and check out her other titles.

Ash and Best make a good team working on two cases, one which is trying to find Ash's kidnapped family by the Somali pirates, and the one they stumble onto in Best's hometown. They find a body buried more recently than expected and stay in town to unravel the mystery. ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
Little bit of false advertising here. I expected the book to be about the missing family of the man investigating Somali Pirates. 80% of the book was about a mystery on an English estate involving the body of a boy recovered in an archeological dig. It was a great story that kept my interest. Only in the last part of the book did we find anything about Ash's family. I would expect a sequel since the missing family's fate was very much left up in the air. ( )
  velopunk | Feb 26, 2015 |

"Four years ago, Gabriel Ash was working with the British government investigating hijackings in Somalia. But when his wife and sons disappeared, presumably taken--and probably killed--by pirates, his life fell apart. He has sudden reason to hope when a senior policeman suggests that his sons might still be alive--until that policeman is murdered. Still, there seems to be some link to a local operation, and Ash, no longer a government agent, is determined to find it. Meanwhile, his friend Hazel Best has been having a tough time of her own. A police constable whose last case ended with her shooting someone dead, she is just beginning to regain her balance. Hazel and Ash are both beginning to take more of an interest in the outside world, when a neighboring archaeologist decides to dig up a curious mound of earth near the ice house on his land. It might be a burial mound, he thinks. It is, but not the ancient one he expects; it holds the bones of a little boy from perhaps thirty years ago, carefully laid to rest with twentieth-century toys. As Hazel is slowly drawn back into police work, Ash finds himself under threat from someone who must think his investigation into his family's disappearance is finally getting somewhere... Jo Bannister's police procedurals have been widely praised not only for outstanding plotting and suspense, but also for their brilliant and compelling characterization"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,457,541 books! | Top bar: Always visible