The Swords of the Sultan: Book I of III: THE ELYSIAN DYNASTY

by J. Eric Booker

313,497,151 (1)None
Windy City Reviews: "Intriguing premise, clear conflict, and a sound resolution." Deep within the heart of an ancient city ruled by a powerful empire, a young orphan named Baltor struggles daily to survive, having to drink from animal troughs and steal food. Pursuant to imperial law, the minimum penalty for thievery means the loss of a hand...the maximum penalty is death! As what happens to most thieves, the day inevitably comes when Baltor gets caught stealing-this time, a loaf of bread. Thankfully he is not caught by a guard, but by a beautiful and exotic woman named Lady Lydia. She not only graciously offers the boy some breakfast, yet a surprising proposition--become "a master thief" like herself. Having no other choices in life, he agrees to both offers. After breakfast, Lydia leads the boy to a magnificent "top secret" underground labyrinth located beneath the city, where expert thief-training grounds were built five centuries earlier. Instead of training him however, she unexpectedly hands him off to a man she introduces as Drill Instructor Humonus before disappearing into the labyrinth.Right away, this cold-and-cruel man's hardcore training proves to be hellish and dangerous for the boy...will he even survive DAY 1? And what in the world do the pictured swords have to do with Baltor's past and future?Read BOOK I OF III to find out these mysterious answers...as well many, many more!**Hint-hint--There's a vampire somewhere in this book, waiting for the right time to strike against my hero, Baltor Elysian!**… (more)

Ok, I made it through the first chapter, but that is it. This appears to be a world of medieval tech level, as the main character's father was a metalsmith who mainly dealt with horseshoes.

So, why do words like warp speed" and "refrigerated" appear? In the first chapter?

Then the plot. A young man's family is killed. They seem to be a slightly lower middle class. And nobody investigates? No other family exists? Our hero is left on his own to starve on the streets. When suddenly! A BUSTY BLONDE follows him, tells him he is cute, shows off her cleavage, reveals she is a master thief AND she thinks he has the talent to be a master thief as well. And all this because he stole a sausage.

Methinks the author is thinking with their own little sausage.

Writing style. In the beginning, the author shows me 7 ways that he doesn't appear comfortable with words. After showing me those 7 ways, he goes on to show me 3 other ways he could have been comfortable with words, but wasn't.

Ok, the above is an exaggeration, but that is what the author does. He literally shows me the world by the numbers. Almost like a connect the dots.

Thankfully, this was free. So while I was expecting a decent tale, at least I didn't pay for those expectations. If you can get past the above, maybe you'll enjoy this book? But I don't want to waste my time finding out. warp speed & refrigerate were enough for me." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,488,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible