The Whites: A Novel by Richard Price

The Whites: A Novel (2015)

by Richard Price

English (50)  Piratical (1)  All languages (51)
This is a police procedural. I believe it made a few lists back in 2015/2016. The setting is New York City. Billy Graves, works the nights, his wife is an ER nurse, and they have two sons. Billy and some pals from the past all have their Whites. A white is like the whale in Moby Dick. A criminal they failed to catch. They are haunted by their whites. Billy has his guilt for a career that was ruined. Something haunts his wife. Billy’s father, a former officer, is suffering with dementia and the family is being threatened by an unknown stalker. So a lot going on in this book. It’s an okay story all in all. It addresses ethical dilemmas that an officer faces in his job to uphold the law and his friendships with other officers. ( )
  Kristelh | Dec 8, 2018 |
I liked this story and didn't like it at the same time. I guess it made me uncomfortable, and that could be what Richard Price was going for. The writing is good - the characters had me on edge. ( )
  decaturmamaof2 | Nov 28, 2018 |
Nope. Uhuh.

So I only made it 13 minutes into this audiobook. It was a looooong 13 minutes too. *smh* I just ... Problem one, the main character is exactly what you expect. He is every hard-boiled detective ever. All the tropes. They are all there. Still, I listened a bit longer. There was, after all, one really funny line about Jiffy Pop climaxes.

But then it got worse. A Korean character enters. The narrator does a stereotypical asian accent for the character. My reluctance got a bit deeper, but I thought, "Well, plenty of actors do shitty Southern accents too, and the character is, after all, Korean." But then the mother of a gang member entered the story. Annnnd the voice actor did a stereotypically black accent for her.

I'm kind of done now. ( )
  Zoes_Human | Nov 3, 2018 |
This is like reading The Shield. There's a great crime plot--two, actually--but that's almost beside the point. Price is great at recreating the stuff of everyday life: the groans, the frustrations, the sarcasm, the rolling of eyes--all of which make the cops believable and the reader's relationship with them as tight as it is. (At least it was for me.) The audiobook, read by Ari Fliakos, is one of the best I've heard. Recommended. ( )
  Stubb | Aug 28, 2018 |
It's a predictable Price procedural, but it's also predictably well written, compelling and educational. ( )
  mrgan | Oct 30, 2017 |
Despite its occasional lumps, this novel is, at once, a gripping police procedural and an affecting study in character and fate.

As Billy Graves drove down Second Avenue to work, the crowds worried him: a quarter past one in the morning and There were still,far more people piling into the bars than leaving them, everyone coming and going having to muscle their way through the swaying clumps of half-hammered smokers standing directly outside the entrances.

The electrifying debut of a new master of American crime fiction, Harry Brandt—the pen name of novelist Richard Price

Back in the run-and-gun days of the mid-90s, when Billy Graves worked in the South Bronx as part of an anti-crime unit known as the Wild Geese, he made headlines by accidentally shooting a 10-year-old boy while stopping an angel-dusted berserker in the street. Branded as a cowboy by his higher-ups, for the next eighteen years Billy endured one dead-end posting after another. Now in his early forties, he has somehow survived and become a sergeant in Manhattan Night Watch, a small team of detectives charged with responding to all night-time felonies from Wall Street to Harlem.

Night Watch usually acts a set-up crew for the day shift, but when Billy is called to a 4:00 a.m. fatal slashing of a man in Penn Station, his investigation of the crime moves beyond the usual handoff. And when he discovers that the victim was once a suspect in the unsolved murder of a 12-year-old boy—a brutal case with connections to the former members of the Wild Geese—the bad old days are back in Billy's life with a vengeance, tearing apart enduring friendships forged in the urban trenches and even threatening the safety of his family.

Richard Price, one of America’s most gifted novelists, has always written brilliantly about cops, criminals, and New York City. Now, writing as Harry Brandt, he is poised to win a huge following among all those who hunger for first-rate crime fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:38 -0400)

"Back in the bad old days, when Billy Graves worked for an anti-crime unit in [the South Bronx] known as the Wild Geese, the NYPD branded him as a cowboy. Now forty, he has somehow survived and become a sergeant in Manhattan Night Watch. Mostly, his team of detectives conducts a series of holding actions--and after years in police purgatory, Billy is content simply to do his job. But soon after he gets a [4:00] a.m. call about the fatal knifing of a [man] in [Penn Station], his investigation moves beyond the usual handoff to the day shift. And when he discovers that the victim was once a suspect in the unsolved murder of a [12-year-old boy], he finds himself drawn back to the [mid]- 1990s when the Wild Geese were at their most wayward"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Price's book The Whites was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,782,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible