Smiley by Laurann Dohner
Vanni is furious when her fianc? tricks her into attending a conference where his father's church is protesting the New Species Organization. She hates everything those vile bigots stand for. Vanni goes to the bar to cool off and ends up seated next to a handsome New Species. Things heat up fast when they are both drugged. Smiley doesn't want to believe the sweet human would dose them with the breeding drug. He's willing to trust her and determined to save her life. He'll hold her. Protect her. Offer up his body to distract them both from the pain. She is his female, even if she doesn't realize it yet. A Romantica? paranormal erotic romance from Ellora's Cave… (more)

They are drugged with a breeding drug that gets them all hot and getting things on. Suspicion all around but Smiley knows Vanni didn't have anything to do with it. Pscho groups are up to the same mischief and the New Species save Vanni. Smiley's a total goner and she learns to trust not all men are jerks. There was something missing for me, but was a good read, with a few minor editing issues.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I love this series and was so happy to read this particular one. I think it was the best by far. Smiley is such an amazing character. I cannot wait for the next book!

I hope that some of the femalE species would have their own books! ( )
  Emmie217 | Jun 27, 2018 |
~ 3.5 Smiley Stars ~

Smiley is book thirteen in the New Species series by Laurann Dohner. This series is best read in order, so you can get a feel for the friendships, world building and trials these characters go through.

Smiley is the first primate to get a book, but it was not as great as I was hopping for. We start off meeting Vanni, who is mad at her fiancé for tricking her into attending his father’s church protest. She wants nothing to do with her soon to be father-in-law’s hate church and the lies they spit about the New Species. Instead of leaving. What does she do, but head off to the bar and ends up next to our ever loving New Species Smiley. Things go from good to bad fast and now Vanni’s life is plastered all over the news.

The relationship with Smily and Vanni is HAWT and STEAMY in the bedroom, but the characters are eh! I have liked Smily from the moment he was introduced to us in this series, but he was just ok in this installment. There where times I liked him and then other times he felt flat. I also got the impression that he was being pushy with the marriage/mate aspect and that he repeated himself a lot in this area when he was trying to convince Vanni. Vanni was dime whited, immature, boring, and just blah. She did not work for me. I also never like it when a character is still in a relationship, even if he is a jerk, with someone else when things get going with another character. As for the relationship, they never spent enough time together to really make me feel that connection.

We get no shortage of hot sex, but Vanni and Smiley as a couple felt forced. The plot felt a little anticlimactic with the church thing and how it ends was too easy. The secondary characters where amazing. I am hoping for Jericho and Breeze to each get a book. As for Smiley this book was just ok! I am still a fan and looking forward to more.

angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
Vanni is with her fiance at what she was told was a romantic week-end away with him. However, she soon learns that she is there under false pretenses. His father's church is holding a conference to further a hate filled protest against New Species. Vanni doesn't agree with their ideology or their plans and argues with her fiance over his underhanded method to get her there. He sends her to her room to cool down and to keep her from talking to the reporters who are there to cover the event.
Vanni went to the hotel bar instead of going to her room to have a drink and do a bit of thinking. There were very few people in the bar when Vanni entered and walked over to sit near to the bar tender's station. She ordered her drink and began to relax. The man sitting next to her was New Species but looked unlike the other New Species that Vanni had seen. He was very handsome and Vanni felt attracted to him.
This is definately a "Laurann Dohner" read... hot, sexy, with plenty of action. Its well written with very descriptive active scenes. I thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  bettysunflower | Jul 27, 2015 |
Paranormal Romance. New Species 13. Vanni's fiancée is from an anti-New Species church. She gets breeding drugged along with Smiley. OK
  C4RO | Jun 1, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,815,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible