China Rich Girlfriend: A Novel by Kevin Kwan

China Rich Girlfriend: A Novel (edition 2015)

by Kevin Kwan (Author)

Series: Crazy Rich Asians (2)

"Kevin Kwan, bestselling author of Crazy Rich Asians, is back with a wickedly funny new novel of social climbing, secret e-mails, art-world scandal, lovesick billionaires, and the outrageous story of what happens when Rachel Chu, engaged to marry Asia's most eligible bachelor, discovers her birthfather. On the eve of her wedding to Nicholas Young, heir to one of the greatest fortunes in Asia, Rachel should be over the moon. She has a flawless Asscher-cut diamond from JAR, a wedding dress she loves more than anything found in the salons of Paris, and a fiance willing to sacrifice his entire inheritance in order to marry her. But Rachel still mourns the fact that her birthfather, a man she never knew, won't be able to walk her down the aisle. Until: a shocking revelation draws Rachel into a world of Shanghai splendor beyond anything she has ever imagined. Here we meet Carlton, a Ferrari-crashing bad boy known for Prince Harry-like antics; Colette, a celebrity girlfriend chased by fevered paparazzi; and the man Rachel has spent her entire life waiting to meet: her father. Meanwhile, Singapore's It Girl, Astrid Leong, is shocked to discover that there is a downside to having a newly minted tech billionaire husband. A romp through Asia's most exclusive clubs, auction houses, and estates, China Rich Girlfriend brings us into the elite circles of Mainland China, introducing a captivating cast of characters, and offering an inside glimpse at what it's like to be gloriously, crazily, China-rich"--… (more)
Member:acappon
Title:China Rich Girlfriend: A Novel
Authors:Kevin Kwan (Author)
Info:Doubleday (2015), 400 pages
Rating:***

Work Information

China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan

Recently added byAjmagill, cyndisteel, private library, MelisaVick, CaitrinMG, katier8, Thesnak3, MorganeS, mboka

English (77)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (78)
Over the top but charming. ( )
  thewestwing | Aug 12, 2022 |
Great sequel.... ( )
  AngelaLam | Feb 8, 2022 |
I read Crazy Rich Asians to see what the fuss was about and was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed it. Not that I approve of conspicuous consumption and ostentation but like seeing a wreck on the highway I just couldn't pass by and not look. I see these overly rich characters as shallow and misguided and I think that is the authors intention. I hope so, thought I am afraid that some readers will admire them. I said I wasn't going to read book #2 but I did. Perhaps I will read #3 as well. So read it, enjoy it, but don't try to emulate it. Nobody needs to live in a 40,000 square foot house or have a 300 foot yacht and a jumbo jet to travel in alone, Kwan shows us that these his overly rich characters are not better for their wealth but instead are quite shallow and obsessed with their status and rank. ( )
  MMc009 | Jan 30, 2022 |
I enjoyed Kevin Kwan's "China Rich Girlfriend" read by Lydia Look. It was not the laugh-fest "Crazy Rich Asians" was, but it was richer in character development and I like that. Rachel and Nick Young get married, but it seems like almost every other romantic relationship falls apart. Rachel and Nick fly to China to meet Rachel's father and his family, but there are problems. The wealth of Singapore is amazing but to be China rich is staggering--and dangerous. Pay close attention to Kitty Pong's story as it ends up weaving in and out of other's. Astrid's story is not over either. Stay tuned for book 3, out in 2017. ( )
  nab6215 | Jan 18, 2022 |
More of a 3.5 and that too because the audiobook narration is very funny and entertaining.

The plot itself is very meandering and not much happens but it’s still drama which I quite enjoyed a bit during this week when I’m not in much of a reading mood. But the description of every single piece of clothing, artwork, building and food on every page kinda felt repetitive after a while, and I would have skimmed a lot of the book if I wasn’t listening to it. It’s still addictive and I’m already excited to read the finale. ( )
  ksahitya1987 | Aug 20, 2021 |

Kwan, Kevinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Look, LydiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wong, JoanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For my brothers and my cousins.
“Wait a minute—I’m in first class. Take me to first class,” Edison Cheng said contemptuously to the flight attendant escorting him to his seat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,069,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible