Long ago, Fitz and the Fool changed the world, bringing back the magic of dragons and securing both the Farseer succession and the stability of the kingdom. Or so they thought. But now the Fool is near death, maimed by mysterious pale-skinned figures whose plans for world domination hinge upon the powers the Fool may share with Fitz's own daughter. Distracted by the Fool's perilous health, and swept up against his will in the intrigues of the royal court, Fitz lets down his guard . . . and in a horrible instant, his world is undone and his beloved daughter stolen away by those who would use her as they had once sought to use the Fool--as a weapon. But FitzChivalry Farseer is not without weapons of his own. An ancient magic still lives in his veins. And though he may have let his skills as royal assassin diminish over the years, such things, once learned, are not so easily forgotten. Now enemies and friends alike are about to learn that nothing is more dangerous than a man who has nothing left to lose.… (more)

English (42)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (44)
I received a free ARC from the publishers Random House Publishing Group - Del Rey Spectra, through NetGalley.com, in exchange for a review.
Having read The Farseer series many years ago, and falling in love with Robin Hobb's writing style, picking up the next several series written by her was no major deal. But seeing another series with Fitz and the Fool in it come out .... Wow! I have read the first book, Fools's Assassin, awhile back, and seeing the next book come available through Netgalley.com, I anxiously awaited my request approval. I was not let down.

I don't want to waste time speaking about events int he story, as there is quite a bit of content in just this one novel. So much, in fact, at times I felt there was never going to be an end to the events that were happening - no conflict resolution. I know, in many ways, that could be a good thing .... But, back on topic. Hobb has written again of this world in such a fascinating way that draws the reader into the story completely. I felt drawn into the emotions of the characters, or of that particular spot of the plot, that I found myself drawn to tears easily and feeling the nervousness/anxiety of the heart beating faster at times.

I can easily say that there is going to be a third book - and I will openly admit I will hate having to spend months (hopefully only months) waiting for it to be available, either through an ARC as I got this one, or even if I have to go out and buy it. Robin Hobb writing is great! ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
So many great things about Fool's Quest. We learn so much more about Fitz, and the Fool. Perseverance, Lant, and Spark become more complete characters and fascinating additions to the group. As other reviewers have pointed out, this quest brings together elements of the Realm of the Elderlings that have been scattered throughout the books set therein. The one shortcoming from my perspective, this had a classic middle book in a trilogy ending... No ending. Story just stops and keeps you hanging on for the final book. I may reconsider my rating after I read book 3. ( )
  sbecon | Feb 15, 2021 |
Anxious for the next one to come along. I've read all the books, Fitz, Liveship, Rain Wild. Really like how they are tied together and (spoiler alert) converging. ( )
  Rick686ID | Jan 27, 2021 |
After Fitz nearly kills his closest ever friend, the Fool, many dramatic things occur. He takes the Fool to BuckKeep to attempt a healing. But he leaves his own estate unguarded. A hoard of mercenaries along with The Servants ransack the place, rape and murder and pillage, and kidnap Bee, Fitz's daughter, assuming she is a boy prophet, like the Fool. She convinces them to take Shun with her. Much of the novel then flits between the sorry fate of Bee and Shun on their journey to some secret prophet-hoarding lair, and Fitz and the Fool trying to recover Bee and Shun, as The Fool slowly recovers from the terrible tortures that the Servants inflicted on him.

There seems to be many many pages just of planning for the rescue, and there definitely are slow sections, but it's clear that this novel is ramping up steadily more for the finale of the final book. Furthermore, all the strands of all the previous series are coming together in this series, which create an amazing richness of plot. ( )
  RachDan | Jan 12, 2021 |
Picking up right where the last book left off, but still agonizingly slow to action for very good reasons, I'm sucked right into the Buckeep palace and torn between Chade, Fitz's old assassin teacher and the Fool, his long lost and scarily far-gone friend. One wants Fitz to take up his job because he's old and failing and the kingdom needs a spy-master and the Fool tugs on every emotional string Fitz has due to his many years of torture and craving revenge... and the fact that Fitz's daughter has been taken by the same people.

The first portions of the book were agonizing because Fitz just didn't know that his daughter had been taken and his keep raided, his people brutalized, raped, or killed. We get that knowledge as readers, and I, for one, was torn to pieces by the knowledge.

The slow build-up of characterization and the building upon all that history from the previous books makes me wish that Fitz would do as EVERYONE wishes him to do, but of course, it's not possible.

Still torn by the Fool, he learns of all the horrors back at his old home and goes off to save his daughter. This part of the adventure is by now one of the most emotionally pain-wrecked pieces of the novels and it gets even worse when we discover how and why he's unable to find her. In fact, he's given up because of the unique way he knows he's lost her.

All that's left is either going on a suicide run with the blinded and broken Fool against a whole powerful kingdom by himself, or settling in with his old friends who love him like the hero that he is, trying to enfold him back into their graces despite his deep reluctance.

The conflict here is so hard, so good.

And when he finally decides to sacrifice his life on a Fool's quest, he even leaves the Fool behind, fully intending to go at it alone.

But Fitz has more friends than he knows, and things are NEVER easy or go as expected.

This has got to be one of the best of all the stories of Fitz. I'm so damn invested. Like, completely. It's truly amazing. What might objectively seem like a slow tale is actually very deep and very rich, full of the whole wide spectrum of posibilities and relationships. And when I say that his relationships are vast, it's also true. This author has the ability to slam home the force of the previous events in fresh ways, making us feel and remember all the special things that made the earlier books so great.

It's one hell of an emotional ride, and far from having the middle-book blues, it is even more engaging than the previous. If I had any complaints, it's only that I didn't get as much Bee time as I wanted.

Fortunately, Hobb is tying all the related novels of this fully-realized world and is bringing all of the Fool's other guizes in different lands together in a truly spectacular way.

I'm plowing through to the last of this trilogy now. These books are absolutely amazing.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
To Rudyard, still my Best Beloved after all these years
I am warm and safe in the den, with my two siblings.
I’m like you now. I’ve gone beyond the end of my life, to a place where I never expected to be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,527,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible