Cakes in Space by Philip Reeve

Cakes in Space

by Philip Reeve, Sarah McIntyre (Illustrator)

Series: A Not-So-Impossible Tale

Astra and her family are on their way to a new space colony, far, far away. Astra is a little worried about sleeping for thousands of years, but her parents both reassure her that things will be fine. However, before she can take a nap of that duration, she needs a snack! Guided by Pilbeam, a friendly robot, she asks the giant Nom-o-Tron to make her a cake. The ultimate cake! Unfortunately, it seems to break down before she can get her cake and she wanders off to bed. When she wakes up, she's shocked to discover that they're only 99 years into their journey! And all that time the Nom-o-Tron has been making cakes and the cakes have been evolving....

A terrifying array of sweets, some very dim but possibly friendly (or possibly not) aliens obsessed with spoons, and some helpful robots all appear in this hilarious adventure. Ultimately, Astra must be brave and clever if she's going to outsmart the sentient cakes, escape the spoon-hunting aliens, and save the ship! Fortunately she has help from Pilbeam and the Nameless Horror. The book is illustrated in shades of orange and gray and, while just 200 pages, has fairly challenging vocabulary.

I hung on to Larklight, Philip Reeve's nutty steampunk adventure of alien top hats and giant spiders, all circling around a large Victorian house as a space ship, for many years. I loved the crazy adventures and it came in with a very high lexile level, which was useful. But, alas, I found that my young patrons' dislike of steampunk and wacky British humor exceeded their desperate need for books with a high lexile. It is quite probably that the books will have to go on the next weeding cycle, which is coming up soon.

When I was selecting books for the science fiction genre for my book club, I ran across this new title from Philip Reeve and couldn't resist selecting it to see if my readers would be interested. It did get picked by one reader, but they said it was too silly. Alas. However, I enjoyed it myself and I am happy it's available in our consortium in case I ever run into any other fans.

Verdict: If you have fans of Reeve's previous silly books, or those who like this particular British vein of humor, this one is sure to be snapped up. If not, it's probably best to let it go.

ISBN: 9780385387927; Published 2015 by Random House; Borrowed from another library in my consortium
  JeanLittleLibrary | Jun 1, 2018 |
Fun silly adventure with loads of illustrations & much to giggle at as my kids did. After all, who wouldn't like a story with carnivorous cupcakes, frightening fruitcakes, or a Flying Spaghetti Monster? ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |

The second in a collaboration between Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre. Aimed at the newly confident reader this is a really wacky and funny story of young girl on board a spaceship where everyone else is still in suspended animation and, due to an error in a computer command, cakes have evolved and are now able to think and have become agressive. A spectacular assault on the senses with amazing illustrations and a totally hysterical story. ( )
  MargaretPemberton | Feb 19, 2017 |
Fun--somewhere between Dragonbreath and Galaxy Zack. Book club material?
  LibraryGirl11 | Sep 14, 2015 |
This is one of the prescribed titles for Children's Book Day and again one I doubt I would otherwise have read.
I'm sure a lot of children will find it hilarious, I found it mostly just silly. There are some little touches in there for grown ups though - like the misquote from 'Snakes on a Plane'. I can imagine it being turned into a cartoon.
It is certainly original, I'll give it that.
I'd have liked the Nameless Horror to get a more fitting name at the end. ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |

Philip Reeveprimary authorall editionscalculated
McIntyre, SarahIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hergane, YvonneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nordin, SofiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Das Problem mit dem Weltraum ist: Es gibt so unfassbar viel davon.
Das Problem mit dem Weltraum ist: Es gibt so unfassbar viel davon.
Er ist ein uferloser Ozean aus Schwarz.
Ein endloses Nichts.
Und in diesem Nichts schwebt, ganz allein mitten im Millionen-Milliarden-Meilen-Mitternachts-Meer, ein einzelner winziger, heller Klecks. EIn kleines Päckchen, gefüllt mit schlafenden Menschen und ihren Träumen.
S. 7-9
Eigentlich hatte Astra damit gerechnet, sich in grenzenloser Finsternis wiederzufinden, allein mit den Sternen, die wie verschüttetes Salz glitzerten, und einer immer dichter werdenden Wolke aus Schrott, die irgendwo in der Endlosigkeit mit einem letzten Aufleuchten explodierte. S.109

"When ten-year-old Astra and her family move to a new planet, she must save the spaceship and its crew from man-eating cakes, aliens, and more"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,133,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible