Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge

Solitaire

by Kelley Eskridge

Yay, girly cyberpunk! A gripping story in which our heroine, Jackal Segura, goes from being the manufactured hope of a corporate states to the depths of the prisons of the future. Solitaire is a nightclub where mass murderers are the stars and healing begins beyond the door in the wall. (June 12, 2004) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I picked this book up on a whim at WisCon, as the concept for the novel was rather intriguing. The book had me hooked from the first few pages (something that has not happened often for me lately). I flew through the pages, trying to sneak glances in between tasks. Jackal is a wonderful multi-dimensional character, both strong and flawed. VC is brilliantly described, and the twists associated with it kept me reading. I will definitely be adding this one to my re-read list! ( )
  Caltania | Apr 26, 2018 |
Reads a bit like a William Gibson novel. A young member of the intellectual corprate elite is sent to prison and learns to deal with a whole new set of problems. I wish the main character had used more of her social-manipulation whiles, but the author blew her load early in regards to those and let it drop after. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I picked up this book in a bargain bin because it looked interesting. Beginning to read it, I thought, "wow, stylistically, this book reminds me A LOT of Nicola Griffith" (an author I particularly like). Next time I picked it up, I noticed the dedication: "to Nicola, my sunshine." I looked it up and yep, Kelley Eskridge is Nicola Griffith's partner; they met at a Clarion workshop. Whether or not proximity has influence on style, this is an amazing book.
Ren Segura, a young woman who calls herself Jackal, has had a privileged life. Born at just the right second, in one of the world's largest corporations, she has been designated a 'Hope' - a celebrity, and an example of what is to be a brilliant new era for the world. It's a good life - but a lot to live up to - especially when her jealous mother reveals that her claim to fame is a sham - she wasn't really born at exactly that time. Under a lot of emotional stress, Jackal is then, unluckily, involved in a horrible accident, and comes under media suspicion of actually being a violent terrorist. Convinced by her corporation to plead guilty, her fall is complete - and she is pressured to sign up for a new sort of criminal punishment. Rather than spending 40 years in jail, she will serve out her sentence in an electronically induced state which makes her feel like she is spending time in solitary confinement - allowing her to go free only a short time later - but wiith unknown psychological consequences.
Great characters, interesting situations and a satisfying conclusion... I'm putting this down as one of the best of this year. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
An interesting book that deals with many aspects of being alone, socially, mentally and physically.
Not a page turner, but more of a portrait.
  MattMattYS | Nov 2, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060088575, Hardcover)

Ren Segura, Jackal to her friends, is the Hope of Ko Island, the world's only corporate nation state. Born at the right time, she is part of an elite group that will inherit powerful positions representing their nations in EarthGov. She has been groomed for the moment of her ascension her entire life--it is her birthright and her destiny. But a deadly secret makes her an inconvenient liability to her corporate masters and, in Solitaire, destinies are not always in the cards. Caught between corporate loyalty and self-doubt, Jackal finds herself cast away to an experimental, virtual solitary confinement program that will change her forever.

Author Kelley Eskridge's first novel is an intense and powerful tale of self-discovery set in a convincingly articulated future. She skillfully keeps the reader turning pages as Jackal's fate unravels. Meanwhile, Eskridge deals with issues of crime and punishment, corporate power, and even fame with a deft touch that keeps the reader painfully close to the young Jackal's journey into oblivion and back again. --Jeremy Pugh

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:32 -0400)

"Since the moment she came into the world, Ren "Jackal" Segura has been treated differently. As a Hope, she is a symbol of the highest principles of human society and is guaranteed a position of influence in the global government once she comes of age. But two months before she is to assume the role she has been preparing for her entire life - when she will leave her home to represent the massive corporate entity that houses, feeds, and employs her and everyone around her - Jackal discovers that everything she believes, everything she is, is a lie.". "Now she must suffer a terrible punishment. Agreeing to participate in a "rehabilitation" experiment, she surrenders to a virtual solitude, imprisoned alone in a cold gray box in her mind, where months will seem like years and the demons of her psyche will be allowed free rein. But Jackal's history as a Hope has given her strengths and skills other prisoners lack - powers she will need to endure the tormenting loneliness; to survive, branded and despised, back in a world she doesn't know; to uncover the truth about her cruel betrayal; and to rediscover her life, her love, and her soul - in a strange place of shattered hopes and new beginnings, called Solitaire."--BOOK JACKET. "Saddled with a crushing burden she dares not share with anyone - not even Snow, her closest web mate, her dearest heart - she must live as if nothing has changed. But on a recreational outing with the others in her web, she inadvertently finds herself at the center of a maelstrom of terror and catastrophe...and in a single instant, Jackal Segura is a Hope no longer. In the collective eyes of the society that once revered her, she has become someone else: a pariah...and a murderer.".… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Kelley Eskridge's book Solitaire was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Small Beer Press

An edition of this book was published by Small Beer Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,459,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible