Brave Companions: Portraits In History by…

Brave Companions: Portraits In History (original 1992; edition 1992)

by David McCullough (Author)

From Alexander von Humboldt to Charles and Anne Lindbergh, these are stories of people of great vision and daring whose achievements continue to inspire us today, brilliantly told by master historian David McCullough. The bestselling author of Truman and John Adams, David McCullough has written profiles of exceptional men and women past and present who have not only shaped the course of history or changed how we see the world but whose stories express much that is timeless about the human condition. Here are Alexander von Humboldt, whose epic explorations of South America surpassed the Lewis and Clark expedition; Harriet Beecher Stowe, "the little woman who made the big war"; Frederic Remington; the extraordinary Louis Agassiz of Harvard; Charles and Anne Lindbergh, and their fellow long-distance pilots Antoine de Saint-Exupéry and Beryl Markham; Harry Caudill, the Kentucky lawyer who awakened the nation to the tragedy of Appalachia; and David Plowden, a present-day photographer of vanishing America. Different as they are from each other, McCullough's subjects have in common a rare vitality and sense of purpose. These are brave companions: to each other, to David McCullough, and to the reader, for with rare storytelling ability McCullough brings us into the times they knew and their very uncommon lives.… (more)
Member:CanardT
Title:Brave Companions: Portraits In History
Authors:David McCullough (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster (1992), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Work Information

Brave Companions: Portraits In History by David McCullough (1992)

The Invention of Nature: Alexander von Humboldt's New World by Andrea Wulf (rakerman)
    rakerman: McCullough's portrait of Alexander von Humboldt is a nice short introduction to the story that Andrea Wulf tells in full in The Invention of Nature.

The gem of this collection is "Washington on the Potomac." It's a love letter. Simple, affectionate, knowing, and lovely.

The stars are for the ones I did read completely. There were some I just skimmed because he had made them into larger books(which I hope to read someday), they were ones I had already "read" from speeches on YouTube, or others that just didn't interest me. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
You know, sometimes I just don’t want to plow through seven or eight hundred pages of biography. Besides Charles Lindbergh and Teddy Roosevelt, most of the information was new to me and for the most part entertaining. Personally, I enjoyed the Fred Remington, Washington Roebling, and David Plowden pieces the most. Sometimes a snack is much more satisfying than a five course meal and David McCoullagh delivers some tasty morsels. ( )
  mtbass | May 15, 2020 |
Another DNF for the pile, but I think this one has more to do with timing and narration. I chose to listen to this one instead of read it and found myself tuning out the story and daydreaming. I might try to tackle this one again in the future, but reading it instead of listening to it.
  CJ82487 | Jul 31, 2019 |
A gift from my brother on my birthday and I was deeply moved that he would share this with me. The later chapters are difficult to read, praising the virtues of Congress for example, when all seems mired in corruption but perhaps if we valued these stories more, if our vision was inspired by integrity, we would meet a higher standard.

One of the earlier stories was of building the railroad through Panama - stunningly written. Subtly we are brought to the realization that all that suffering, grinding suffering, enriched a few. That was the point. Power fueled by greed. We see it now, too, but the stakes are even higher. The life of the planet is at stake. John Adams urges our action; his voice can be heard here. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Mini-biographies of lesser-known Americans.
  staylorlib | Feb 13, 2019 |
For Rosalee Barnes McCullough
On a morning in May 1804, there arrived at the White House by Baltimore coach, and in the company of the painter Charles Willson Peale, a visitor from abroad: an aristocratic young German, age thirty-four, a bachelor, occupation scientist and explorer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,552,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible