Wuthering Heights (Penguin Classics) by…

Wuthering Heights (Penguin Classics) (original 1847; edition 2002)

by Emily Bronte (Author), Pauline Nestor (Author), Lucasta Miller (Preface)

42,63659425 (3.9)5 / 1788
The story of the stormy relationship between the mysterious Heathcliff, the beautiful and stubborn Cathy, and the people who live at Wuthering Heights.
Member:august8914
Title:Wuthering Heights (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Emily Bronte (Author)
Other authors:Pauline Nestor (Author), Lucasta Miller (Preface)
Info:Penguin Classics (2002), Edition: Revised, 416 pages

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (lucy.depalma)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.

Read (30)
1840s (3)
Romans (10)

English (551)  Spanish (18)  Italian (8)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Piratical (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (594)
One of those books perfectly in tune with my adolescent emotions when I read it in high school. Especially effective when read on stormy fall evenings. ( )
  HenrySt123 | Jul 19, 2021 |
Ich glaube, das ist so ein man-liebt-es-oder-man-hasst-es Ding mit diesem Buch, oder? Ich akzeptiere total, wenn jemand hier einen Klassiker sieht und von der großen Liebe zwischen Cathy und Heathcliff schwärmt und was es nicht sonst noch alles zu entdecken gibt. Mich hat das Buch und die Geschichte und vor allem die Reihe an komplett unsympathischen Menschen dran zum größten Teil nur genervt. Ich weiß ich bin nicht die Einzige, die das so sieht, aber wir sind glaube ich in der Minderheit. Auch gut. Nee, also, das war nix. Und Heathcliff ist für mich alles, aber keine anschmachtenswerte Person. Ein sehr verbitterter Mensch, durch das Leben geprägt, darauf aus, allen so wehzutun, wie man ihm wehgetan hat, trifft es schon eher. Was ja für eine Story kein Problem sein muss. Aber mich hat's weniger gepackt als genervt. Sorry. ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
hb ( )
  5083mitzi | Jul 1, 2021 |
For some reason, I could never make myself read this book, perhaps because of an ancient movie based on it. It was a wonderful, terrible story and for one who cries easily, a tear jerker! That being said, it's a wonderful book and this Audible edition was very well done.

Famous, all-encompassing, passionate, but ultimately doomed love between Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and the people around them.

Today considered a classic of English literature, Wuthering Heights was met with mixed reviews when it first appeared, mainly because of the narrative's stark depiction of mental and physical cruelty.

Joanne Froggatt did a wonderful job narrating, although the Yorkshire accent of the servant, Joseph, was very hard to follow. ( )
  Gmomaj | Jun 27, 2021 |
wild love of Heathcliff
  ritaer | Jun 6, 2021 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,427,634 books! | Top bar: Always visible