Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Wuthering Heights (original 1847; edition 2020)

by Emily Brontë (Author)

43,83760625 (3.9)5 / 1815
The story of the stormy relationship between the mysterious Heathcliff, the beautiful and stubborn Cathy, and the people who live at Wuthering Heights.
Member:PaMi.Eliza
Title:Wuthering Heights
Authors:Emily Brontë (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2020), 230 pages

Work Information

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen (lucy.depalma)
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.
    The Shadow of the Lynx by Victoria Holt (Headinherbooks_27)

Read (30)
1840s (3)
Romans (10)

English (561)  Spanish (19)  Italian (8)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Swedish (2)  German (2)  Finnish (2)  Lithuanian (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (606)
This intense, solidly imagined novel is distinguished from other novels of the period by its dramatic and poetic presentation, its abstention from authorial intrusion, and its unusual structure. The story is recounted by Lockwood, a disinterested party, whose narrative serves as the frame for a series of retrospective shorter narratives by Ellen Dean, a housekeeper. All concern the impact of the foundling Heathcliff on the two families of Earnshaw and Linton in a remote Yorkshire district at the end of the 18th century. ( )
  Marcos_Augusto | Jan 20, 2022 |
El libro en si, 2 ⭐
Lo hubiera abandonado como una campeona pero justo antes de la mitad se puso bueno y quería ver como pasaba lo que quería que pasara que muriera Catherine.
Después de eso, lo seguí de puro terca porque me pareció aburridísimo de vuelta. Hasta que Heathcliff organiza todo para que el hijo se case con la prima. A él (el hijo) lo ame por el desprecio que me causaba.
Después el final, como me hizo lagrimear, vamos a aceptarlo pero me hubiera contentado mucho mas si el final hubiera sido triste. Quería una verdadera tragedia.

Heathcliff me pareció un villano genial, y bastante astuto.
Nellie, me pareció medio pelotuda.
Heathcliff Jr. me pareció un cobarde miserable.
Catherine me pareció una perra, pero le tome cariño y disfrute mucho cuando murió, en serio.
El resto de los personajes no generaron ningún sentimiento que valga la pena expresar.

Creo que simplemente no conecte con el estilo del libro. Por momentos sentía que debería sentirme sofocada, o presionada como los personajes, pero no me generaba mucho o nada de eso. Solo en esos tres momentos que mencioné. Así que, ahora que ya lo leí de grande nuevamente y confirme que no conectamos, voy a ser feliz no volviendo a leerlo. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
This is one of the most tedious books I've ever read about some of the crummiest characters I've never had the pleasure of reading about. I do not understand why people tote this as a tragic romance. It's a Gothic tragedy to be sure, and the the second half of the book was better than the first, but I honestly despised this book.

I do think it's a testament to how well Emily Bronte was able to write the worst of humanity into her characters and have me feel so strongly about them. But really. Everyone's favorite quote is absolutely toxic when taken in context:
Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same...

I just...this book. No. ( )
  katprohas | Dec 16, 2021 |
A tale of love and revenge... the revenge is still going... yep still revenge... i'll let you know if it stops.... not yet... nope still revenge... Yay! happy ending, well that makes up for everything ;) .

Is this a comedy?
I mean it isn't, but i also can't take it entirely seriously nor do i think i'm meant to. I have a very thin skin when it comes to physical or psychological abuse and there's plenty of both in this and yet... it rarely bothered me here due to the way it was presented.
Firstly this is almost all flashback which immediately takes the edge off as your somewhat forewarned as to how things will go. Then there's our very cheery intro character who always lightens the mood whenever we return to him. It helps too that the child abuse mostly happens to Heathcliff who is pretty immune to pain, in fact there's probably fanfiction around where the family find Kal-El (superman) instead of Heathcliff :) .
The final mitigating factor in what would otherwise have been a grim hell of a read, is that all of the characters are shown to be rather horrible. Undermining the normal empathy one would feel, although it still does make you feel something for them all, despite their flaws which is an achievement.
So i ask again, is this a comedy?, at least a dark comedy? because it had the tone of 'Cruel Intentions' with occasional forays towards 'American Psycho' or something similar and both of those are comedy's.... i think :P.
My point is that this is gleefully horrible as opposed to 1984 or something equally painful to read.

I struggled with the third quarter the most. After the half-way point it seems as if events are repeating themselves just with a younger cast. However by the end you can see that this is intentional and actually provides a nice symmetry.
As a fan of weird fiction the mystery of Heathcliff also provided a little something extra. In fact you could actually replace most of the characters with vampires and this would still work rather well i imagine :) .

Overall, i might be being a tad generous with my score but it has some excellent dramatic scenes and some very good characterization.
I'd recommend reading it when you have some time on your hands as i found being able to burn though several chapters at a time was a very useful way to get past the darkest sections and back to lighter ones :D . ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,128,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible