Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Wuthering Heights (Modern Library Classics)…

Wuthering Heights (Modern Library Classics) (original 1847; edition 2000)

by Emily Bronte, Diane Johnson (Introduction)

38,06855026 (3.91)5 / 1718
Member:vssanders
Title:Wuthering Heights (Modern Library Classics)
Authors:Emily Bronte
Other authors:Diane Johnson (Introduction)
Info:Modern Library (2000), Edition: 1, Paperback, 464 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:classics/English

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (roby72, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë (Catreona, Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lesleymc)
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (brightbel, coffee.is.yum)
    My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier (Bonzer)
    The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (roby72)
    Persuasion by Jane Austen (sturlington)
    sturlington: Persuasion is the antidote to Wuthering Heights.
    The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins (ainsleytewce)
    Camille: The Lady of the Camellias by Alexandre fils Dumas (peleiades22)
    Manon Lescaut by Abbé Prévost (roby72)
    The White Earth by Andrew McGahan (Sassm)
    Sassm: This is an offbeat recommendation, but I believe it's a good one. The White Earth is another well written book in which the landscape is closely entwined in a rather gothic tale of human interaction.
    Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (kara.shamy)
    Hungry Hill by Daphne du Maurier (Anonymous user)
    Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (elizabeth.a.coates)
    elizabeth.a.coates: Both have very vivid settings that are well-described
    Windward Heights by Maryse Condé (TheLittlePhrase)
    Dracula by Bram Stoker (Olivia_Atlet_Writer)
    Dina's Book by Herbjørg Wassmo (Eustrabirbeonne)
    Eustrabirbeonne: Lord David Cecil's classification for the characters in "Wuthering Heights" - children of calm and children of storm - may be applied to Herbjorg Wassmo's book, and especially the eponymous heroine. What a child of storm we find in the tall, dark, savage, sensual, ruthless figure of Dina!… (more)
    Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (opf)
    Going Wrong by Ruth Rendell (WildMaggie)
    WildMaggie: Rendell tells a modern tale of obsessive love similar to Bronte's classic.

Read (30)
Romans (10)
1840s (2)

English (511)  Spanish (14)  Italian (8)  German (3)  French (3)  Portuguese (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  Dutch (1)  Piratical (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (549)
«Con un par de pinceladas Emily Brontë podía conseguir retratar el espíritu de una cara de modo que no precisara cuerpo; al hablar del páramo conseguía hacer que el viento soplara y el trueno rugiera», Virginia WoolfEl caso de la escritora inglesa Emily Brontë es verdaderamente excepcional dentro de la literatura. Falleció muy joven, dejando tan sólo una novela, Cumbres borrascosas, la épica historia de Catherine y Heathcliff, situada en los sombríos y desolados páramos de Yorkshire, constituye una asombrosa visión metafísica del destino, la obsesión, la pasión y la venganza. Publicada por primera vez en 1847, un año antes de morir su autora, esta obra rompía por completo con los cánones del «decoro» que la Inglaterra victoriana exigía a toda novela. Esta obra es una larga y extraordinaria descripción de los actos y problemas psicológicos de unos seres locos o perversos que arrastran una existencia mísera y maléfica. Con ellos, su autora nos ofrece una visión de estos personajes que actúan demoníacamente por aridez protestante que se diluye en todas y en cada una de sus páginas
  Haijavivi | Jun 2, 2019 |
Literary masterpiece explores the relationship between orphan Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw, in a Gothic setting of romance! The setting is integral to the story.
  mcmlsbookbutler | May 7, 2019 |
I'd Wuther be in Philadelphia....
1 vote Crypto-Willobie | Feb 19, 2019 |
Difficult syntax for me. A morose story of dysfunction, pettiness and bitterness. A convoluted story of difficult people and their rather twisted lives. Not really my "cup of tea". ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
300-odd pages of unpleasant people being hateful to each other.

from LT's Review help page:

Blue flags are intended for things that are clearly not a review. Blue flags are NOT appropriate for short reviews (even "I liked it" is a valid statement of opinion about a book), links to the review on another site, or reviews with which you disagree. Blue flags are intended for reviews such as "$7.99", "got this from my sister", and other clear non-reviews. ( )
10 vote amanda4242 | Jan 28, 2019 |
"In Wuthering Heights the reader is shocked, disgusted, almost sickened by details of cruelty, inhumanity, and the most diabolical hate and vengeance" ... "[it is] impossible to lay it aside afterwards and say nothing about it".
added by GYKM | editDouglas Jerrold's Weekly Newspaper

"How a human being could have attempted such a book as the present without committing suicide before he had finished a dozen chapters, is a mystery. It is a compound of vulgar depravity and unnatural horrors."
added by GYKM | editGraham's Lady Magazine

"We know nothing in the whole range of our fictitious literature which presents such shocking pictures of the worst forms of humanity."
added by GYKM | editAtlas

a "disagreeable story" ... the Bells "seem to affect painful and exceptional subjects"
added by GYKM | editAthenaeum, H. F. Chorley

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

1801—I have just returned from a visit to my landlord—the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with.
...he shall never know how I love him; and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.
...my great thought in living is himself. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and, if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger. I should not seem a part of it. My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am Heathcliff- he's always, always in my mind- not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being -...
...for what is not connected with her to me? and what does not recall her? I cannot look down to this floor, but her features are shaped in the flags! In every cloud, in every tree - filling the air at night, and caught by glimpses in every object, by day I am surrounded with her image! The most ordinary faces of men, and women - my own features - mock me with a resemblance. The entire world is a dreadful collection of memoranda that she did exist, and that I have lost her!
This is the complete, unabridged work - Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë.  Please combine this ONLY with editions which are the complete, unabridged work.  Please do not combine this work with works about Wuthering Heights, abridged versions, adaptations, or (according to convention) the Norton Critical Editions.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553212583, Mass Market Paperback)

"My greatest thought in living is Heathcliff. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be... Nelly, I am Heathcliff! He's always, always in my mind: not as a pleasure... but as my own being." Wuthering Heights is the only novel of Emily Bronte, who died a year after its publication, at the age of thirty. A brooding Yorkshire tale of a love that is stronger than death, it is also a fierce vision of metaphysical passion, in which heaven and hell, nature and society, are powerfully juxtaposed. Unique, mystical, with a timeless appeal, it has become a classic of English literature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:31 -0400)

The passionate love of Catherine Earnshaw and Heathcliff mirrors the powerful moods of the Yorkshire moors

8 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439556, 0141023546, 0143105434, 0141326697, 0141045205, 1846146097, 0141199083, 0734306423

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832742, 1907832750

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,481,310 books! | Top bar: Always visible