Dry Bones: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt…

Dry Bones: A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire Mysteries)

by Craig Johnson

Series: Walt Longmire (12)

i liked this one but I really cannot say why because everything I liked could be counted as a spoiler. This book deserves better than to be ruined by enthusiastic reviews. I thought it great fun, sinister, and I did not guess the bad guy. Love the characters and wonder deep down if Dog isn't my favorite. Thank you, Craig Johnson. ( )
  Omegawega | Apr 1, 2018 |
The fossil of a Tyrannosaurus rex is discovered in Absaroka County and not long after that the rancher that owned the land the T-rex is found on is discovered dead in a turtle pond. It isn't enough that everyone is fighting over who owns the right to the fossil, now Walt Longmire must figure out if the rancher's death was accidental or murder.

Craig Johnsons books about Sheriff Walt Longmire is a wonderful series, but I do miss the old days when I didn't have to wait a year until the next book. Walt Longmire is a marvelous character, he has that kind of old cowboy way that I love. The John Wayne feeling. Strong, reliable and tough and, as usual, Walt has a tendency to get into problems. I don't think I have read a book in this series when he doesn't end up in any way in the hospital. This book is not an exception. One thing I truly enjoyed was that Walt and Vic finally had the BIG talk that I have been waiting for since I read book nine in series (A Serpent's Tooth), the talked I waited to read in book ten that never happened.

When it came to the T-Rex story must I admit that even though I enjoyed reading it was the stuff around the case that I most liked. It was a difficult case, was it murder or not? Who would, in the end, claim the T-Rex? But the things happening around, a heartbreaking death that I didn't see coming, the openhearted discussion between Walt and Vic and then the realization that an old enemy is back was the best part of the book.

So, in the end, the book gets 4.5 stars. I liked the book very much, but I would have liked a much more intense and interesting case.

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
The biggest baddest (uh, make that largest and most complete}, fossilized T rex skeleton ever discovered is unearthed in an archaeological dig in Absaroka county. It soon becomes obvious that it is worth tens of millions of dollars. But who owns the land and thus the fortune? Who has the right to this huge world class treasure? It's on private land owned owned by tribal member Danny Lone Elk and part of the reservation. And of course, there are the archaeologists themselves who made the discovery.

When Danny Lone Elk's body is found floating on a lake, issues become even more muddled and it's up to Walt to sort them out.

There are lots of nods to both Native American culture and the problems of jurisdiction on Indian Reservations as well as the wonderful relationship with Walt and his friend, Henry Standing Bear and all the humor between them. One of my favorites of the series so far. ( )
  streamsong | Dec 14, 2016 |
While Walt Longmire and his deputies are investigating the death of local rancher Danny Lone Elk (natural causes or murder?), their job becomes more complicated when they learn that a rare and extremely valuable fossil was recently discovered on the ranch. With Lone Elk's death, who will gain ownership and control of the T-rex, Jen? Did her discovery lead to Danny's death? The dispute over Jen draws the feds into Walt's investigation. Walt would love to wrap this one up quickly so that he can focus on his daughter, Cady's, visit. She'll be bringing her 5-month-old daughter to Wyoming for the first time.

Walt was out of his jurisdiction in the last series book, and I was more than ready to see the familiar secondary characters I've grown to love over the course of the series. Most of them made at least a brief appearance. This book seems to have a little of everything that readers might enjoy – humor, family drama, tragedy, wilderness survival, Native American mysticism, romance, and, of course, crime solving.

My sympathy for Cady, and to an extent Vic, keeps growing. Walt is turning into a bit of a know-it-all. Why would a man who admittedly rarely sets foot in a church know, not just the words to a 200-year-old hymn, but also the name of its author and the year it was written? And why in the world would he recognize the names of buyers from every major museum and auction house in the US? When does he have time to learn these things, and why does he bother to remember them? (Note to self: Do not play Trivial Pursuit with this man.)

This book will work as a standalone, but it will be much more fun for those who are reading the series in order. Johnson throws in a few inside jokes here and there that readers unfamiliar with the series won't spot. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Nov 4, 2016 |
Another solid entry in this ongoing mystery series. If you liked the previous titles in the series you will like this one. As usual it is full of colorful characters and strange occurrences, as well as a satisfying murder mystery. It is clear that the author is setting up the reader for the next book with certain events in this book. ( )
  benitastrnad | Oct 28, 2016 |
Many other authors with eleven books into a series would be hitting a slump...Not so with Johnson and the richly textured landscape - and crime-scape - of Absaroka County...Johnson always tells a compelling story, and Dry Bones is no different...
added by mysterymax | editThe Strand Magazine, Jordan Foster

Craig Johnsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
She was close to thirty years old when she was killed.

Wyoming's beloved lawman must solve his coldest case yet when a T. rex skeleton surfaces--along with a dead rancher--in Absaroka County.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,068,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible