War Hawk: A Tucker Wayne Novel by James…

War Hawk: A Tucker Wayne Novel (edition 2016)

by James Rollins (Author)

Member:sherry69
Title:War Hawk: A Tucker Wayne Novel
Authors:James Rollins (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2016), Edition: Reissue, 544 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:james rollins, mystery, thriller, suspense, read in2017, 5 star review, series, stand alone

War Hawk by James Rollins

This book is the second in the Tucker Wayne series, a spin-off of Rollins' Sigma Force novels. It felt more like a Sigma novel rather than the first in the series, The Kill Switch, which leads me to think that it was more of Rollins' book and less of Blackwood's. It is not as good as The Kill Switch, but is still an enjoyable adventure nonetheless. ( )
  neverstopreading | Mar 13, 2018 |
I first read about Tucker Wayne in the short story TRACKER and I instantly liked both Tucker and Kane. WAR HAWK is the second book in the Tucker Wayne series, but I yet to read THE KILL SWITCH, which is the first book in the series. However, it didn't bother me much when I started this book. James Rollins starts off the book in such a way that you quickly get a grip on the characters without feeling lost and I was hooked right from the start with an interesting scene from WW2 that has special meaning to the storyline.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
War Hawk by James Rollins & Grant Blackwood deals with a lot of issues that get me so involved in the story, at times I forget it is fiction. This bone chilling, action packed suspense novel had my blood boiling, my head feeling like it would explode and my emotions running AMOK.

Tucker is on the run from his past, she is on the run from the present and Kane is along for the ride. Tucker has an ability to, not only read his dog, but people too. With his skills, knowledge and network of people, he embarks on his journey to help Jane.

I love when there’s a critter in the story, and Tucker’s faithful companion, Kane, is very special indeed. Their ability to act as one is remarkable and real.

Tucker is a bit damaged from his time in Afghanistan…he suffers from PTSD and he struggles to come to terms with his past.

I agree that pizza and beer is always a motivation to live.

Kane is like the energizer bunny…he takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’. I could picture him, crawling, belly scraping on the ground, head low, paw by paw…scouting. On the verge of death…more than once…James Rollins and Grant Blackwood kept my heart in my throat, not only for Kane and Tucker, but for the entire team that is willing to sacrifice their life for US.

Karl Webster is a fabulous villain who won’t go down.

“Perception is everything.”

Warfare is changing and the front line is technological. Electronic warfare, cyber attacks, psychological operations…

The age of technology has reached epic proportions in its ability to shape our future. Too many people believe everything they see on hear on TV, radio, and online, regardless of the misdirection and distraction tactics used by those who wish to hide the truth.

Could this really happen? Has it already? As I read, all my fears are confirmed. I can’t help but believe there is no way or will be no way to prevent others from stealing information, affecting our presidential election and possibly causing an economic collapse. If I think about it too long, I am left with a feeling of helplessness, seeing no way to protect ourselves. So we must be vigilant and keep on fighting the good fight, with help from those like Tucker and Kane.

Hand to paw, Tucker and Kane face death with a determination to stop THEM. Makes me so angry, the sacrifices they have made and someone, for their own greedy purposes, wants them dead.

This unpudownable, terrifying, realistic thriller pits the warriors against those who wish to rule, and I will be with them til the end!

I voluntarily reviewed War Hawk by James Rollins and Grant Blackwood. ( )
  sherry69 | Mar 2, 2017 |
This is the 2nd novel in the Tucker Wayne series and the whole series is a spin off from James Rollins Sigma Force series. Tucker is an ex-special forces soldier and he was a part of a K-9 team. Apparently, when he was discharged, he didn’t want to be separated from his partner Kane so took him along for the ride. The Army disagreed about the arrangement, and somehow Sigma intervened, (in a previous story).

Now Wayne and Kane travel around the remote parts of the US trying to heal from the ravages of war. A friend, ex-soldier and x-flame Jane and her son find him and ask for help. She believes someone is trying to kill her to silence her for some top secret work she did in the recent past. All but one of her other colleagues (Sandy) have died and that one just went missing.

Tucker decides that where Sandy worked would be a good place to start investigating and maybe he’d get lucky and find her alive yet. Tucker starts by checking out Sandy’s house with a little B&E. He’s surprised by visitors and has to do some quick thinking to get himself out of it. It’s his first taste that Jane was onto something and not being paranoid.

I really enjoyed this book and I think I’ll have to try another Tucker Wayne novel some time in the near future. It also brings to light things like how gullible a populace can be and those who control media outlets control people's understanding of reality. Cyber warfare will continue to change our ideas of what is a trustworthy source of information and what we believe and who or what we don’t. Fun book, lots of action, and Kane was a ‘character’ who helped make the book much more enjoyable. ( )
  readafew | Feb 20, 2017 |
Perhaps because I have two Shepherds (see pics), I give it 3 stars. I wouldn't say it was a page-turner, but it was an enjoyable read and the interaction between dog and owner was interesting, although it seemed the a bit fantastic. But in Rollins "Author's Notes" at the end (p.505), he shared that Armed Service expert veterinarians and dog handlers confirmed that "not only are such action [depicted in Rollins' book] plausible, if anything these dogs could do much more"!

An interesting aspect of this book is that Rollins delves into a variety of issues - his characters suffer from PTSD, the "mathematical genius" Alan Turing and it's possible uses in drone warfare, and corporations starting wars. Actually, there is much going on and perhaps that is what keeps one engaged in reading.

Like I said, it's not exactly a page-turner, but it is an enjoyable read, especially if you're a dog-lover. ( )
  atdCross | Feb 8, 2017 |

"Former Army Ranger Tucker Wayne and his war dog Kane are thrust into a global conspiracy that threatens to shake the foundations of American democracy in this second exciting Sigma Force spinoff adventure from New York Times bestselling authors James Rollins and Grant Blackwood. Tucker Wayne's past and his present collide when a former army colleague comes to him for help. She's on the run from brutal assassins hunting her and her son. To keep them safe, Tucker must discover who killed a brilliant young idealist a crime that leads back to the most powerful figures in the U.S. government. From the haunted ruins of a plantation in the deep South to the beachheads of a savage civil war in Trinidad, Tucker and Kane must discover the truth behind a mystery that leads back to World War II, to a true event that is even now changing the world. and will redefine what it means to be human. With no one to trust, they will be forced to break the law, expose national secrets, and risk everything to stop a madman determined to control the future of modern warfare for his own diabolical ends. But can Tucker and Kane withstand a force so indomitable that it threatens our very future?"-- "The second in an exciting Sigma Force spin off series featuring rogue agent Tucker Wayne and his military working dog Kane from the new collaboration of New York Times bestselling authors James Rollins and Grant Blackwood"--… (more)

James Rollins is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,562,114 books! | Top bar: Always visible