Men Without Women: Stories by Haruki…

Men Without Women: Stories (original 2014; edition 2017)

by Haruki Murakami (Author)

"A dazzling new collection of short stories--the first major new work of fiction from the beloved, internationally acclaimed, Haruki Murakami since his #1 best-selling Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. Across seven tales, Haruki Murakami brings his powers of observation to bear on the lives of men who, in their own ways, find themselves alone. Here are vanishing cats and smoky bars, lonely hearts and mysterious women, baseball and the Beatles, woven together to tell stories that speak to us all. Marked by the same wry humor that has defined his entire body of work, in this collection Murakami has crafted another contemporary classic"--… (more)
Member:danisaur
Title:Men Without Women: Stories
Authors:Haruki Murakami (Author)
Info:Knopf (2017), Edition: First American Edition, 240 pages

Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami (2014)

English (25)  French (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
This is my first Murakami and I loved it. I've read more short stories than usual in the last six months or so, and this is the best of them. They're not overly complex and, with one or two exceptions, about pretty everyday people and situations, but he makes them compelling and meaningful. This is probably my basic tendencies showing, but things like [b:You Know You Want This|40539045|You Know You Want This|Kristen Roupenian|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1533400974s/40539045.jpg|59199573] and [b:Her Body and Other Parties|33375622|Her Body and Other Parties|Carmen Maria Machado|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1485266434s/33375622.jpg|54116423] seem too experimental or intentionally shocking or filled with symbolism for me to really get engaged. This doesn't include much in the way of gimmicks, and I think the writing is better for it. ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Much different from typical short stories. Many stories have strange character development. But all in all they capture volatility of life from men point of view. Most of the stories have sad ending. But they do make you think about the things. Overall enjoyed reading it. ( )
  madhukaraphatak | Aug 12, 2020 |
A collection of paired down stories from the master of Weird Loneliness. After having read Men w/o Women and then read Killing Commendatore this collection feels like a series of sketches that lead to the overall feel and tone that Killing Commendatore brings to the fore. The fat and in many parts meat has been cut from the stories in this collection. There is little if any magical realism but instead abounds with some strange hybrid of Weird Magical Loneliness. For fans of Murakami, like myself, it was a (pleasure?) to read these stories. The stories will not leave you uplifted and this collection is probably best left to read after this 202 quarantine is over.

Taken from the point of view of broken lonely men the tales really are heartbreaking. To think that some people actually feel and live and view the world this way is just devastatingly sad. Regardless of 2015-2020 cancel culture ad-nausea these stories resonate for anyone who contends with loneliness or knows those who do. Regardless of the fact that its only ever told from the point of view of men. I dont see that as a problem. It seems pretty evident that in this case its meant as a way to show the blindness and despair and limited views loneliness can have on a person and in this case men. ( )
  modioperandi | May 12, 2020 |
This collection feels like a bunch of rough drafts and unfinished ideas that got published just because it had been a while since the previous Haruki Murakami release. But even beyond that, the stripped-down nature of short stories makes Murakami's annoying habits and faults as a writer impossible to ignore. There's no world to hide these things in. It's just one man after another feeling glum about the loss of a woman that he never really respected as a person in the first place. I've never read something so bad by an author whose other work I love. ( )
  bgramman | May 9, 2020 |
Each story in this collection weaves behind a lonely or disenfranchised man. The stories are engaging, interesting and go down deceptively easy. I'd say his retelling of the Metamorphosis and the bar owner who has to flee his home town were my two favorites. Overall, this collection is lighter on the magical realism of Kafka On the Shore and skews towards dark reality. ( )
  Cail_Judy | Apr 21, 2020 |

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gabriel, PhilipTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goosen, TedTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidd, ChipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Based on the many times he had ridden in cars driven by women, Kafuku had reached the conclusion that most female drivers fell into one of two categories: either they were a little too aggressive or a little too timid.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,682,774 books! | Top bar: Always visible