Counteract (Resistance Series, Book 1) by…

Counteract (Resistance Series, Book 1)

by Tracy Lawson

941,396,564 (3.13)None

*Book Review*
Counteract(The Resistance Series #1)⁣
By: Tracy Lawson ⁣
@silverdaggertours ⁣
@tracylawsonauthor
For a complimentary copy ⁣
All opinions expressed are my own.⁣

I've read a lot of dystopian fiction, some ridiculously far fetched, some slightly possible, but the premise of Counteract is one of very few that actually seems plausible to me. ⁣
Picture this: the government tells you that an enemy nation has a"stash" of killer poison gas, and an attack is imminent. But, the government can save you with preemptive measures. It's an antidote, and you must take it every day. You believe them. You take the antidote. Everyday. Without question. Now, what if something happened in your life to disrupt your daily dose? You don't take it for a few days. You suddenly notice things you never saw before, like the docile mediocrity of everyone, the vacant stares and empty personalities of everyone, the fact that you feel different, better, than a few days ago.
You begin to realize the powers that be have lied to everyone. The masses are subdued to best control them, but they are not in imminent danger after all. What would you do?
Counteract addresses this type of situation. It's quite chilling because it feels real, like I'm reading it in the newspaper. Government and powerful entities controlling every aspect of our lives is within the scope of plausible futures. They could lie because we would never know. Two brave teenagers wake up and fight back in the story. I like these characters for their strength, intelligence, perseverance and their humanity. This story is a cutting narrative about our doom if we don't wake up. How much control have we already given up?
I'm so glad to finally read a dystopian story that I actually believe. It's thought provoking and immersive in so many ways. Read it, and you will question everything. But, I think that would be a good thing. ( )
  JypsyLynn | May 30, 2019 |
There are a lot of YA dystopian novels out there and it can be hard for an author to be unique in this genre. That was not the problem here. I found this story to have a lot of great qualities to it that set it apart from other books in this genre and kept me interested throughout the story!

I really liked the way the story unfolded. There were quite a few people involved in the story, and each got their time to shine. I liked hearing from these different perspectives because it allowed the reader to see the issues through more than just one point of view; whenever I get the chance to see a fuller picture, I am appreciative of it because it doesn't always happen. Of course, Careen and Tommy were the main characters but having other adult voices to balance out their teen ones was quite nice.

Even though the concept of the government being evil is not a new one, the story that the author presented here was very different from what you see. I liked it because it didn't take place too far into the future; it was a world that I could easily envision happening a few years down the road. It was scary to see how trusting people are and how easily that can be manipulated by those in power. The novel had a good pace with enough intrigue to keep me guessing about how things would progress. There were a couple holes that I spotted in this book, and I hope that the author addressed them in future books ... but it wasn't a significant problem.

The one thing that I didn't like was Careen's personality and behaviour. While she showed independence and intelligence at certain points, most of her actions were a bit too whimsical and flighty for my taste. I didn't really like how dependent she became on others, especially since her first introduction in this book portrayed her as having a lot of sass and spunk. I also thought the relationship between Careen and Tommy could have progressed a bit slower, allowing it to develop more richly.

I think that this novel really worked as an audio book because the story wasn't bogged down with too many details and descriptions. The narration was done by Sarah Rogers and she did a great job of expressing all of the right emotions and matching her pace to that of the story. This is not an easy story to narrate as there are many different characters and perspectives to present, but Rogers did a great job in making them all stand out. My only comment would be that Eduardo really didn't sound the way I expected; even though he was Spanish, the accent used was more similar to Russian. Regardless, I found it really easy to pay attention and my focus never shifted from the story.

Overall, I thought this was a really good dystopian novel that explored the idea of autonomy and the role of the government in protecting its citizens. I liked the various different characters and thought that the novel was well-paced. This book definitely works in an audiobook format, and I would recommend this novel to anyone looking for a unique YA dystopian story!

I received this audio book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Feb 19, 2018 |
Interesting twist on a typical dystopian trope, but did not keep my interest. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Jul 21, 2017 |
I received a copy of this novel from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to the author for allowing me the opportunity to read her work.

I was initially drawn to Counteract by its premise. The government informs its citizens of a chemical weapons attack by terrorists. But an antidote had been developed and offered to the populace as daily protectton. Of course, things are not always as they seem....

Unfortunately, the story never captured my interest at any point. It was mostly a flat experience for me. There wasn't much in the way of suspense. The characters weren't interesting and felt undeveloped and the dialogue was unremarkable. I couldn't give this any more than 2.5 stars. ( )
  BlackAsh13 | Apr 19, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,701,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible