Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Seveneves (edition 2016)

by Neal Stephenson (Author)

Member:lbalfour
Title:Seveneves
Authors:Neal Stephenson (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2016), Edition: Reprint, 880 pages
Rating:*****

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (psybre)
    psybre: Each book contains detailed methods and thinking that goes into solving space-colonization and space disaster issues. They also infuse the issues with politics.
    The Forge of God by Greg Bear (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: All life on Earth is ending, and humanity runs for the stars
    The Martian by Andy Weir (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are about social media and connectedness turning people into bad decision makers.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (bookfitz)
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (Cecrow)
    Macrolife: A Mobile Utopia by George Zebrowski (tetrachromat)
    Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling (szarka)
    szarka: Seveneves and Sterling's Shapers-Mechanists stories are both concerned with what happens to humanity over long spans of time.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (JGolomb)
    Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: Earth looks to space to save humankind. Seveneves is much better.
    The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are narratives with a big, optimistic vision of the future of humanity.
    The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: While not fantasy, Stephenson's work does an amazing job of building Middle-Earth-like mythology.

English (143)  German (3)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (148)
A great hard sci-fi read from Neal Stephenson. The end of the world as we know it, but not the end of the world. ( )
  Joe.McLaughlin | Jul 27, 2019 |
I feel like this should have been two separate books, the first of which was great but stressful (4/5) and the second of which was interesting but anticlimactic (3/5).

Actually, I'm surprised by how upsetting I found the first part of the book, up to the start of the Hard Rain. I guess I'm really not into the idea of most of humanity being wiped out.

There is a diagram on the inside of the front cover of this edition that contains massive spoilers and should not be looked at until about 2/3 of the way through the book, which I found to be a weird and annoying choice. There are also several (spoilery) pieces of artwork at the back. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
Phew - finished this one last night. It sucked me in and is still swirling around in my head. I actually liked all the info-dump detail. It helped cushion the stark apocalyptic first part of the story and then was still a fascinating part of the second part. Some of the characters seemed ready-made from currently famous people which was a little jarring. Despite it's being a Stephenson novel, the ninjas never do show up... ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Thrilling, with a few parts where Mr. Stephenson felt the need to show his work (as I am not technically inclined, those were less thrilling). I will be amazed if this doesn't get a sequel. ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Apr 5, 2019 |
After numerous recommendations, I eventually caved and read this book.

It is a book about eugenics and the death of Gaia.

About half way through I just had to put it down. I hate space. Well, more specifically, I think that the moral hazard around space habitation heads us towards existential crisis.

If you're part of the Silicon Valley crowd that talks about colonizing Mars, would it be amazing if there was a reason it had to be done now? Not only that, but wouldn't it be even better if that reason was inexplicable? That's basically what the book is about.

"There Is No Alternative" (TINA) is a very popular political tool these days. It leads us to impossible (and inevitably inhumane) choices. "Seveneves" is the epitome of this sort of monad.

The book is fundamentally flawed in it's obviousness to the death of Gaia. Charles Eisenstein's recent book, "Climate," is essentially on this topic. The world is dying. Who cares if humanity can survive if the rest of life goes away?

At the heart of this discussion is a question around the autonomy of the human race. Can we go it alone? Would we want to? I would posit that planet earth, along with its myriad of lifeforms (fungi, plants, animals, etc.) is an indivisible whole. It's not worth contemplating a future world without that whole, and we should be doing everything within our power to maintain Gaia's health.

Although I generally like Neal Stephenson, I can't recommend this book in good faith. Stephenson could be writing about a future worth living, and instead he wastes his influence and our daydreams with fantasies of a dead earth. ( )
1 vote willszal | Apr 1, 2019 |
"Seveneves" is as hard as "hard science fiction" gets: cool bits of science and speculation about the future of technology, space and culture, with a plot and dialogue bolted on to make it more enjoyable to follow. That said, Stephenson's speculation is fascinating. He's got a lot to say about the physics of whips, glider transportation, military robotics, and everything else that can be crammed into his premise.

"None of this makes Seveneves the kind of hard SF in which you see a writer dutifully populating his universe with characters who have feelings even though you can tell he just wants to write about giant space gadgets. Stephenson’s people are vivid and terrified: they bicker and cry and perform heroic deeds."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Steven Poole (May 13, 2015)

"No slim fables or nerdy novellas for Stephenson (Anathem, 2008, etc.): his visions are epic, and he requires whole worlds—and, in this case, solar systems—to accommodate them."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 15, 2015)

"Stephenson’s remarkable novel is deceptively complex, a disaster story and transhumanism tale that serves as the delivery mechanism for a series of technical and sociological visions."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 9, 2015)

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Knowles, JonathanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pearce, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stingl, NikolausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jaime, Maria, Marco, and Jeff
The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason. The time was 05:03:12 UTC. Later it would be designated A+0.0.0, or simply Zero.
But Henry wasn't a parent, and he didn't understand that when you were, almost nothing was more satisfying than seeing your kid sleep.
She then called a meeting of the entire human race: Dinah, Ivy, Moira, Tekla, Julia, Aïda, Camila, and Luisa.
Smiling, Aïda thrust her hand out, thumb down.
“I pronounce a curse,” she said. Luisa let out an exasperated sigh. “This is not a curse that I create. It is not a curse on your children. No. I have never been as bad as you all think that I am. This is a curse that you have created, by doing this thing that you are about to do. And it is a curse upon my children. Because I know. I see how it is to be. I am the evil one. The cannibal. The one who would not go along. My children, no matter what decision I make, will forever be different from your children. Because make no mistake. What you have decided to do is to create new races. Seven new races. They will be separate and distinct forever, as much as you, Moira, are from Ivy. They will never merge into a single human race again, because that is not the way of humanity. Thousands of years from now, the descendants of you six will look at my descendants and say, ‘Ah, look, there is a child of Aïda, the cannibal, the evil one, the cursed one.’ They will cross the street to avoid my children; they will spit on the ground. This is the thing that you have done by making this decision. I will shape my child—my children, for I shall have many—to bear up under this curse. To survive it. And to prevail.” Aïda swept her gaze around the room, staring with her deep black eyes into the face of each of the other women in turn, then looked into the window and locked eyes with Dinah.
“I pronounce it,” she said, then slowly rotated her hand until her thumb was pointed up.

An exciting and thought-provoking science fiction epic—a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years.

What would happen if the world were ending?

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space.

But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain . . .

Five thousand years later, their progeny—seven distinct races now three billion strong—embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.
Moon in seven parts
Destroys all life on the Earth
But man will survive

A seven-piece moon
A bombardment of the Earth
Humans must survive

The Moon is destroyed
Humans escape to cold Space
From Seven, many
(T4NK)

Five thousand years later after a catastrophic event rendered the Earth a ticking time bomb, the progeny of a handful of outer space explorers--seven distinct races now three billion strong--embark on yet another audacious journey: to return to Earth.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neal Stephenson's book Seveneves was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible