Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Seveneves (edition 2016)

by Neal Stephenson (Author)

Five thousand years later after a catastrophic event rendered the Earth a ticking time bomb, the progeny of a handful of outer space explorers--seven distinct races now three billion strong--embark on yet another audacious journey: to return to Earth.
Member:chrestomathy
Title:Seveneves
Authors:Neal Stephenson (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2016), Edition: Reprint, 880 pages

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

Anathem by Neal Stephenson (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson (psybre)
    psybre: Each book contains detailed methods and thinking that goes into solving space-colonization and space disaster issues. They also infuse the issues with politics.
    The Forge of God by Greg Bear (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: All life on Earth is ending, and humanity runs for the stars
    The Martian by Andy Weir (hoddybook)
    hoddybook: Engineering solutions in stressful conditions.
    Reamde by Neal Stephenson (bookfitz)
    The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: When disaster hits and earth becomes uninhabitable, what happens next? Kowal's book is set in the 1950s, but should still satisfy the same itch that Seveneves does.
    Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven (Cecrow)
    Macrolife: A Mobile Utopia by George Zebrowski (tetrachromat)
    Schismatrix Plus by Bruce Sterling (szarka)
    szarka: Seveneves and Sterling's Shapers-Mechanists stories are both concerned with what happens to humanity over long spans of time.
    Ringworld by Larry Niven (JGolomb)
    The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr (themulhern)
    themulhern: Both books are about social media and connectedness turning people into bad decision makers.
    Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: Earth looks to space to save humankind. Seveneves is much better.
    The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov (BeckyJG)
    BeckyJG: Both are narratives with a big, optimistic vision of the future of humanity.
    The Hobbit / The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (JGolomb)
    JGolomb: While not fantasy, Stephenson's work does an amazing job of building Middle-Earth-like mythology.

English (183)  German (2)  French (1)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (188)
Full disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher via a Goodreads giveaway.

This one will stay with me a long time. There's a lot that I loved about it, and a lot that I disliked, but it's the sort of book that invites you to describe it with phrases like "tour de force", and it is brilliant and sweeping, and for that alone it's worth reading. Also, have a box of tissues handy. Lots of bad things are going to happen to lots of good people.

On some specific aspects of Seveneves:

The science: There is so. much. science. Reading this book may not qualify you to work at NASA but it will make you feel like you are. Sometimes it's fascinating. Sometimes it's too much (like 5 pages of explanation of orbital mechanics when all I needed was "they didn't have nearly enough fuel to get from orbit A to orbit B." But if you get through the long explanations, it's wonderfully accessible to someone without a science background.

Women: Excellent cast of strong and brilliant women characters, some of whom are scientists, many of whom have positive relationships with each other. Because of that, I wish Stephenson had gone a little further in giving them fair treatment, but overall it's thrilling to see so many women characters depicted as people.

Culture and race: Without giving spoilers, the book is divided into two parts, and (to me) takes a sharp left turn towards the end of part 1 that I wasn't thrilled with, mostly because of the depictions of race and cultural interactions, which I found artificial and morally questionable. Culture isn't Stephenson's strong suit, but he tells a good enough story that it's forgivable. ( )
  JoMiles | May 30, 2021 |
Unlike Anathem, this one drew me in right away. Unfortunately it didn't keep me. The scope and theme makes for a great story -- something happens that destroys the moon. How does humanity react? I felt like things went from entirely too optimistic, to way too pessimistic real fast. While relying on imperfect characters to move the plot along, the story leaned too much on their impact on everyone else in a way I felt didn't hold true to those people. Not as good as Anathem, but some interesting points. This book in 3 parts could easily have been 3 books. I appreciate the storytelling, and Stephenson's desire to tell an entire tale at once, but I would have preferred more "Gravity" and less a series of unfortunately decisions. ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
This book was ambitious, incredible in scope, and thought provoking. However, the first two of the book's three parts were depressing, bleak, horrifying, frustrating, and full of dull technical details. The last third was more fantastical, optimistic, and exciting.

The character who was basically a Neil deGrasse Tyson caricature threw off every scene he was in for me, and some of the other characters grated on me. I can't name one I particularly liked, because the ones who weren't despicable had little personality.

In my opinion, Neil Stephenson hasn't written anything which came close to "Snow Crash", but it could just be that the novelty of reading his style for the first time made that book more enjoyable.
  wishanem | May 27, 2021 |
Not my flavor. Too much technical detail. I don't care how the ship is built. I care how the people are interacting. I have stayed with longer than I might have because Stephenson is an excellent writer. ( )
  KittyCunningham | Apr 26, 2021 |
I stopped reading this book some chapters into part 3! However I tried I couldn't convince myself to continue through more pages of what has been going on for many hundred pages ahead. Not a sci-fi book I'd say. ( )
  FirstSpeaker | Apr 16, 2021 |
"Seveneves" is as hard as "hard science fiction" gets: cool bits of science and speculation about the future of technology, space and culture, with a plot and dialogue bolted on to make it more enjoyable to follow. That said, Stephenson's speculation is fascinating. He's got a lot to say about the physics of whips, glider transportation, military robotics, and everything else that can be crammed into his premise.

"None of this makes Seveneves the kind of hard SF in which you see a writer dutifully populating his universe with characters who have feelings even though you can tell he just wants to write about giant space gadgets. Stephenson’s people are vivid and terrified: they bicker and cry and perform heroic deeds."
added by bookfitz | editThe Guardian, Steven Poole (May 13, 2015)

"No slim fables or nerdy novellas for Stephenson (Anathem, 2008, etc.): his visions are epic, and he requires whole worlds—and, in this case, solar systems—to accommodate them."
added by bookfitz | editKirkus Reviews (Mar 15, 2015)

"Stephenson’s remarkable novel is deceptively complex, a disaster story and transhumanism tale that serves as the delivery mechanism for a series of technical and sociological visions."
added by bookfitz | editPublishers Weekly (Mar 9, 2015)

Stephenson, Nealprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pearce, ChristianIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Romero, Pedro JorgeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stingl, NikolausTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jaime, Maria, Marco, and Jeff
The moon blew up without warning and for no apparent reason. The time was 05:03:12 UTC. Later it would be designated A+0.0.0, or simply Zero.
But Henry wasn't a parent, and he didn't understand that when you were, almost nothing was more satisfying than seeing your kid sleep.
She then called a meeting of the entire human race: Dinah, Ivy, Moira, Tekla, Julia, Aïda, Camila, and Luisa.
Smiling, Aïda thrust her hand out, thumb down.
“I pronounce a curse,” she said. Luisa let out an exasperated sigh. “This is not a curse that I create. It is not a curse on your children. No. I have never been as bad as you all think that I am. This is a curse that you have created, by doing this thing that you are about to do. And it is a curse upon my children. Because I know. I see how it is to be. I am the evil one. The cannibal. The one who would not go along. My children, no matter what decision I make, will forever be different from your children. Because make no mistake. What you have decided to do is to create new races. Seven new races. They will be separate and distinct forever, as much as you, Moira, are from Ivy. They will never merge into a single human race again, because that is not the way of humanity. Thousands of years from now, the descendants of you six will look at my descendants and say, ‘Ah, look, there is a child of Aïda, the cannibal, the evil one, the cursed one.’ They will cross the street to avoid my children; they will spit on the ground. This is the thing that you have done by making this decision. I will shape my child—my children, for I shall have many—to bear up under this curse. To survive it. And to prevail.” Aïda swept her gaze around the room, staring with her deep black eyes into the face of each of the other women in turn, then looked into the window and locked eyes with Dinah.
“I pronounce it,” she said, then slowly rotated her hand until her thumb was pointed up.

An exciting and thought-provoking science fiction epic—a grand story of annihilation and survival spanning five thousand years.

What would happen if the world were ending?

A catastrophic event renders the earth a ticking time bomb. In a feverish race against the inevitable, nations around the globe band together to devise an ambitious plan to ensure the survival of humanity far beyond our atmosphere, in outer space.

But the complexities and unpredictability of human nature coupled with unforeseen challenges and dangers threaten the intrepid pioneers, until only a handful of survivors remain . . .

Five thousand years later, their progeny—seven distinct races now three billion strong—embark on yet another audacious journey into the unknown . . . to an alien world utterly transformed by cataclysm and time: Earth.
Moon in seven parts
Destroys all life on the Earth
But man will survive

Humans escape to cold Space
From Seven, many
(T4NK)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Neal Stephenson's book Seveneves was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,878,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible