The Orphan of Torundi by J.L. McCreedy

The Orphan of Torundi

by J.L. McCreedy

1917762,191 (3.88)None

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

I found Sam's story to be truly intriguing, it was a mystery right from the start. She didn't know what was going on and really neither did we.

There were parts of the book that I felt were a touch over the top but it adds to the overall feeling of the book. ( )
  magickislife | Dec 29, 2015 |
The Orphan of Torundi is an exciting tale about a teen who upon accidentally stumbling across a hint of espionage in her jungle home is uprooted and whisked away to a foreign land. Though saddened and disheveled by such a drastic turn of events, Sam Clemens will not be deterred as she continues to work the mystery from her boarding school in Malaysia. Along the way she faces treacherous opponents, heart in the mouth suspense and a dose of youthful first love romance. Despite the many obstacles, Sam proceeds with iron-clad determination to discover the truth at all costs. Her engaging humor keeps the intensity in balance and is one of the writer’s great strengths in the story telling. Throughout, Sam is a relatable and tenacious character who you can’t help but root for. With many plot twists along the way, J.L. McCreedy keeps you guessing until the end! Other than a handful of mild profanities spattered throughout, a good, clean read. I highly recommend it for adults, young and old! ( )
  Becca97 | Apr 1, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The book is a quick read and well-written. I would place it more in the YA category as it has to do with an orphan girl on a southern Pacific island who works at a missionary health clinic and finds herself in the midst of a foreign corporation's take-over plot to seize the precious metal found in the sacred space on the island. She is sent for her senior year of high school to a boarding school in Penang, Malasia, falls in love and is hunted by the baddies. The only spoiler for me was that the ending wrapped up in a split second. I had to go back and read the last two pages again to see why I was surprised at the speedy conclusion. My thanks to the author and LibraryThing for a complimentary copy. ( )
  musichick52 | Mar 24, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an ebook through Library Thing Early Reviewers. I guess I will always prefer a physical book. Reading it on the computer was especially painful. I managed to drag the file onto my ipad and was much happier. Once I finally got comfortable with my ipad and started reading the book, it was a quick and enjoyable read. The target audience is young adult and teenage girls would enjoy this book.

Samuel Clemens (Sam) is a girl who has been raised in a mission in Torundi. The mission does rain forest plant research for possible pharmaceutical usage. Sam happily helps with this. One day she runs into a stranger in the forest. No trace of him is found but she is immediately sent to boarding school in Malaysia. This book tells the tale of her journey at boarding school and the mystery surrounding being sent there.

The writing is beautifully descriptive and easy to get lost in. The action-filled plot is quite enjoyable to read. My one problem with the plot was the abruptness of the ending. However, I think most people will be happy about where the ending goes.

This romantic mystery is highly recommended for the YA girl audience. Many adults will enjoy it also. ( )
  fiberdzns | Feb 23, 2015 |
The Orphan of Torundi is a teen/youth read which tells the story of a young girl longing for a place to grow. She comes of age by way of intense fear and curiosity. Confusion reigns as she matures from a young girl into a young woman who travels from homeless to home. The character, Sam, is intelligent, thoughtful, skeptical and cynical. She is powerful and yet vulnerable. As a schoolgirl, she is remotely interested in her cohorts and their routines. As an adventurer, she is fearless and able to recover from adversity solely on her own. She questions everything, is pensive and has a negative view of her own worth. She works hard to salvage her privacy and she maintains her distance in relationships. Until one day she meets a stranger in the bush who changes her life. Throughout the story, she learns the pieces of the puzzle which will answer her inner heart.
This “spy novel” of sorts unfolds to reveal the many secrets of Sam’s present state and distant past. Cultural references are laced throughout and the intrigue is steady. J.L. McCreedy leads us through with believable dialogue and allows the reader to accept, understand and embrace the Sam who needs and wants to be loved.
It’s a road that winds unexpectedly at every turn. This action-adventure journey will delight you. Thanks, J.L. McCreedy for the entertainment. Looking forward to your next book! ( )
  NatalieGM | Feb 19, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

J.L. McCreedy's book The Orphan of Torundi was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,214,818 books! | Top bar: Always visible