After (The After Series) by Anna Todd

After (The After Series) (original 2014; edition 2019)

by Anna Todd (Author)

Experience the internet's most talked-about book, now a major motion picture, from Anna Todd, the writer Cosmopolitan called "the biggest literary phenomenon of her generation." Now with new exclusive material! There was the time before Tessa met Hardin, and then there's everything AFTER... Life will never be the same. #Hessa Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She's got direction, ambition, and a mother who's intent on keeping her that way. But she's barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, and tattoos, Hardin is cute and different from what she's used to. But he's also rude--to the point of cruelty, even. For all his attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin. And she does--until she finds herself alone with him in his room. Something about his dark mood grabs her, and when they kiss it ignites within her a passion she's never known before. He'll call her beautiful, then insist he isn't the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time she pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper. Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin's prejudice about nice girls like her? Unless...could this be love?… (more)
Member:afmhoneybadger
Title:After (The After Series)
Authors:Anna Todd (Author)
Info:Gallery Books (2019), Edition: Media Tie-In, 608 pages

After (The After Series) by Anna Todd (2014)

English (15)  Catalan (1)  German (1)  All languages (17)
I can't believe I read this...
If my daughters ever act like this then I will kick their butts. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Dec 19, 2019 |
Wow. Wow. Okay. First, let me say that I do not enjoy giving a book one star. Nor do I enjoy giving a negative review. I am also not going to go off on everything wrong with the "problematic" elements of this book. I am positive that if they are this glaring, someone already covered it. Also, I don't believe we need to agree with everything we read. Reality isn't perfect people always making correct decisions, and morality isn't absolute. I feel a book is just as valid if it has disagreeable characters and character decisions, so I don't fly the problematic flag often. For this review I am just going to stick to critiquing the elements of this book (of which character portrayal is just a part).

Summary: Tessa is a good girl with a boyfriend. She is starting a new college. She has a roomate named Steph with tattoos and piercings, which is shocking. She falls for the rude boy who is friends with said roomate, and he is also tattooed and pierced, which is shocking (it's is a big deal in this book to be tattooed/pierced). Oh, and he is British. His name is Hardin. She tosses her nice boyfriend aside because he is nice, which is boring. Hardin is mean to her, which is exciting. They fight. They have sex. They fight. They have sex. They fight. The end.

Characters : These characters experienced no growth and were one dimensional. Friendships just happened, relationships weren't built, and they offered nothing. Peripheral characters were just that. They served no purpose but to move the story along.

as for the characters of Hardin and Tessa, neither main character is likable. I'm not opposed to unlikable characters. I actually LOVE books that feature unlikable characters. However, in order for that to work there has to be some depth of emotion, and good characterization. This book and the characters were as deep as a puddle of beer on the frat house floor of regret. Hardin is the tattooed bad boy with mood swings and Tessa is self-centered and naive (so naive I question if her background included a Christian cult) college freshman. This is who they are from the beginning to the end of the book.

World Building: The scenes and settings lacked description and were quickly thrown together offering barely any backdrop. Frat house, dorm room, Hardin's parents house- It's just different places to have sex or get drunk.

Plot and Resolve: The plot didn't exist. This was just an incredibly long (Oh my God so looong) slag through two peoples relationship which was a wash, rinse, repeat series of fights followed badly described sex scenes. That is until the twist at the end that was just hasty and thrown out there to probably continue writing further incredibly long and tedious books. The twist also rendered the entire book up to that moment, pointless.

If you want a brief summary of my reading experience I can say I felt like I was trapped for an uncomfortable amount of time in my ex best friends past relationships. This is a book about the kind of couple that has a shit ton of holes in their drywall, and whose every fight plays out on Facebook. It's that friend you have who constantly complains about how badly she is treated in a relationship, but shoots your attempts to empower her to leave down because, "you don't understand how sweet he can be." If it wasn't for the audiobook I wouldn't have made it through this, and no, I don't plan on continuing on with this series.

I found out while researching this book that this was originally One Direction fan-fiction from Wattpad. I really truly feel that is probably where it should have stayed. I don't think this book was anywhere near ready for publication. I don't think the author is at fault for that. The editing for this book was just negligent at best. I really think with a better editor and some direction Anna Todd could have made a relatively good story with similar main characters. This just needed a lot more fleshing out.

I apologize for coming off so harsh, but this is probably the worst experience I have had as a reader. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |
Jesus fucking Christ.

Like "Waiting for Godot" has been described as a play in which nothing happens, After is a novel in which nothing happens, nobody changes, and everything takes place in a bland void only with less than a fraction of the artistry.

It is a laughable tale about a toxic relationship between two imbeciles who learn nothing, do nothing of import, and say obnoxious shit with such deadly seriousness that I can't help but look forward to seeing the movie actors try and deliver these lines without sounding like aliens.

I can't overstate how there was no PLOT. This wasn't a novel, it was a collection of incoherent power fantasies featuring a girl who loves the idea of being with someone Hot and Brooding, but the girl knows so little about relationships that the best she can do is conflate clinginess and desperation with passion. The book is a steaming heap of muddled and bizarrely adolescent garbage pulled straight from the cerebral cortex of someone whose sexiest fantasy is "Man hurts me and then I get to leave him and he is so sad he begs me to stay and in my infinite grace I forgive him." The narrative would have been strengthened SIGNIFICANTLY with the sudden and unexplained introduction of a nonsense dramatic plot point like a bomb threat at the school or a subplot about ghosts haunting the frat houses.

It was bad. Everyone in this book is exceedingly unpleasant and deserves one another as a result.

Positive things about the book: As far as I could tell there were no grammatical or spelling errors. ( )
  hatingongodot | Aug 12, 2019 |
Recommended by my dear friend - hoping to read this in 2019.
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
Recommended by my dear friend - hoping to read this in 2019.
  InnahLovesYou | Dec 4, 2018 |

Is an adaptation of

whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same
The people who pretend to care the least actually care the most.
I never wish to be parted with you from this day on.
Hardin is my anchor, I just pray that he doesn't pull me under.
It's dark meets light, it's chaotic perfection, it's everything I fear, want and need.

Tessa is a good girl with a sweet, reliable boyfriend back home. She’s got direction, ambition, and a mother who’s intent on keeping her that way.

But she’s barely moved into her freshman dorm when she runs into Hardin. With his tousled brown hair, cocky British accent, tattoos, and lip ring, Hardin is cute and different from what she’s used to.

But he’s also rude—to the point of cruelty, even. For all his attitude, Tessa should hate Hardin. And she does—until she finds herself alone with him in his room. Something about his dark mood grabs her, and when they kiss it ignites within her a passion she’s never known before.

He’ll call her beautiful, then insist he isn't the one for her and disappear again and again. Despite the reckless way he treats her, Tessa is compelled to dig deeper and find the real Hardin beneath all his lies. He pushes her away again and again, yet every time she pushes back, he only pulls her in deeper.

Tessa already has the perfect boyfriend. So why is she trying so hard to overcome her own hurt pride and Hardin’s prejudice about nice girls like her?

Unless…could this be love?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,315,320 books! | Top bar: Always visible