Dearest Rogue by Elizabeth Hoyt

by Elizabeth Hoyt

Series: Maiden Lane (May 2015, book 8)

4.5 Stars

Following a serious leg injury that brought his career as a Dragoon captain to an end, James Trevillion is charged with guarding the pretty, vivacious and very blind Lady Phoebe Batten. At first the position holds no challenge for the proud and distinguished former soldier, but things change when Lady Phoebe is targeted by kidnappers. In order to protect her from the nefarious plans of a ruthless villain, James spirits Phoebe away and soon the only threat is the one to both of their hearts.

Phoebe and Trevillion’s romance has been brewing for the last few books and it more than lives up to expectations. Their banter is witty and entertaining, and their chemistry is off the charts.

Phoebe struggles against the bars of the gilded cage in which her overprotective brother has placed her, and takes the majority of her anger and frustration out on Trevllion’s broad shoulders. Although this has the potential for presenting her as spoiled and selfish, Hoyt manages to avoid this pitfall as Phoebe is a charming and lovely person.

Trevillion has his own crosses to bear. He struggleswith his ever increasing attraction to Phoebe and the feelings of inadequacy caused both by his social class and the injury that almost cost him his life. Nevertheless, he faces these challenges head on and is more than man enough for Phoebe.

The kidnapping plot and revelation of the culprit is secondary to the romance. Nevertheless, there are some tense and exciting moments that add another layer of enjoyment to the story.

All in all, an excellent addition to the Maiden Lane series and I look forward to the next installment. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Very good book. I was hooked from the beginning and had trouble putting the book down. It started with a bang, as an attempt is made to kidnap Phoebe. James is there to save her and get her home safely.

Phoebe is young, pretty and wants to experience the same things as others her age. But she is also blind, and her overprotective brother keeps her pretty isolated. Her frustration is obvious in her attempts to elude his control. There is a terrific scene where she blows up at him and lets him know just what she thinks of her treatment. In the time since James has become her bodyguard, he has borne the brunt of that frustration. She has had no trouble letting him know that she doesn't appreciate his presence.

James is a former officer of the dragoons who was injured on duty. After leaving the service, he took a job as Phoebe's bodyguard. He is determined to keep her safe, even more so after the kidnapping attempts begin.

I loved the relationship between them from the beginning. Phoebe can be a bit snarky at times, reacting to the limits placed on her activities. James is quite good at keeping his cool and not reacting to her little jabs. In the six months that he has been her guard, Phoebe never really noticed him much as anything but her guard, until the attempt to kidnap her. At that point, she started to see him as a man. His strength, his protectiveness, and, since she couldn't see him, his scent and his voice suddenly affected her in ways it hadn't before. James had felt an attraction to her from the beginning, but resisted.

I loved Phoebe's sudden interest in learning all about him, and her persistence in pursuing her questions. She didn't let anything stop her in her quest. This made it even harder for James to resist her. It all came to a head one day when, in her frustration with him, she kissed him. She was stunned by the way it made her feel. Though attracted to her, James knows that she's far above him, it doesn't stop him from kissing her back. When a second attempt on her occurs, James takes matters into his own hands and spirits her away.

I loved their journey out of London. Phoebe is amazingly resilient and doesn't let the circumstances keep her from her own goal of getting to know him better. I loved seeing James start to unbend a little and show her the man underneath the bodyguard exterior. James also begins to see Phoebe's need for independence and tries to dial back his need to protect her from everything. Though he knows their stations dictate that there can be nothing between them, when Phoebe makes her own feelings clear he doesn't try to push her away. I loved how he treated her as an adult who knows her own mind. I loved seeing them take the next step, with her enthusiasm and his desire to make her happy, creating some pretty intense scenes. Upon their return to London, I loved seeing both James and Phoebe confound her brother with their intentions. The scene where Max comes to see James is especially fun.

There are a couple of things going on during the book. Foremost is the kidnapping attempts on Phoebe and trying to find out who is behind them and why. There are hints of who it might be, but enough doubt caused by other happenings, that it is hard to be sure until the very end. I loved how James had a better idea of the danger than Max did, and how he was proved right. The final confrontation was intense, and I loved James's reaction when he found Phoebe.

There was also a smaller side story of the reason James had left home all those years ago. I loved how Phoebe got him to share with her. Getting to know the people involved was great. There was a very tense moment when James's past made a reappearance, but it ended with a surprise twist.

This is the first of the Maiden Lane books that I have read, but it won't be the last. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Feb 9, 2017 |
Phoebe and James. I really enjoyed the first half of this story - an excellent slow burn - but once Phoebe and James had got together I liked it less somehow. The whole Cornwall plot line with Lord Faire seemed an unnecessary addition. ( )
  pgchuis | Jan 18, 2017 |

The Characters:

Lady Phoebe Batten
Captain James Trevillion

The Story:

I’ve always loved Phoebe and I’m glad she is giving James a run for his money. Trevillion’s family is quite interesting.

The Random Thoughts:

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Aug 15, 2016 |
Dark and handsome hero: check. Damsel in distress: check. Bodice ripping sex scenes (well, make that bodice unlacing): check. Plus, this has the touching vulnerability of a romance between two physically imperfect characters. I'm voting for it on THIS Goodreads listopia list.

I received this book for free through the goodreads First Reads program ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Elizabeth Hoytprimary authorall editionscalculated
MacNab, AshfordReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my favorite uncle, Frank Kerr — the real storyteller in the family.
June 1741

London, England

Captain James Trevillion, formerly of the 4th Dragoons, was used to dangerous places.

HE CAN GUARD HER
Lady Phoebe Batten is pretty, vivacious, and yearning for a social life befitting the sister of a powerful duke. But because she is almost completely blind, her overprotective brother insists that she have an armed bodyguard by her side at all times-the very irritating Captain Trevillion.

FROM EVERY DANGER
Captain James Trevillion is proud, brooding, and cursed with a leg injury from his service in the King's dragoons. Yet he can still shoot and ride like the devil, so watching over the distracting Lady Phoebe should be no problem at all-until she's targeted by kidnappers.

BUT PASSION ITSELF

Caught in a deadly web of deceit, James must risk life and limb to save his charge from the lowest of cads-one who would force Lady Phoebe into a loveless marriage. But while they're confined to close quarters for her safekeeping, Phoebe begins to see the tender man beneath the soldier's hard exterior . . . and the possibility of a life-and love-she never imagined possible.

When she is targeted by kidnappers, Lady Phoebe Batten, who is going blind, is surprised to discover an unexpected tenderness beneath the tough exterior of her bodyguard, Captain James Trevillion, as he tries to protect her.

Elizabeth Hoyt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,075,112 books! | Top bar: Always visible